Friendship Sloop "Gwenfra," own design by Piet - 1:25 scale - Finished

Hey Anthony, thanks for the link, I'll go and brows a little.  Kinda late in the game for this model though but who knows  - - - I'm crazy enough to build another one in a larger scale.  I have that drawing of the sail plan and used to rig my model, worked like a charm.

Yeah, these Friendship sloops are lovely and in my next life I'll have a real one to sail, together with my dear wife  :)

Mark, thanks for defending my excuse  ;) My mom didn't raise a dummy  :)

Actually, because the poplar I used was not very kind to me, it didn't cooperate well at some of the critical cuts at the rabbet line.  This way I had more control over it.  If I'm ever nuts enough to build another one then I'll use a better and harder wood, for sure.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Having been absent from the shipyard today due to more domestic chores I'll post a few pics of a few frames taped to the keel.  As mentioned before I taped a strip of paper to the tops of the frames with a pencil line at the center.  This helped me in ensuring that all frames would be centered on the keel.   I also added a cross plate to the bottom of the frame.  This had two functions, one is to reinforce the frame and secondly, it was to serve as the support for the cabin deck.  

I used a protractor set at 7 degrees to place the frame at true vertical to the waterline.  Then a small square at the frame location on the drawing to see that they match.  I used a string from the center line of the bow to the center of the stern lining up the centerlines on the paper strip as well as centering the frames to the keel.

After all the frames were checked and double checked I glued the frames to the keel.  I had no means to clamp the frames to the keel as the glue was curing so I used tape to hold them in place.  After the glue had cured for half a day and checking again for correct positioning I drilled holes diagonally through the bottom of the frames into the keel so they could be pinned.

All frames are a little higher then the deck sheer but each is marked on the outside for the deck sheer.

I have not taken any photos of this process and will also not show any more pics of mounting all the frames.  When you have seen one you have seen all.  ;)

post-1399-0-74008300-1376618261_thumb.jpg

This shows frame 6a temporarily taped to the keel to check against the lines in the drawing.  That orange thingy behind the build dock is the cheapy plastic protractor of sorts I used for true vertical.  

post-1399-0-70519500-1376618282_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the clear plastic tape I used to hold the frame in place while I could do the checking.  You can also see the splices.

Cheers

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you all for your like votes.

I shall not bother showing the temporary placement of all the frames, you've seen one then you've seen all  ;)  There were two frames I had to remake because I found out later when putting the shear batten on I must cut them on the wrong pencil line.  

There are several pictures I forgot to make in the build op to this stage.  At this stage I had made the forecastle bulkhead and all the other cabin bulkheads .  As mentioned in a previous post that I made my own plywood from cherry veneer.  I made 1/8 inch for the bulkheads and 1/16 inch plywood for the interior paneling and bunks. 

I also made an access door in the forecastle bulkhead to the sail locker where the generator with the fuel tank and potable water tank are.  The door works.

post-1399-0-61369100-1376963381_thumb.jpg

View from the stern with all bulkheads installed.  The cabin deck planking was also glued in and you may see part of the forecastle door.  looking at this pic and the next one from the bow I thought that the cabin roof seemed to be a little too high.  It just didn't look right to me.  You'll notice in future installments that I cut them down a little.   Oh, there were a few other changes I made like adding small cupboards in the galley where the oval openings are.  

post-1399-0-66164800-1376963402_thumb.jpg

View from the bow.  This pic really shows my displeasure with the hight of the cabin bulkheads.   

post-1399-0-72217000-1376963424_thumb.jpg

An aerial view.  Here you can clearly see the door in the forecastle.  The head, cabin and galley deck are on the same level.  Right behind the forecastle bulkhead is the head and wash room.  There will be a curtain for privacy.  The opening in the deck framing ahead of the forecastle bulkhead is for the sail locker hatch and the mast.

post-1399-0-53060100-1376963446_thumb.jpg

Port side side view.  In retrospect I could have made the stern deadwood a little higher but it worked out okay with the frames extended.  If or when I'll remake this model in a larger scale I'll certainly will do that.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

If or when I'll remake this model in a larger scale I'll certainly will do that.

Now there is a cracking idea? what about 1/12th scale of a 25 or 30 footer.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The framing looks good, nice lines.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you all for your "like" votes, much appreciated.

Anthony my friend, you have the talent, just look at your nice little yawl!  That thing is awesome.

Michael, thanks for dropping in and actually I would build a 35 foot sloop at 1:12!  That's a nice scale to get a lot of good detail.  I'll also use better wood.  May not have to make my own plywood  ;)

Thank you Cap'n Bob,  Yes, she's really beginning to show her fine lines.  The Admiral (Gwen) also likes her and it's currently proudly displayed on the dresser in the breakfast nook.

