Nisha by longshanks – Vanguard Models – 1:64

Hi Folks

Having lurked on here for a while I’ve been inspired by Chris Watton and James H to build a wooden fishing boat. I have a keen interest in the early SW sailing fishing boats. Nisha seemed the perfect opportunity of a well thought out kit with character boat for my first build.

Just the basics until the completion of the first layer of planking.

When first fitting the false deck, I was a little nervous of how much to fair in. The consequence was the inner bulwark would not sit flush to bulkheads on the bottom edge. Taking the deck edge back to bulkheads et voila they fitted like a dream, no pins used.

P1120499

P1120502 P1120503

I have deviated from the instructions in the following ways.

Part 62 the stern board. I fitted this ahead of schedule after fitting the bulwarks parts 45 & 46. Due to the exposed the nature of the stern timbers. This may come back and bite, time will tell.

First layer of Planks / strakes was marked using tick paper and fan as per this forum. Perhaps unnecessary for the first layer but good practice. Edge bending required from the 5th strake down.

Fitting Garboard strake

P1120504

P1120506

I also temporarily clamped the various rabbet patterns and drew along the inside to give me a better idea of the planking finish line.

Simple clamp for holding strakes whilst shaping

P1120538

Edge bending. I found it required only a damp finger run along the wood

P1120540

First layer completed

P1120543

P1120545

P1120546

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

The planking looks really nice Kev. Like you, I recently joined here and it was also caused by a Vanguard kit, in my case the Duchess of Kingston.
Your Nisha sports some nice contours, always looking like a dynamic raceboat.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

Thank you guys for your kind comments

On 5/28/2022 at 5:42 PM, Craigie65 said:

Is this your first build?

Second planked hull. First ended looking like fish gills. I must say I am so impressed with the quality and ease of building Chris Watton has achieved. Aided by the huge amount of information and tutorials on this site. I think I have achieved a reasonable standard.

20 hours ago, DocRob said:

Your Nisha sports some nice contours, always looking like a dynamic raceboat.

I agree, the sailing trawlers were known for their turn of speed.

Kev

Edited by longshanks

Wow! Lookin’ really good!!

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

Time for the second layer starting with the bulwark strip

P1120554

Painted with Vallejo Black grey with a thin off white strip to hopefully indicate the scupper line. I don’t like to use black or indeed any Full colour at this scale. Compare the black grey with the black of the clip, I feel the black is to harsh.

You will also note that I have added 0.5mm ply where the first full strake will lay. This being to infer the thicker deck wale.

I struggled a bit with the tick strip/fan due to the involuntary tremor mainly in my left hand.

So I marked frame spacing of 40mm with 20mm at the ends. Using paper I found the length of the hull arc and divided by the number of strakes giving the width of the stake. This was transferred using digital vernier.

P1120557

Note I have the rabbet pieces still held by clamps to simplify sanding

P1120564

P1120567

P1120568 P1120571

Note at the bilge line amidships I have again packed out the strakes (2) to form the bilge wale.

P1120562

A question for the wise folks on here. I’m not sure if the wale should follow the strake line, sheer line or water line. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for looking in

Kev

On 6/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, longshanks said:

Time for the second layer starting with the bulwark strip

P1120554

Painted with Vallejo Black grey with a thin off white strip to hopefully indicate the scupper line. I don’t like to use black or indeed any Full colour at this scale. Compare the black grey with the black of the clip, I feel the black is to harsh.

You will also note that I have added 0.5mm ply where the first full strake will lay. This being to infer the thicker deck wale.

I struggled a bit with the tick strip/fan due to the involuntary tremor mainly in my left hand.

So I marked frame spacing of 40mm with 20mm at the ends. Using paper I found the length of the hull arc and divided by the number of strakes giving the width of the stake. This was transferred using digital vernier.

P1120557

Note I have the rabbet pieces still held by clamps to simplify sanding

Note at the bilge line amidships I have again packed out the strakes (2) to form the bilge wale.

A question for the wise folks on here. I’m not sure if the wale should follow the strake line, sheer line or water line. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Hi Kev, you are off to flying start and very well executed so far!  👍

If you are referring to the thicker planking this is on two locations on "Nisha", Topside & Bilge planking, the first follows the bulwark/deck profile and the second follows the hold deck profile.  See my build log, post number #42 onwards where I have had a go at simulating these features.  The brilliant book "Sailing Trawlers" by Edgar J. March has been my guide.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, AJohnson said:

See my build log, post number #42 onwards where I have had a go at simulating these features.

Thanks for the info, most useful.

I confess to having Edgar J March excellent book and hope to tweak a few bits as I go

Kev

A change of pace and closer to my comfort zone (I normally try and scratch build using plastic).

