Norwegian Sailing Pram by DanB - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:12

Hi Veszett,

Thanks for your comment!

I think you are probably correct. The instructions do not say to cover them to make a sack for them, but I have been looking at pictures of sails with battens and they seem to fit into a reinforced sleeve sewed into the sail. I guess I could cover them with a thin strip of cloth a bit wider than each batten.

Current Build:  Sultana 1:64

Completed: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

NRG 18th Century Merchantman Half Hull Project

She is coming along nicely. I'm sorry to hear notes of frustration - these things creep into these projects a bit more here than elsewhere. But I can say that, they become much easier to deal with as your experience grows. Or at least it has for me over the last couple projects. I hope you are pleased with the results so far. 

As for the nails, if you email the kit manufacturer, they will send you more. As for enlarging holes, lots of options but I suggest mounting them to scrap wood (double-sided tape, white glue, etc.) then use a small drill bit mounted in a pin vise.
But skipping them, is more elegant and less work. :) 

@Veszett Roka Thanks very much for the diagram. I will try to add a cover to make a pocket for the battens!

@EricWilliamMarshall Thanks very much for the suggestions for drilling out the holes. I will ask model shipways to send some more nails is it is bugging me that they are not there. They also sent me some recently that was pretty dried up and lumpy, so maybe I can get them to replace the bottle.

2 hours ago, DanB said:

Lumpy paint!

Understood! I have asked twice for replacements from Model Shipways and each time they shipped quickly. Note that one time they shipped without letting me know so it was a small surprise. I would ask for a replacement regarding the paint as well. 

Sail

Added sleeves for the battens. I think it came out OK. It is still drying.  I was not sure how wide to make the strips. The reinforcements around the edges of the sail  are ¼ inch so I went a bit less than that, but I think they should have been a bit wider as it was hard to glue them down. 

On to trying to do the rigging (also new territory for me) tomorrow. 

IMG_1295.thumb.jpeg.127583257ff8df11409a8eb38c610fe1.jpeg

Today I attached the sail to the gaff and boom. It was slow going, especially as it took me a while to figure our how everything was connected.

I  worked on the block for the traveller and the drilled the holes for the line in the transom knees , but then realized my patience was starting to go,  I had really had enough for the day and it was time to stop.

IMG_1296.thumb.jpeg.f2d60cbb748be373d5d8cb0d9c818ad2.jpeg

Finished!

1976002217_IMG_13012Medium.jpeg.780e7444b414a82c4d562c526a5c57e7.jpeg

1509049204_IMG_1299Medium.jpeg.ab601bd45b1455fb9e635729b7e4f7d7.jpeg

It took a long time for me to get all of the lines in, especially because I made a lot of mistakes and had to go back and correct them.

I learned a lot form this model and the instructions and were really great, if felt like just the right amount of difficulty for my current level and I really  trying getting to try all of the new skills this one calls for. 

A few issues with this kit  :

- The transoms sit a bit off the building board and it is easy for them to be tilted, especially the bow transom. I used some supports for the stern transom to keep it square but I think, it would be better to have longer of wood strips  glued to building board on each side of the transom supports to be sure the transoms  stay square as the planking progresses.  My bow wound up a bit off square. 

- Lots of care is needed alining the planks starting at the bow as any error becomes greater as the plank angles out form the bow. The planking wound up being a compromise between the lines scribed on the transoms, the lines where the plank bevels start, and the marks on the 2 molds. I had to unglue one plank after it came out too far off. 

- The paper strip guide in the instructions was helpful for locating the horizontal position along the hull of the frames and supports for the thwarts, but there is no guide for positioning them vertically. I tried to use the pictures and the relation of the supports to the strakes in the pictures, but I had to unglue them and reposition 4 of  them when it was time to install the thwarts. I think it would be better to install the frames, then make and fit the thwarts, then figure out where the smaller supports need to be so the thwarts are level  so and the one around the center board sits level with the centerboard case. 

- I glued the tubes for the rudder grudgeons with CA glue, and they  both broke off at some point during the build. I finally used epoxy.

- The kit is short 4 brass nails and its was short  more after I lost some of them when they went flying as I cut them or  tried to  install them.

-  I needed more 0.3 mm line to seize the lines for the stays. Its a nice option in the kit. I used the 0.5 mm line, but it would have been better to raid my wife's sewing kit for some tan thread-- next time. 

Overall this model is  very good experience for someone new to all of this, and I am going to build the Lobster Smack which is the third boat in the series. I am going to spend a bit of  time cleaning up and reorganizing my work space before I start it. 

Thanks to everyone for all of the likes, suggestions, and encouragement!

1 hour ago, DanB said:

it would have been better to raid my wife's sewing kit for some tan thread

If you have to go raiding for thread, look for quilting thread. It has far less fuzz than regular sewing thread. Congratulations on completing your model!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Congratulations on completing your Pram.  You did a good job on building this model and your build log will be an inspiration for other builders of this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this. Reading the instructions for mine now and plan to start Friday 4/15/22.

GREAT job!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Thanks for your comments Don Quixote. Good luck with the Pram! 

• 9 months later...

Hi Dave. I used the Model shipways paints. I used  Warm white for the outside of the hull and copper red for the inside.  I think they were in the paint kit they sell for the kit.I think it included an acrylic semigloss varnish the I put over the warm white. Good Luck with your model!

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, DanB said:

It still took a major rubber band party to get the stern transom level and in alignment with the molds, including rubber bands around the transom holder to keep it seated in the board and a bunch around the transom.

Just enjoying “rubber band party”… and your detailed notes as I navigate this build myself 😅