Talking about the Admiral, she's driving back Thursday from Pittsburgh, PA.  900 miles and 13 hours on the road.  She's one brave lady.  Problem is though, there'll be lots of rain on the way and she dreads driving in the rain.  Keep our fingers crossed.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello friends,

Good news, the Admiral, Gwen, made it back home safe.  She left at 05:50 from Coraopolis, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh) and pulled in dockside at the shipyard at 18:40, 13 hours on the nose for 900 miles.

Needles to say I had very little time to devote on ship building in the last few days, lost of little chores and talking.  She wanted me to cut off the nut branches of our queen palms.  A messy job.

Even so, I managed to do some work on the O 19 sub this afternoon.

So this evening a like to add a few more pics of the sloop.  I have only one picture of the planking, I figured all y'all know how to plank boats and ships and besides, there is a great tutorial right here on MSW.

I used a little unorthodox method as you'll see but it worked for me.  The white strings you see are aircraft rib stitching cord, left over from my previous life as antique aircraft restorer.  Yes, I also used clothe pins clamping the planks to the ribs and large C clamps.  The cord also ensured a nice close seam.

It's obvious that I didn't really follow the planking tutorial, I wanted the hull closed quickly and was not too concerned in following the standard practice, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a bad boy  :(  ;)  :P

I figured that it's going to be painted anyway so why "wasting" so much time.  I learned enough for the next planned project, the VOC ship "Surabaya."  Which btw worked out just fine.

Oaky, the pics will tell the story.

post-1399-0-75511400-1377568254_thumb.jpg

One of the stages of planking in progress.  

post-1399-0-40104800-1377568282_thumb.jpg

Starboard view of the planking completed.  Some sanding was started.  Here I had not yet lowered the tops of the cabin bulkheads.

post-1399-0-90882100-1377568302_thumb.jpg

Port view of the completed planking.  Some sanding was started and you can see that I added some wood filler in spots.  

post-1399-0-94325600-1377568326_thumb.jpg

Top view of planked hull. I also completed gluing in the cabin deck planks.  The forecastle access door is clearly visible and I framed the forecastle hatch and mast holes.

post-1399-0-12040600-1377568352_thumb.jpg

Bow view of planked hull.  You can see that I added a little filler where the planks met the rabbet, it was a little rough.  This and the following picture were taken after I cut down the tops of the cabin bulkheads.  It proved to have been the right decision.  

post-1399-0-11566700-1377568375_thumb.jpg

Stern view of the planked hull.  This shows the cut down bulkheads really well.  I had to use just a little filler on the transom.  Overall I had to use very little filler, Everything flowed quite nicely.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice planking.  Looking fine.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thank you Cap'n Bob,  the planking did come out okay although I did not follow standard procedure.  But who is to know now that she is painted  :)  Just don't tell anyone, okay?  ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I wouldn't dare tell because that's what I do too.

Bob

Hey Cap'n'Bob you mean to tell me there is another one who "cheats" once in a while ?  ;)

If I ever get to building another sloop in a larger scale I'll stick to the book, promise  :)

Hello Harvey, thanks for dropping in.  Did you get a glass of Belgian beer and some popcorn?  Beer was in the fridge and the popcorn is on the dresser.

Ah, yes, the interior - - - - you aint seen nothing yet my friend.  Wait till we get to do the interior furnishings!  Talking about tedious work - - - - that's why I would like to build a larger scale to really do it justice.

More to come soon!

Cheers  :cheers:  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

If I ever get to building another sloop in a larger scale I'll stick to the book, promise  :)

Aw,  Come on now.  That's no fun.  :D  :P

First of all my sincere thanks to all for your like votes, really appreciate it.

Hi Bob, thanks for keeping an eye on me and my build.  I like your new project!  Well, sticking to the actual ways of building a boat or ship should be the challenge for us.  I just ran out of patience and figured that with the boat painted it was just too time consuming because I wanted to start with the VOC model.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;)

Today I'm showing all y'all the next stage of the build, the start of the interior.  There are obviously many steps between my last post and this one I have not photographed, shame on me, just too busy building  :)

As mentioned some time ago I made my own thin plywood for the interior paneling.  I had some 1/4 inch plywood from Home Depot left over that I used to repair a friend's speaker cabinet and the finished side was cherry, nice looking veneer on a junk core.  The back side was a light colored wood veneer of an unknown type of wood.  I cut 6 inch wide planks and carefully separated the veneers and then glued the two finishing veneers back together.  I wound up having nice stiff but still bendable planks.  I left just a smidgen of the core but hardly worth mentioning.

