unrigged ships

woodartist

I have been given a new MS USS Constitution kit. I am an experienced wood carver, have carved award winning birds, see pictures attached. I use hand carving tools and micro power carving tools regularly. I had an accident 12 years ago and lost the motor nerve for my right bicep. My hand is still functional but I can not raise my arm. I routinely use my right hand to hold my carvings when working. I was right handed but relearned how to carve left handed. I have been reviewing the build logs for Conny and thought I could accomplish the build until I got to the section that involved the lines securing the cannons and the rigging. I do not see anyway that I could accomplish that. If I completed the build to that point and it was a quality build is it likely that anyone would be interested in doing the rigging?

_C300005-Edit.jpg

15.1.jpg

barn owl 2.jpg

WA

Look at the many models at the Royal Museums Greenwich website.  Most do not show cannons at all, let alone the rigging.   As one example do a search of 3rd rate models.  I counted over 40 models and only 3 of them had cannons, the rest did not.  Of the three with cannons, none had the cannons rigged.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66415 is one example.    For others go to https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/search/3rd rate model

I checked photos of models in the Rogers Collection and quite a few, not all, of the fully rigged models had cannon, several of which had the cannon rigged. 

No matter your choice, there is a precedence. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I hope you will share your build with us. Based on your carving skills, it should prove to be an exceptional endeavor.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

19 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

Sailing ship models don't necessarily need to be rigged.  This is one of the many fine models in the NMM collection with no rigging whatsoever.  This is the 'Victory'.

John

f5808_003.jpg.0c815dbb4e8571c99ad5a4e17c9b9c7c.jpg

But she is shown in her launching cradle so technically speaking, rigging would be inappropriate 😉

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Even today, there is a separation of responsibilities in building a ship.  Naval Architects determine the ship’s general arrangement, hull lines, and structural design.  Marine engineers select and design propulsion and auxiliary machinery.

Using this analogy in the days of sail, models were often built to show the ship’s naval architectural features, specifically general arrangement and hull shape.  Once it’s propulsion System, (it’s rig) rig was defined; ship, brig, ketch, etc, no further description  was necessary as riggers would use rules and customary practices.

Roger

this discussion thread has been very illuminating and i will share this build on the forum. It will be at least a month before I can start I am in the process of moving off Whidbey Island to Sequim which is on the mainland which has better medical facilities and conveniences. Living on an island is a great experience but as you get older it is hard.