On 6/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, longshanks said:

I confess to having Edgar J March excellent book and hope to tweak a few bits as I go

Case in point. 

The steam capstan is very detailed but the vanes are photoetch but only 0.4mm so..

I packed each side with 0.35 plastic card, giving an overall width of 70mm more in keeping I feel

P1120574

P1120578

P1120603

P1120602 P1120604

Then on to the tow post which centered around the pump. So I thought it would be good to represent the pump handles

P1120585

P1120590

P1120593

P1120594

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Love that pump Kev.

Must admit I was unsure what that post represented. I think it is described as a tow post in the parts list.

I swithered on using black grey but decided as I was not shading or highlighting flat black would do.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Thanks Folks for the kind comments and likes....

Hull a step closer with the rabbet strips fixed

P1120613

P1120615

P1120617 P1120618

A touch more blending but good enough for government work.

The bows of these trawlers were fitted with a roller for the trawl hawser. This is not represented in the kit so of course I had to add one :shrug:

This is not a reflection on the kit which is building into a fine model. The kit is designed as a starter and given my physical limitations I wanted something I could

tweak where I was able but still finish up with a fine model trawler.

Bow roller a combination of plastic and brass tube 

P1120605

Horn made from an off cut of the wood sprue

P1120607

P1120610

P1120612

Room for a good clean up I feel

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Painting the bottom ....

Hull prepped.a few irregularities in the planking showing a working  boat. Hull colour Vallejo Black-grey

P1120621

P1120623

I'm hoping to show her as a working boat so I used a Chocolate brown to represent the tar anti fouling.

P1120630

To take away the monochrome colour I used Oil dots. Grey, white, yellow ochre and raw umber. Blended and washed out with white spirit.

(I did use smaller dots the next time)

P1120634

P1120636

P1120644

I feel I achieved the look I was after

P1120645

A nice contrast

P1120648

I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes

Slow progress but....

Working the hull above the waterline

White, grey and raw umber oil 

P1120654

P1120655

P1120657

Rudder temp. added with pin for strength. Note scupper line has had the stanchions picked out with shadow

P1120663

P1120662 P1120667 P1120666

Thanks for looking I hope you are enjoying the build

Kev

Only a few pics but big steps forward.................

Deck fitted. This has had numerous washes of lifecolour 'Wooden Grey Umber'

You can see the original maple colour where the boiler plate is missing

P1120669

Rubbing strake painted Vallejo Emerald knocked back with pale grey. The hair grips have been shortened on the inboard side

P1120671

P1120673

Thanks for stopping by and for the likes

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Moving onto deck furniture....

Dandy wink. Used to hoist rear of towing beam

P1120688

P1120690

I chose to have the hatch boards open

P1120681

Drilled holes, punched disc to fit. Stretched sprue for handle

P1120683

Tissue/dilute Pva to make tarpaulin

P1120685

P1120691

Tarp, boards and metal bands to lock down the hatch boards

P1120693

P1120696

I hope you like the progress

Thanks for looking in

Kev

On 7/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, AJohnson said:

Hey this colour scheme is getting better and better.

Glad you like it

On 7/20/2022 at 9:47 AM, Craigie65 said:

looks like a really hard working boat!

That's the way I'm hopefully going

Thanks for likes, it's good to have the support

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Capping rail added

P1120704

Along with Taff rail and transit rail. I cut a new deeper taff rail to cover timber heads and transom trim.

P1120705

Rudder gets additional pintle & gudgeon above deck

P1120707

Dandy wink gets a Dandy Score (Scratch built). Roller fairlead for aft end of trawl beam

P1120709

P1120711

P1120712

P1120713

Current thoughts are having the Nisha dried out with beach legs and the Trawl beam resting on the the sand

Capture

Transom finished off with trim

P1120716

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while due to health issues.

Before I go further with a tweak to the kit I'd like to state at no point do I think Chis Wattons kit is sub standard. It's a brilliant starter kit made to a price.

I've already got further than I ever have with a wood boat. Having been a scratch builder for many years, health issues were causing problems with dexterity and Nisha gave me a way forward knowing I could always fall back to kit mode.

Whilst browsing Edgar J March book I noticed that the blocks of the time were were internal strapped, So could I.....

The sides/sheaves built up in layers

P1120725 P1120728

and the ropes run

P1120729

Hook and eye formed

P1120734 P1120733

I had to anneal the hook to form it and wondered how to harden it. Gentle tapping work hardened it. Seems to work

P1120735

Seems to work

P1120737

So this may be the way forward for the large throat halyard and main sheet but can I manage the smaller blocks...

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Edited by longshanks

Good Lord, what's he up to now? 🙂

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Wow that is wonderful work.  Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 2 weeks later...