The biggest aggravation with the poplar wood I used for all the framing was that it "fuzzes" a lot.  I couldn't get rid of the wood hairs.  Fortunately most is hidden but it sure makes the pics lousy to look at before everything was covered.

Okay, the pics can tell the story better.  I'll also make a few comments.

post-1399-0-76084600-1377818343_thumb.jpg

With the home made plywood I paneled the head and the main cabin area.  I also made the lower two bunks.  Unfortunately I didn't make a picture of the inside of the "potty," it has an actual bowl with a pipe going down to the imaginary dry-chem holding tank.  And yes, the lid actually hinges to allow one to do their "duty."  The wash basin is from a plastic safety stopper of a milk carton.  The spigot is made from a copper tube and the faucet is from copper wire.  Aft of the bunks are hanging closets where I eventually made small lockers on the top.  All of them will have workable doors.

I made a bunch of hanging knees for the deck support framing and fastened them to through the paneling into the frames.  Okay, I just glued them to the paneling  ;)  

post-1399-0-87830300-1377824384_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the head. On the forecastle bulkhead is a small closet for "potty" supplies. As mentioned above the lid actually hinges, perhaps you can see the hinges in back of it.  Everything is still in the rough.

post-1399-0-02908000-1377818416_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the wash basin.  There is storage space below the sink and the waste water is piped overboard.  As mentioned it's all still in the rough and unfinished and full of debris.  

post-1399-0-62162400-1377818450_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the entire cabin and head area. The door to the forecastle opens towards the port side, you should be able to see the top hinge.  I still needed to make the handle when this pic was taken.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice details Piet. Interesting comment about the home grown plywood.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Michael, thanks for your kind comment!  The plywood, yes, I wanted to try doing it and didn't want to drive 30 miles to Hobby Lobby for a sheet of 1 mm.  At least I can now say that about 99 % is really scratch build.  Hey, I'm retired and besides a few home related chores what else is there? Okay there is drawing, painting, hiking, photography and etc.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Your detail is amazing.

Bob

Ho Bob,  yeah, well, I was imagining building a real 30 foot sloop and wanted as many of the amenities on board as I could possible cram into this small model.  I need space for four, the Admiral, the daughter and grandson and then me, the skipper  :)

I really enjoyed doing the extras and it worked out okay, at least the Admiral is happy with it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello friends,

A lot of things have happened between the last post and this one.  Thinking back now, I am sorry for not making more pictures of the different steps involved in the building phase.

In this episode I'll try to describe what was done in some detail.  Dialog has to suffice with the lack of pics of each step but let your imagination go then you'll see the picture appear in your mind  ;)  

post-1399-0-45616100-1378000440_thumb.jpg

This picture was taken outside due to better light for a slow camera lens  ;) It shows a side view forward. Starting at the front, I added and installed a roof beam over the opening to the head. I stained most of the cabin with cherry except the new top bunks and the table.  These bunks are like dresser drawers and "roll" on tracks fastened to the bulkheads. No, in the model they slide on small strips of wood that are glued to the bulkheads.  The bunks were also made with my home made plywood.  Reason for making the top bunks movable is that the deck knees makes the space a little cramped, not much headroom.  Just imagine having a ladder that hooks over the edge to climb on them  ;)  I made a table with foldable side blades.  The legs also fold in against the bottom of the table blades. The table has two sturdy legs that are pinned to the deck to make the table removable.  When it is time to crawl into the bunks the table will be folded in and the top bunks pulled out.  I added a shelf in the port side hanging closet for the galley cupboard, the starboard side followed. 

post-1399-0-80570200-1378000458_thumb.jpg

Top view looking aft.  Continue from the bunks, I added partitions on the top of the hanging closets to make the small cupboards for the galley above them. A lot of small strips of wood for the framing involved.  The galley was also semi completed here. On the port side is the counter with a stainless steel top and a stainless steel backsplash is yet to be installed.  I made these from an empty beer can.  There are of course a few doors below for access to storage. I neglected to make a propane burner unit of three burners.  Was going to but just forgot.

On the starboard side are the counters for the sink and food prep.  The sink is also made from an empty beer can.  It has spigots for hot and cold running water!  These are made from copper electrical wire and the faucet is from copper tubing. There is a small fridge as well and more storage. Yes, there is a small electric hot water heater! Later on in the build I made a few changes to the bulkhead with the half moon shapes. I also installed the cockpit deck (floor).  Okay, that raps it up for now.

