Hello from the foothills in North Carolina

Tewhano

I have been building models off and on since I was a youngster. Mostly plastic kits. My first sailing ship was a plastic large scale USS Constitution (Reveille, I believe). This ship still survives at my brother’s house. Ten years in the Navy meant many moves and the majority of my models have not survived. The first wooden ship I built was one of the Columbus’ fleet boats but I don’t recall which one it was. It was a solid hull kit and I made a mess of it from what I do remember. It is part of the many builds that have not survive the years. My first plank on bulkhead kit was the Pourquoi-Pas, a barque that was powered by a steam-engine as well as the sails. That has survived and resides at my brother’s house. It was also the last ship I built. A couple years ago I took up photography as a hobby. Since then I have been building dioramas for photographing. Recently I decided to get back into ship building and purchased a cheap 1/100 scale schooner named Halcon. I may have made a mistake as it is very tiny and my ability to handle small parts is rapidity deteriorating. Oh well. As one of the captains I served under used to say “Press on Regardless”.

Welcome to MSW.  When the kit comes, open a build log.  It's the best way to get help and meet others.   The captain's motto is a good one to follow.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome, Tewhano, from your neighbor to the south. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since your last forays into model ship building some rather unsavory characters have come on the scene in the form of unscrupulous manufacturers who shamelessly copy wooden model kits and then sell them. Your Halcon is made by one of these companies, which are mainly (though not solely) located in China. Please have a read here to learn about our stance on model kit piracy. If you want to have a crack at a kit in a larger scale, not to mention a kit that is far superior quality-wise, give us a shout, and we can direct you to any number of reputable manufacturers and dealers.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Again Tewhano, welcome to MSW. If you have a photo of the Pourquoi-Pas, I'd like to see it. Steam and sail always puts a smile on my face. 

11 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Your Halcon is made by one of these companies, which are mainly (though not solely) located in China. 

Well crap. Yes it was sold by Jaocdoen. I would love to build a larger ship but I am on a tight budget and have to save up before doing so. Thanks for the heads up.

10 hours ago, Keith Black said:

If you have a photo of the Pourquoi-Pas, I'd like to see it

I have a look through my box of photos and see if I have a photo of it. It was before digital so I will scan it. I could get my brother to take a picture. The boat is several states away and I can't do long drives anymore. Where would I post the picture?

3 hours ago, Tewhano said:

Where would I post the picture

Here in your intro would be as good a place as any. 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Here is what I could find on the Pourquoi-Pas kit I built. No date on the back of the photo so I am not sure when I built it. I do know it was when I lived in New Zealand so it was in the 80s. Couldn't find one with the rigging and sails. I remember the sails sucked so I removed them but no photos of the finished project. Sorry about the quality of the photos. I think they were taken with a point and shoot camera. 

Image4.jpg

Image2.jpg

1 hour ago, Tewhano said:

What is a better size, pixel wise, to post images here. I see the ones I post are huge.

Doesn't really matter as such as software of the site will make them fit if too big.  I use a 1500 pixel width.  Others may use something different.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 minutes ago, Scott Mitchell said:

I just got into the group today

Scott, welcome to MSW. Please introduce yourself in the new members section where we'll have the opportunity to meet you.