What do you use to cut gunports out of plywood and planks? Or do you cut the planks before gluing them in place so they don’t have to be cut out of the gap? Was it a mistake to plank across the gunports in the first place. I’m not happy with the results I’m getting using a craft knife as it has a tendency to splinter the planks. I’ve put a new blade in the knife so it can’t be because it’s blunted.

Hope I’ve explained that clearly 🧐

thanks

Darren

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

I'd also like to know how experienced modelers do this...

As for myself I use a keyhole saw with a very fine TPI to do the vertical cuts (which have the greatest tendency to splinter because of the wood grain). I've also tried using a scroll saw blade held between two clamps (like a wire saw). For the horizontal cuts I just use a craft knife.

I usually do a roughing pass with saw/craft knife, leaving about 1 mm, and finish with files and sanding sticks.

Having done it both ways, my preference is to cut the planks before installing such that there's a bit of the plank hanging into the gunport.  A bit of sanding with the sanding stick or file cleans them up.   

For the complete planking and then cutting, I would drill holes in the plank to allow a small saw to be inserted such as one of the Xacto #21 blades (I think that's the number... it;'s a type of keyhole saw).   You could also use a short bit of scroll saw blade in an Xactro handle.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Darren,

Some builders plank the entire hull, then draw the gun ports in and I  found that it works well for me.  Once done, I drill a series of holes around the inside of the lines of the port with a tiny drill bit, then can cut the port, albeit undersized,  with a chisel or scalpel.   After the undersized port is cut, a chisel, file, sanding stick, whatever you are most comfortable using, can be used to take it right to the line.   Bulkheads are a problem if the kit is not designed properly as they should not be in line with a port, just as no frame in a fully framed model or ship is in line with a gun port.  One caveat, if your planking is the very porous and brittle common so- called walnut found in many kits, I don't know if any method will work well.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

7 hours ago, Etcher said:

results I’m getting using a craft knife

Not sure what “craft knife” your using. I cut them with a #11 blade as I plank so the port is never completely closed. It takes some technique to shave or peeling and cutting the peels. I have no problem with splintering with this approach. I file the last of it smooth and use a custom made sanding stick cut to the size of the port. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose