Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Hi David, I hope you are doing well. Thank you for the compliment and advice. I rely heavily on advice from you and the other builders. We're having a cold spell here in central Florida, I can hardly wait the the warm weather to return.

I ended up only beveling the waterways on the bottom outside edge where they mate up against the timberhorns. I also broke the remaining edges so they have a very minor radius instead of a sharp cut. I kept looking at how I highlighted the scarf joint with a pencil and decided I did not care for the look so I'll dull it down a bit to where (hopefully) the joint is still visible but not so obvious.

Right now I have four of the six waterways and two planksheers in place. I hope to post some photos this week, after all of the planksheers are installed.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

This looks like a good spot to document where I'm at. I'm almost done with adding the waterway and planksheer. You will notice I'm trying different methods on when to paint, prime etc.. You may also notice the bow filler block timberhorns need a little TLC. I must have went a little file crazy when cleaning them up. I need to add a thin plank to the inside surface to make it match the flow line of the other timberhorns. I also need to trim in the outside vertical stiffeners attached to the aft outer timberhorns, plus add the top horizontal stiffrners. Next steps are:

Add the remaining waterway and planksheer pieces

Minor rework where needed

Sand

Prime

Sand

Paint

Move on to planking the stern

It's almost starting to look like a ship!

post-277-0-86586200-1362350719.jpg

post-277-0-48827700-1362350721.jpg

post-277-0-97888900-1362350722.jpg

post-277-0-56832100-1362350724.jpg

post-277-0-79803000-1362350725.jpg

post-277-0-95397000-1362350726.jpg

post-277-0-59302100-1362350728.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry, I'm happy to see photos up. You're making great progress. The waterways and planksheers look very clean.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I think you will be in good shape with airbrushing them in place. If you are framing your gunports soon you could even hold off on the airbrushing until after that's done and paint it all in one session. I've always liked an airbrushed finish but my current workshop (aka the living room) wouldn't be the best spot for this painting method. I like how cleanly the planksheers are cut in the kit but what bugged me about them was how the sills lined up to the gunports. The sills never lined up identically to how the other's lined up. I didn't even attempt to correct it because I felt that it would have been a monstrous task. For the most part, I noticed yours lined up pretty well with their respective gunports, so kudos to you sir.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

It is nice to see these kits as they get past their skeleton stage. Installing the waterways and the plank sheers really will help give you boat a face. I also love that as more and more items are installed there is more reference points to measure off of to check your work against the plans. At the begging for me all I find to reference is to use my eye and my judgment. Keep up the good work sir!

Brian

I think you will be in good shape with airbrushing them in place. If you are framing your gunports soon you could even hold off on the airbrushing until after that's done and paint it all in one session. I've always liked an airbrushed finish but my current workshop (aka the living room) wouldn't be the best spot for this painting method. I like how cleanly the planksheers are cut in the kit but what bugged me about them was how the sills lined up to the gunports. The sills never lined up identically to how the other's lined up. I didn't even attempt to correct it because I felt that it would have been a monstrous task. For the most part, I noticed yours lined up pretty well with their respective gunports, so kudos to you sir.

Good morning Patrick,

The sills were a bit of a problem, but after some sanding and a little filler material here and there they mounted OK. I just hope they are in the right position. Your point regarding the gunports is good advice. It's something I did not think of, but that patience issue we spoke of earlier is creeping in. I would just love to see the waterways and planksheers painted to see how they look installed. I'll try to hold off painting but that little voice in my head keeps saying "paint, go ahead and paint, don't worry about common sense..." 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Well Larry, if we all followed common sense then we wouldn't be nuts about model ships to begin with.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Re your question about cannon balls on Catch22's log, I posted this response: "Larry, that's an excellent question. It's possible David, aka Bahama's Diver, may know the answer to that. I will pose that question to him. If we don't get an answer there I can always write to the captain at the Erie, PA museum and ask him as well." I will be looking into this for sure as it's a detail that might look most interesting.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Progress continues to be slow, but it's better slow than moving backwards more than my typical 3 steps fwd  and one step back. I'm getting ready for a road trip north and thought I should document where I'm at before leaving. I've completed gluing on the waterways and planksheers. I've aslo sprayed the bare wood with primer. Paint may be applied later today if the time presents itself. I was going to hold off painting until the gun ports are framed but I cannot stand seeing some primer and some red paint on the same parts (the little voice in my head won).

I've also been working on the stern planking, but the results do not look very good at the moment. It appears I applied the planks before they completely dried from soaking them in water and shrunk, leaving gaps, as seen in the attached photo. I'm going to use some wood filler to see how it looks before ripping them out. I really want to see the plank seams after painting, which may not happen using the filler.

If I get to do some painting today, I'll add a couple of photos to this post before leaving.

post-277-0-82942800-1362759818.jpg

post-277-0-56352500-1362759820.jpg

post-277-0-97999700-1362759821.jpg

post-277-0-02599400-1362759823.jpg

post-277-0-59195700-1362759824.jpg

post-277-0-07050600-1362759827.jpg

post-277-0-58554100-1362759828.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

the waterways look really good larry!  I like the way you shaped them at the bow........very nice indeed! ;)  I do my planking on the moist side as well.  I cement on the first plank and let it dry before I continue.   when I pin the next one,  I cement in between the planks and press them against the other.......I don't seem to get that degree of gapping.   is that basswood?........that might be an explaination why,  because I use obechi  {kit supplied}.   if your going to do a second planking,  I wouldn't be too worried about it..

