Rattlesnake by javajohn - Model Shipways - 1:64

• 1 month later...

@Gustav Ykema Yes, just email them and explain. My kit was missing the filler blocks for the aft and stern. Model-expo replaced them promptly.

While I'm writing I should give an update - things are extremely slow and will be for the foreseeable future. There are too many other things going on in our lives that are taking me away from modeling. So, I'm down to maybe a few hours each month. I do spend a few minutes each morning with my coffee on the forum, though.

I did start re-painting the hull and will hopefully have it done this weekend and show some pictures. I put my thumb again where it doesn't belong and broke the large grating. Ugh. So, more repairs!

I think @Dave_E made a comment on his build log that he tossed the Model-Expo paints. I'm about to do the same! They dry much too quickly which results in blobs of partially set paint on the model and brush. I constantly have to dip the brush in water to keep it from drying out. That's even after thinning. I'm sure the lack of humidity in Phoenix also plays a role!

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Hi John,

I can relate! We had our first good freeze last night (28 deg) and gardening is over for the year. I have walked into the man cave all summer and see my Rattler right where I left her in the spring, knowing our winter is coming and I’ll get back at it. Like you (and many others I’m sure), sometime during each day, I open up the forum to see what’s going on with the builds I follow. Ive learned that lots of builders share other parts about their lives and hobbies and it’s fun to see them share! 

I too have surmised the rattlesnake (being a single plank construction) is not the robust tough easy to handle ship that a double planked hull model is. I remember “man-handling” my Lady Nelson and it surprised me how tough it was.

Look forward to getting back at it and seeing your progress as well. 👍😀

Dave

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Quick update - I finished painting the hull. I used unwaxed shellac as a sealer. You can see some places where I didn't quite put on enough - lots of deep lines where the planks meet. The paint bonded well to the shellac.

The blue was a bit disappointing - a bit too dark. I used Liquitex ultramarine blue, but it dried much darker than I expected. Most of their paints don't shift colors appreciably when they dry, but this one does. I should have tested first, but I didn't want to add yet a third coat onto the model, so I'm leaving it. It still looks fine in bright light.

For the hull color, I used equal mixes of Model-expo's white and Liquitex unbleached titanium. I wanted to see how well the Liquitex works compared to the MSW by itself and it worked very well

At the line where the hull tallow color meets the black, I used 1/8"Tamiya masking tape. Over that I used a Scotch brand masking tape for automobile detailing. The Tamiya tape is wonderful - it easily peeled off. The Scotch tape was far too sticky and ended up pulling the paint off the model where I didn't seal it very well. A bit of touch up work fixed the issue.

I forgot to paint the window frames, but I'll do that later. Now it's on to finishing the gunports and start working deck details.

painted.jpg

Edited by javajohn

John

• 1 month later...

A quick update - or lack thereof - of progress.

I've put all of the modeling tools away since we are getting ready for our move to Washington end of January. I don't expect to start again until mid-February. Our house is on the market and we have to keep things pristine for showing which means the model area has to be kept clean and sharp tools and nasty chemicals put safely away. I figured it was easiest just to pack everything up.

We are really excited to start a new adventure in the pacific northwest and be near our kids. My wife has lived in Phoenix her entire life, so it will be a big change for her!

I hope everyone has a happy new year!

John

Love your model!  The off white bottom is fantastic.  What color did you use or did you custom mix it?   

Washington is gorgeous, albeit a bit rainy, and everything is green, (including the sidewalks when one of our sons and his brood were stationed at Lewis-McCord)

rainimogee.jpg.b156622a45a689c13f7c440850702043.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

@allanyed Thanks Allan! For the hull I mixed Liquitex Unbleached Titanium with a bit of Model Expo White.

Washington is indeed beautiful. We can't wait to experience the seasons. Phoenix has two seasons: Hot and Not Hot 🙂 We are moving to the northwest corner of the state in Anacortes. We still need to find a permanent home but will be renting for a while we look. We've spent several weeks in both winter and summer to make sure we were good with both extremes. Our son and daughter-in-law live on a boat in the marina and love the lifestyle.

John

Welcome! Political opinions aside, Washington state is one of Gods masterpieces of creation. You and I will be within 30 minutes of each other. Let me know when your settled. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John,

Best of luck with your move.  Hopefully everything goes smoothly and quickly for you!  Make sure the rental has room for your workshop!

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"