Lady Nelson by JGoff - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First Ship Build

After much thought, I did decide to mark the waterline and paint below. I’m not entirely pleased with the result so I will have to back and sand and add some wood filler. The lines of the planking are quite visible. Seems like most painted hulls I have seen are smooth. Are there any thoughts on this? From a distance it looks decent but zoom in and all the little faults are visible. IMG_8073.thumb.jpeg.c6f930823f349801a573d125cd5d8ce5.jpegIMG_8077.thumb.jpeg.c8ce6a5697c38c71138f2c0c8b6989f9.jpegIMG_8074.thumb.jpeg.06aa7c273734feb6f67ed4f1d445c9a7.jpeg

To mark the waterline, I used the waterline marker that can be purchased at Vanguard. First I measured from the plan sheets the bow and stern using a caliper and made the appropriate marks. Then I clamped the keel in the vise, made the necessary adjustments and marked the line. It was somewhat difficult to mark without the cutter tilting, so I had a little assistance from the admiral to make it work. 

On to the guns. At the moment, I am sanding the gun carriage wheels, but the carriages and guns have been partially painted, as I painted the carriages prior to removing them from the sheet.  They are quite fiddly so as I have noted from others, a jig would be helpful for assembly. IMG_8103.thumb.jpeg.6a8d7508098b1a5f5518b478a1daf13d.jpegIMG_8104.thumb.jpeg.db8d6348fc9184194fef3828f3e05227.jpegIMG_8106.thumb.jpeg.016286228335c7ca3f519f109d0c2d1a.jpeg
And finally, with the cannon barrels, I painted those matte black, brushed with gunmetal weathering powder and used hairspray to seal (it is what I had on hand). Here you can see the difference that the weathering powder made.IMG_8130.thumb.jpeg.5280ce845837cb9ba3ae0dfdf5f6adba.jpeg

Thanks for dropping by and for the comments and likes. 

Johnathon 

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Completed Build: NRG Half-Hull Planking Project

Thanks for the likes guys!

A quick Sunday afternoon update as I have finally gotten around to spending the time to engage the blackening process. 

I followed the article “Blackening Revisited” and I’ll summarize the process here:

1. Pickle in sparex for 15 mins

2. remove with copper tongs and place items into baking soda solution water to rinse. 
3. Place items into acetone for 10+ mins using gloves from this point forward. 
4. Place in blackening solution with hot water at a 1:7 ratio agitating gently to expose all surfaces for 3-4 mins

5. Dry for 10-15 mins and polish with dremel. 

IMG_8137.thumb.jpeg.1f4a7d7cc2a7d14dcbc228ae049e1a99.jpeg

After following this, I decided to give the parts another bath into a fresh blackening solution mix for 10 mins and this seemed to do the trick. 
IMG_8141.thumb.jpeg.33ff4569fe192498dc8e57c6b058af0e.jpeg

IMG_8143.thumb.jpeg.07726baf7c903d725164a176549c06a1.jpeg

And in case I decide to make my own eyebolts and such, this just arrived:
IMG_8144.thumb.jpeg.d2a52b5593701b89452d13a9ea903b84.jpeg

Getting this project done now frees me up to finish the rudder and canons. 

Till next time!

Edited by JGoff

Johnathon 

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, Johnathon....I wanted to swing by your build as I noticed and appreciate your having a look at what's happening on my work bench. Your Lady is coming along well. You mentioned starting with limited skills , but you've proved to yourself, that's not been draw back. Where you are in the build, right now,  is light years ahead of what you probably felt you could accomplish. To me, you recently mentioned the hull and planking detail seen beyond bottom  paint,..... I feel is a reflection of all the wooden boats at dry dock. I can't make comparisons as this is my first Ship build too, but to me this Lady is no beginner and considering how your ship looks, you're pointing true north. Best Regards, Roger

18 hours ago, flyenrw said:

Howdy, Johnathon....I wanted to swing by your build as I noticed and appreciate your having a look at what's happening on my work bench. Your Lady is coming along well. You mentioned starting with limited skills , but you've proved to yourself, that's not been draw back. Where you are in the build, right now,  is light years ahead of what you probably felt you could accomplish. To me, you recently mentioned the hull and planking detail seen beyond bottom  paint,..... I feel is a reflection of all the wooden boats at dry dock. I can't make comparisons as this is my first Ship build too, but to me this Lady is no beginner and considering how your ship looks, you're pointing true north. Best Regards, Roger

Indeed! And you are absolutely right. It has been a little journey of sorts and not quite knowing the path I’ll take to the final destination. At least for my first build this has been my process. Perhaps for my next build, I’ll do some planning, but this one is all about just figuring it out and trying to stretch my skills. Every time I sit at my workbench it is a new task to work through one piece at a time. I appreciate you stopping by and for your kind comments, Roger. 

Johnathon