Greetings from London.....

Brett Slater

I've been a member for a few years now and regularly visit the site and look with awe at the craftmanship on display. I thought it was probably about time that i introduced myself properly.

I began modelling quite young (i still remember buying my first Airfix kit from a jumble sale back in about 1970). I spent many a happy day modelling away during my teen years (mainly aircraft and AFVs) and then life happened ! Whilst i still followed the hobby i could never really get set up properly to get back into it largely because of many moves (I've worked all over the place in finance/IT mainly).

Anyway to cut a long story short i eventually got into a position to do something about this and bizarrely ignored my attic full of unmade aircraft kits and decided to build a ship instead ! I've always had a soft spot for early 20th century ocean liners and briefly toyed with having a go at the Airfix Mauretania but then i was fortunate enough to spot some plans on eBay of RMS Servia. Initially my plan was to just try to build the hull using the techniques gleaned from the posts on this site and to be honest i never really thought it would get very far. I took a couple of photos along the way but certainly not enough to justify a build log.

Once the hull was done it sat on a cupboard for months untouched but once lockdown started i picked the whole thing up again as a cure for cabin fever but again i don't think i actually thought it would reach completion - scratch building a 1/200 ship when as a first foray back into modelling after 35 years seemed like a tall order and i think it was really intended just to get a feel for the tools and materials again.

Well after a couple of years and probably about 800 hours work it is almost done (mostly down to stubbornness rather than skill i suspect) and i'll be putting some pictures etc on the site hopefully in the next few weeks. In hindsight i wish that i had started a proper build log at the beginning as i think the guidance from the veterans out there could have helped me avoid some of the pitfalls that i hit along the way.

Since the etiquette on the site for scratch projects seems to be posting a full log of the project  I apologise in advance for the meagre number of wip photos that i'll have to share (and also for my dire knowledge of nautical terminology) !

All the best and Happy New Year

Edited by Brett Slater

Welcome!

There is no one format for build logs. If you have enough photos for a 'condensed' log, then post away. If you think it better to just post pictures of the finished model, then you can add it to the gallery.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hello Brett,

Welcome! I have found pictures to be very important (along with some narrative) when showing your work or needing help with a building issue. Cheers!

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome to MSW, Brett.   Chris has offered some great advice so give it some thought.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...