Introduction. Better late than never.

Dlowder

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I keep saying, "Just let me read a few more posts first..." and the next thing you know it's bedtime.
I am a recently retired college librarian in a small town in South Georgia. The state not the country. Like most people I built models a lot when I was younger but slowly life started getting in the way. I tinkered a bit off and on but never had a time or space to do much. I acquired numerous kits over the years and since I retired this summer I can start working on my cache. I think I may have waited too long to have time to build them all.
I've always loved ships, so I have sailing ships, steel ships, one airship and some space ships - real space and SF. I'm a sucker for a good sale.

The only airplane I have is a B-24J since my dad was in the Signal Corps in the Army Air Force and handled Azon bombs in the CBI theater in WWII. They were early radio guided smart bombs.
My last wood model was a 1/100 scale Constructo Santa Maria. I didn't think it looked correct for the period but it was small enough to work on in the space that I had. I work on a 2ft. x 4ft. folding table in the spare bedroom with hand tools. I have workshop envy.
I started on the Corel HMS Victory Cross Section. I quickly found out it needed a lot of improvement, so I've spent some time researching. I stripped it back down and started back but stopped again to do more research. Luckily, I still have privileges at my old library. Interlibrary loan is fantastic.
I've got an old Billing Boats Mayflower kit that I started about 20 years and need to get back to. I'm at the stage where I need to start bending planks. I have joined the Nautical Research Guild and I’m thinking about doing the Half Hull project before I get back to this one.
Last year I picked up the Model Shipways Confederacy since it was a the best price I had seen in a very long time.
A few years ago my wife ran across an old yellow box Model Shipways Essex kit in an antique shop and surprised me with it. I sure hope she didn't spend too much! I am looking forward to doing something "old school" though. I was able to borrow and take notes from a copy of "Modeling the Salem Frigate Essex, 1799." by Jim Roberts from the library at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park so that should help. It was published by Model Shipways in 1984.

Current Build: HMS Victory Cross Section

Hello Dlowder, and a warm welcome from the UK to MSW (a bit after the event but ...)

I have a weak spot for cross-sections so hope to see your Victory.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Dlowder and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have quite a collection of kits to choose from.  I like your idea if doing the NRG Half Hull planking project.  I think it will build skills that you will use on your other kits.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

I'll second the suggestion on the half hull kit!

It was a really good teaching tool and makes for a fine display too!

IMG_4641.thumb.JPEG.ae4451e4959a1bde2020bab0eb576598.JPEG

Enjoy!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard! I guess I should probably introduce myself since I've been here since early 2014. I've never seen anything like that half ship Pretty cool you ask me.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

28 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Welcome aboard! I guess I should probably introduce myself since I've been here since early 2014. I've never seen anything like that half ship Pretty cool you ask me.

Go up to the top of the page to the NRG page link.  Once on the NRG sie, hit the store link and you'll see it.  There's a few build logs in the kit area here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/135-kit-build-logs-for-subjects-built-from-1751-1800/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Go up to the top of the page to the NRG page link.  Once on the NRG sie, hit the store link and you'll see it.  There's a few build logs in the scratch area.

Will do, thanks. I used to work for a company in Medford. Ashland Partners.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.