As a note of interest, that spindly deck framing over the bunks are surprisingly strong.  Hmmm, how do I know :P

More to come in the next episode.

Cheers, :cheers:

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Friends,

Thank you all for your "likes", really appreciated.

A few things happened in the progress of this build in this installment.  I started the deck planking here and made my own plywood again.  I decided to use plywood instead of planks.  for a small boat it seemed logical and easier.  In real life we would use marine grade plywood but here I used my own method of making plywood.  The deck was going to be painted anyhow with non-skid paint.

I also "planked' the vertical sides of the cabin above the deck and cut the portholes in it.  I used file folder paper for the portholes and clear plastic from small food packaging trays from the supermarket.

I also finished the galley cupboards and made the doors for them as well as doors for the hanging closets in the cabin. 

I also installed the seat supports in the cockpit and drilled the hole for the helm shaft.  A tricky one because the largest collet for the flex attachment did not go up to the drill size I needed. So I had to drill the final hole by twisting the drill bit with my fingers.

Attached are four pictures that'll tell the story better.

post-1399-0-91653600-1378085634_thumb.jpg

I had to remove the table and top bunks to give me some space for the Proxxon flex extension.  I also poly urethane the cabin and galley.  The deck is partially covered and is still a little too large but over all it fits nicely.  This is my own made plywood and is about 2 mm thick.  I forgot how I clamped the side deck pieces.  In this picture you can hardly see the top bunk tracks.  The galley cupboard doors are also made and hung. I made two doors on the port side and the cupboard is also a bit larger then the starboard one.

post-1399-0-67923100-1378085600_thumb.jpg

A top port side view. I made a hatch opening for the forecastle/sail locker/appliance compartment.  The mast stump is only a temporary thing.  Here you can see the cockpit seat supports and the helm shaft hole.  The cabin upper sides are also made from home made plywood.  It was a fun experiment but too time consuming.  It would be better to buy 1 and 2 mm plywood in the hobby store.  That's what I have done for the O 19 sub I'm building. I have glued 2, 3 and 4 layers of 1 mm ply together to get the thickness I needed.  It's very strong and can be shaped into an airfoil when needed and won't twist or warp!.

post-1399-0-36291000-1378085663_thumb.jpg

Starboard top side view.  Here you can see the top bunk tracks and the galley cupboard doors. Yes, they do also have handles on them and work.  Here you can also see the hanging closet doors, they too have handles on them and work.  btw the hinges are made from file folder paper.  The stick stuck in a hole in the build board is what I have used to apply small daubs of glue, mainly for the hinges and door handles. 

post-1399-0-32006500-1378087162_thumb.jpg

Side view, starboard side.  Not much else to add except that the deck still needs to be trimmed.  Looking at it now I could have made the cabin just a smidgin higher but when she is in the water she seems to exude speed this way.  I thought of making the forward end bowed but that would have taken away a lot of headroom in the head and washroom.  I had to use very little wood filler on the model but only where needed to hide the plank seems when painted. I was pretty successful in achieving a nice smooth finish.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow, thank you all for the likes, i'm overwhelmed and humbled by your show of support.

Hi John, thank you for stopping by.  Yes, I had a real ball building this little sloop and learned a lot.  There are a few rough spots in her but they are not noticeable in the finished product.  :)  

Still thinking of building another one but bigger and in a bigger scale too.  But first I need to finish my dad's sub and the VOC ship.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You're building a full scale sub?? :o :o :o ;)

Seriously Piet, your interior is fantastic (as is the rest of the boat). I see the things that you and Cap'n'Bob have done on your boat interiors. It's really great work to aspire to.

I also had an idea-you should put a dark stain on the toilet seat lid-then it would look like the ones you can buy at Home Depot :P

Thanks,

Harvey

Hey Harvey, you are too much, love the humor. :)  

Yup, a full scale sub and then hijack a cruse liner and rob the rich and famous  ;)  ;)  :P

No, it's my father's sub at a scale of 1:50.  She was 76 meters long.

Well, since my wife and I could not build a 1:1 sloop I wanted to present her with a model but then she wanted it fully equipped and ready to sail. You know that she actually asked me if I was going to put a turd in the commode but that would stink up the boat too much  ;)  :o

Yeah, I could have bought one of them cheapy black plastic toilet seats and then treat it with Preparation H to shrink it but -- - -- - ah, no. So I made it from wood and no doo doo in the bowl.  Actually a dry chem doesn't have a bowl, "stuff"drops right down into the holding tank, kinda.  I told her to let her imagination go wild. You should have seen the look she gave me  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Thanks for stopping by, 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello friends, and thank you all for the likes!