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

Thanks for looking in as well as for the compliment. Yes it's basswood, but single planked (1/32 thick at the stern for most of the planks). It probably was not such a good idea for a second build. I have not heard of obechi and will look it up. I just applied my first coat of paint (airbrush). Once it dries, a couple more coats. It looks better already without the primer showing  :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry

Your going to enjoy the airbrush a lot. A great tool.

I bought this years years ago and the box has been getting a lot of dust. Watching your building thread makes me want to get the kit out and start in. But a few other things need to be finished first.

Your work looks nice.. Wish you the best of luck with the build and enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing your finished model.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

primer is not a bad thing.........I follow a simple rule.   for light colors,  I use a light primer......for darker colors,  I use a darker primer.  it doea help to seal the wood........the paint won't get sucked up so much.

Obechi is an African wood,  from what I heard.......and it's rather rough.  it is easy to sand though,  so that's a plus.  it is possible to bend basswood to the shape you need.   then wait until it is almost dry to install it.   use pins to keep it tight against the other plank.....you should be alright.   I tried just using clamps......they just don't have the holding power that simply pinning it will do.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Larry, your progress is looking good. I wouldn't sweat the wood filler too much. You may even want a smoother stern planking for the Niagara's name. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Patrick makes a good point on probably having a smooth stern is desirable.  Yes, that shinkage can be a bear. You should see what happens up here at 5,000 foot elevation with an average humidity of less than 20%.  Get your planks super dry before you set them!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks guys, for the input and guidance. I'll use pins for any follow on planking, plus make sure the stern is smooth for the name. The sad thing is I knew the planks had to be dry, but I simply did not wait long enough. It's an easy fix and valuable lesson learned.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Larry, that is one of the lessons I keep getting pop-quizzed on- sometimes it's super hard to wait, yet we must slow down a little to get the results we want. ;). She's coming along nicely there- you're about ready to plank the hull (which I found intimidating at first).

Good luck and keep it coming... Steady she goes. :)

Hi Rich,

Thank you and yes I agree, patience is a must and sometimes nowhere to be found... :o The stern planking will be good practice for me before moving on to
the hull. Right now, I'm trying to save what I applied using the sawdust and glue method. I may end up ripping it off, but thought it provided an opportunity to try a repair and who knows, maybe it will do the job.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I managed to spray a few coats of paint today. Here are the results. I see from the photo I have a small glue lump to sand off next to the fwd port gunport. I did not see it until I took a close-up photo. Note to myself - Do not take close up photos!  :piratetongueor4:

post-277-0-20374900-1362785341.jpg

post-277-0-52679400-1362785342.jpg

post-277-0-86388900-1362785343.jpg

post-277-0-84617000-1362785344.jpg

post-277-0-82276000-1362785345.jpg

post-277-0-89074900-1362785346.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

One last entry, then it's time to pack the car. I believe I saved the planks I installed earlier. I plastered the open seams with wood putty in some areas and used a sawdust and glue mix where the seam was widest. I also fixed an issue where the port side of the planks were ~1/2mm higher than the starbord side. I still need to do additional sanding and also need to add the top plank where I'll sand in the final arch, I'm just hoping there's wood planks left once I'm done sanding. I also left excess material on the left and right for the hull planks to butt up against.

Tell me what you think, is it recovered?

post-277-0-67413700-1362788284.jpg

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

that small an increment probably wouldn't have been noticed.......only you would have known that  :)    you did a great job with the stern..... and the waterways look terrific!   can't wait to see her planked!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Larry, it is great to see that you are giving so much care to each task that you perform on your ship. Working with wood can be tricky as each piece is different from the last and from one type to another wood performs in many different ways from carving to bending to rigidity, even to how the relative humidity can contract or expand the wood can really affect things along the way. If I remember correctly and to piggy back on one of Patricks comments when I planked my Bluenose I glued each plank to each other at the width (or sides) as well as to the bulkhead. This help tremendously and kept the hull planking a little bit more on the same plain so that sanding was not to labour intensive. I also held off from planking the deck untill the hull was done so that I could smear a generous coating of wood glue on the inside to keep the moisture out. I just painted the glue on with a brush and let dry for a day or so and was good to go. Your stern planking looks to me like it will turn out terrific. Keep out the good work and have a safe a good trip North where ever you are going.

Brian

Edited by bgarden

Yes, I agree with the planking- each and every single piece is custom-made.  As a newbie, it took me foreverrrrrrr to plank the hull, but my patience was rewarded, as yours will be too!  Before you know it, you'll be on to the deck and then masts & rigging!!!  :) 

Very fine work indeed!!

Hi Larry, looks like you've got everything under control, framing looks good , ready for planking. One step that helped me in planking was to bevel the planks , it gave them a real nice snug fit against one another, and another bonus by doing that is you will hardly use any filler.!!

and, if you really take your time with it you may not have to do a second planking, of course you may want to do a second planking ,thats your choice , either way have fun with it, your build looks great !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I tried the beveling idea for the AmericA planking.......of course the wood for that build wasn't cut in the best shape.  it does work well though.  I do wonder if a jig could be made so a perfect slant could be made every time. :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I looked for the glue for 20 minutes!!!!! No luck.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 2 weeks later...

Please redirect me is this is the wrong place to ask this question. I am new to MSW.

I am about to start building the MS Brig Niagara.  I keep seeing mention of a Niagara club on this forum. Is this an actual forum or just an informal group of folks following each others' builds?

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Hi Mainstay

I think I may be responsible for starting the Niagara Club !!. 

It is intended as humour but it is real in that we do watch out for each other and help wherever we can.

Having said that you are most welcome to join :)

As Rich said the best thing you can do is start you own build log

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft