Old NRG Article on Deck Plank Spacing

Was just out on the NRG site looking for this article. Sometime back, it was in the How To articles. Don't see it now. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks in advance...

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike, are you looking for the 2008 article by Ulises Victoria? If you are, I printed it out back then be glad to share it with you if you can't find it. I just have to pull it from my files and scan it. This is for private use only.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Mark - The name sounds familiar. I believe that is the one. It showed a 4 plank pattern, 5 plank and I believe all the way up to 8. I would be really grateful if you can find it. I'll abide by any requirements you have. If you would prefer to email it to me I can PM you my email.

Many thanks...

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike, I have it and I'll PM you. But I have a suggestion for the moderator... If possible can I post the article? I'm sure others would benefit from it as well. 

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

I agree. I have used the article twice and I am aware of others that have used it as well. It would be a great addition to the library.

We are checking with the author to see if he will OK the posting as his copyright is still valid.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi all,
I responded to Mike about the article which I hand in my file. I checked with Kurt about posting it, he in turn checked with the author. The author has granted permission to post the article. I hope it proves helpful with your decking questions. I've attached a PDF, enjoy.

Deck Planking
Forrado de cubiertas

permission to post by Ulises Victoria
first appeared in January/Enero2008

DECK PLANKING.pdf

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Fantastic! The write-up will be a big help for many of us. Thank you to all that made this happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something? I don't see the article in the NRG resources.

If you'll click on the file name in markjay's post, Deck Planking.pdf, it will automagically download the file to your device.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I see the plank butt of every other strake on the same beam as one of Ulises' options, and OcCre seems to love it, but when and where was this hideous pattern ever really used?

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark - maybe I misunderstood. I thought that article was going to be posted in the NRG How To Library.

No  it was actually deleted from the MSW forum's how to articles quite some time ago.  The same information is available elsewhere and this will not be re-posted. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 month later...

Kurt - obviously your call, but I have to ask how will the rest of the world find this article? Ok, I got it from a PM but that doesn't help the masses. You say the same info is available elsewhere - then where? It seems like this is an easy move to the NRG How To forum.

Please Understand - I am not trying to create a stir, but the article used to be in the NRG forum. Why can't it be added? And frankly why was it removed?

In the end, our site is trying to help modelers understand situations and how to deal with them. Ulises write-up is quite valuable in a number of situations.

Edited by mikiek

I am checking on this now.  I have no idea why it was deleted unless the copy provided by markjay is what had been posted.  Maybe a matter of having a clean copy.

Anyway I am checking.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on this matter? Once again, I am not trying to be a butthole on this situation. The article used to be published in the NRG "How to " forum. I have found its value more than once. Others as well.

Yes, I have the article downloaded from this thread, so I am covered. But I suspect others will not find it. I feel like the article should be public in the NRG 'how to" forum.

It was actually posted on MSW and was moved to the NRG's website with other articles.  When it was reviewed by staff it was deleted due to some inaccurate information and formatting issues.  It will not be re-posted. There is a paper on planking now in progress that will be posted shortly. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

OK Kurt - good to hear there will be a replacement.