HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

That is gut wrenching news Jim, I have been following along with your progress in silence for a while now.

I know just how heavy those counterweights are and can only but imagine the aftermath!  Ballahoo looks a fun project and I do hope you will set up a build log. (even put a link to it here that we may follow your progress again)

Try not to be too disheartened and I wish you and yours a great Holidays.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I am very sorry to hear this my friend. I Know how I would feel if I were in your shoes. All of the best.

Hope to have your build back on line soon,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I'm very very sorry to hear your news Jim...

I can't believe that...

Now I know better why, every time at the end of my shipyard-work I had the tendency to move the model in more safe places even I have'nt any cat... I know that my build is so many steps behind you (no masts, no minor fittings on the desk) but the danger of such accidents was always in my mind..

Wish you the best my friend and please, stay with us... 

Edited by Stergios

Thanks for the support guys.

Ironically it was the very weight of the object that I thought would prevent it being moved by the local creatures. There was even a small sill on the shelf, so the weight was not pushed over but tipped over.

The damage is not game ending but I can't face it at the mo. As I see it, the two stem pieces need tidying and pinning back together. The keel needs replacing and fixing in place.

After that get the two channels in place and re-rig the fore and main mast. Think I can get away with removing lanyards and re rigging those only.

I need to scratch replace one of the channels and the cross trees.

It's achievable but need to step back a while.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Right!

Ordered some materials from CMB and I will await their arrival. Makes a huge difference a night of sleep and surveying the damage with a clear head. All I could see was having to cut all the rigging out and start from scratch. However the lower masts are undamaged and this is a massive bonus. If I can get the channels replaced and reattach the deadeyes I am laughing (well not crying anyway...).

I hope that the reattaching the half of the stem wont be too bad but might have to be a little brutal and then liberal with woodfiller. I need to replace a fair few copper tiles though. I will get a fair difference between my old tiles and the new ones. Will a liberal scrubbing with metal polish o the rest of the hull help even out the finish?

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Great to hear this Jim, tis indeed amazing what a fresh look at something can do.. will continue to watch (perhaps less silently this time :) ) this beautiful build.

Eamonn

P.S. don't forget to link us to the future Ballahoo :)

Have a great Christmas & New Year.

Edited by egkb

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Jim - so sorry to hear of the devastation!  We call all imagine how that must feel, but glad that you feel it can be resurrected.  The copper plates should be easy to address with some copper cleaner/polish although try to look beyond the initial shiny results as they will dull back down with time.  I'm guessing that this is also a side benfit of painting the ship, repairs are easier to complete.  Your decision to take step back is probably a wise one!  I did have a slight issue myself some months ago where one of my channels was mysteriously broken (although no-one would admit to it, I strongly suspect one of the resident hobbits), but the repair was not too noticeable after a fresh coat of paint.

All the best.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jim,

I've been another silent follower and admirer of your Snake build log.  I'm so sorry to hear about your disaster!  As a fellow cat owner, I know all too well the dangers that lurk just one playful leap away -- a fact that earns bannishment from the shipyard most of the time.

I'm very happy to hear that you're going to be able to regroup and continue, as you've done such a fine job on her!  I'll also be less silent as I follow the rest of the way.

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Oh man ..... Jim... so sorry to hear about your loss.....man, I don't know what I'd do if something like that were to happen.....I can only imagine the shock and trauma that happened.....keep us posted.....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks again everyone (especially you lurkers who have been tempted into the open....!)

It's my own damn fault all of this.

I dont have a large house currently, so the lean-to conservatory is a hobby room/store room at the moment, but it also the only way in and out of the house for the cats and their thoroughfare takes them right next and above the build area(they have a small cat sized window left ajar for them). I have known there might be an issue but got away with it for so long, assuming the counterweight wouldn't shift.

Tonights task is a simple 'swap the room from one side to the other'. The storage area will then be next to the window and the build area will be opposite. This will instantly make the whole thing far more secure. And also next to the radiator...... Bonus this winter....!

Re-rigging has gone from a complete reset to cutting and retying the shroud lanyards. Just a minor difference....!

As for the Ballahoo, I will be starting a build log. It will be a nice distraction from the rigging (once I catch up....) and I am hoping to do a little side project with the ballahoo, which I will either unveil once it is complete or I might release some teasers along the way. Watch this space....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Great news - I hope you are going to have some 'before and after' photos :)   Best of luck.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Direct aftermath....!

Box caught the top of the main top mast and is actually pierced before it snapped.

Keel has snapped off and is still firmly glued to the base, but one of the column mounts has twisted round by 20 degrees or so and broken off the other column.

I saw this last night and I was distraught. Had visions of a complete re-rig, and damage to the hull.

post-465-0-32652500-1400419217_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-38652200-1400419218_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-07600700-1400419219_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

glad to see you back in here and that the wind didn't get kicked out of your sails.....wood is forgiving especially if the parts fit back together good....a little paint and off you go.  sometime the damage looks much worse than what it is.....shock...and .... awe gets all of us.......hopefully this is the case with yours....good luck and thanks for before and after pictures.....makes us all go look at what's around that could inflict damage if not moved....let's all clean up our shipyards and hopefully avoid what happened to you.....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Good to see you up and running again.. have had a few disasters myself in the past (one model in particular had damage to the bowsprit which I glued back together fairly quickly only for my fingers to become part of the fix, yup CA glue, moved my fingers away in a lavish 'Ta Da' gesture and the whole kit ended up on the ground again.. the really embarrassing aspect of this is that it happened once more!!! needless to say the air was fairly blue around me for quiet a while, learnt a valuable lesson that day.. SLOW FINGER MOVEMENTS AROUND MODELS :) )

incidentally the offending counterweight is from I assume an Astronomical Scope, what is it?  have a couple of Celestrons here myself a 10'' reflector and a 9.25 CAT.

Eamonn 

I couldn't force myself to hit the 'like' button on those photos Jim, but looks like you have everything in hand.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Glad to have you back. You made the correct choice to get right back up after the fall.  This is going to give you invaluable experience in ship model restoration should ever choose to restore someones ship as this is a tremendous learning opportunity.

Mort.  

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Ouch, I feel for you Jim a tragic event indeed. I suffered similar on my Convulsion build 6 years back when my circular power saw fell out of a cupboard. Luckily my model was just at the completed hull stage and just suffered light damage compared to your Snake. Take you time and slowly but carefully rebuild her shes worth the effort even now.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.