Not much progress to sow but there was still a lot of detail work involved to reach this stage.  Again, I have not made pics of all that detail work but I'll try to describe it with the below picture.

post-1399-0-82017600-1378262061_thumb.jpg

I started to make the cockpit benches and are here loosely laid in to check for fit. The deck forward of the cockpit is now planked. The rudder tiller arm is attached to the rudder hinge shaft and what is not seen here is the steering wheel shaft holes towards the stern.

post-1399-0-16864800-1378262280_thumb.jpg

Looking forward with the cockpit bench seats loosely in place.  Here the rudder tiller arm can be seen with the holes for the steering tackle.  Also the steering wheel shaft holes I had a hard time drilling in.  Hmmm, the wide angle lens distorts things a bit.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello friends,

Thank you all for the likes :dancetl6:

We have progressed a little further in this episode. I had to make another piece of plywood for the aft deck and make the steering mechanism.  Unfortunately I didn't make any pictures of it but it is the standard design.  A spool on the steering wheel shaft with a rope wound around it that run through single blocks to the tiller arm and yes it works.

To make the curved deck I glued up the pieces of veneer on a preformed block of Styrofoam.  I did the same with the cabin roof.  That method worked great, I didn't have to worry about cold or wet bending.

The deck is still not glued down at this stage because of the steering mechanism work.

There is some detail to be seen in the pics below. 

post-1399-0-83745700-1378691190_thumb.jpg

Quarter stern view. New rear deck piece loosely laid on the stern frames.  There is obviously a lot of time involved in making the plywood but again it was a lot of fun doing it and a challenge.

post-1399-0-43880300-1378691215_thumb.jpg

Quarter bow view.  All the pictures were taken outside the garage for better light.  Here you can see the steering wheel hole I had to "worry" through due to lack of space for tools.. This too was a challenge.

post-1399-0-20819500-1378691249_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the galley.  I made steps and installed them. Actually, behind the steps is a small removable panel for access below the cockpit deck for extra storage and the propane gas bottle.  Again, the propane cooking burners unit heat shield and backsplash are made from aluminum beer cans  :)

post-1399-0-61195100-1378691271_thumb.jpg

A close-up view of the entire cabin area.  You can see here the hanging closet door hinges and handles. As well as the galley cupboard hinges and handles.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice cabin design.  She she be fun to sail.

Bob

Thanks to everyone who hit the "like" button, much appreciated.

@ John, well, I figured that when scratch building a ship or boat then I might as well scratch build everything, including the design and drawings.  I wanted to try my hand at it after having worked with metals all my life.  Not that I am not acquainted with wood, far from that, but this is a whole different thing.  No worry about some more material for heat shield/backsplash, I usually have a good Belgian brew, very tasty stuff  ;) 

@ Bob, thanks for the compliment, it means a lot to me.  Yes, she turned out very nice and I'm sure she would be a great joy to sail.  I'm anxiously waiting for you making sawdust for your tug  :)  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

In this episode we have progressed a little further.  I got to the point of setting the boat in primer.  I used a good indoor/outdoor primer I still had on the shelf from another project.

I also made the helm and the bedding.  I used thin sheets of Styrofoam for the mattresses, an old dishtowel for the blankets and tissue paper for the sheets.  

Here are  few pics of the sloop.

post-1399-0-14617400-1378866565_thumb.jpg

The helm, still in the rough. The diameter is 45 mm, the spokes are toothpicks, the spoke handles are epoxy wood filler and the rims are file folder paper.  The hub is a modified wooden bead.  The finished helm will be shown in a later issue.

post-1399-0-06202700-1378866598_thumb.jpg

The primed hull.  I stuck the helm on temporarily and made and installed the forecastle and stern deck hatch covers.

post-1399-0-67767600-1378866629_thumb.jpg

Looking aft with the bunks dressed up.  I pulled the starboard bunk out ready to climb in for a nap.  The table top on that side is folded down get access.  Oh yes, I also made the pillows and the pillow cases.

post-1399-0-82488600-1378866656_thumb.jpg

Another view looking towards the stern.  I removed the helm to show the helm shaft and the stop.  There are two, one on each side of the steering box, that way the shaft is not going anywhere.

post-1399-0-82648600-1378866677_thumb.jpg

A close-up look of the aft part of the cabin with the head.  I finished the little locker in the head for the typical supplies one needs in that area.

Cheers,  :cheers:

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra