Thread for serving rigging

I am finally starting the work on the rigging on my San Felipe and in observing other build logs I really like the look of served rigging where it's appropriate. I bought a Syren Servo-Matic and starting doing some practice serving to see how it goes. All in all it's quite good but I'm not very happy with the thread I'm using for the serving as it gets pretty fuzzy after it's wound on the rope. I've  tried using a candle flame and some beeswax to try and tame the fuzz after winding, but neither are giving me the nice clean results I'm looking for. 

The instructions mention to use as fuzz free thread as possible and I'm using some that looks pretty good on the thimble but once it's wound the fuzz really comes out. The thread I used is SewOlogy all purpose 100% cotton that I purchased at my local hobby store. I'm looking for recommendations for a specific manufacturer and/or type of thread to use, black of course, that has produced good serving results for others. I have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels and a Joann near me plus several other fabric stores and it would be nice it was something I could go pick up but if I need to order online to get the right thing that's ok. Appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Hi Jonathan

I use Gutermann Mara thread for all my rope, having read Chuck Passaro's description of it (see here for more information).  Chuck's Syren Rope Rocket is great for running up your own rope, and like you I use the Syren machine for serving. For the latter I use the thinnest Mara thread I could find - #150. You can use black if you wish but personally I prefer very dark brown, partly for realism (the Stockholm tar used on standing rigging was not black) and partly because pure black looks too stark to my eye. Details of the colours I use are in the link.

Here's some pictures of the serving line in use, to illustrate how it can create an eye:

IMG_5405_edited-1.thumb.jpg.b97fc8b578e14ab09d5fb6b2db577f16.jpgIMG_5406_edited-1.thumb.jpg.daf335c97e6d39f2b4ab95013ba90403.jpgIMG_5409_edited-1.thumb.jpg.4e41489311c9074000c0b4597bcef44a.jpg    

Hope this helps

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Great information thanks. I looked at making rope once a while ago and decided not to, but have become increasingly dissatisfied with the look of the rope my current kit has so I'll investigate that again. Everything you and Chuck make looks great and I'd love to be able to have that quality of rope available.

One question, do you use a heat gun on the rope after you make it and if you do does that leave the rope flexible or once hit with the heat gun does it keep it's shape?

Yes, I use a heat gun to ‘set’ the rope and stop it tending to unravel. Some people bake their rope in an oven but I find the heat gun works fine for small quantities. When I cut it from the rope walk I knot each end to stop it unravelling, wind it into a hank, put the hank in the bottom of a glass jar to stop it blowing away then blast it for about a minute. 

I should stress that I use a crafter’s hot air gun, not the really powerful type used for stripping paint!

After heat treatment the rope is no different, except it won’t unravel. 

Making your own rope is easy and satisfying, as the stuff you make yourself will be better than most kit material. I used to dye my rope as well but that was time consuming, messy and a bit hit and miss, at least for me. I’m glad I got onto Gutermann Mara thanks to Chuck’s post. 

Derek 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I have a fine silk thread that I use for serving eyes and such. It has no fuzz.

Belding Corticelli size A. It is about 0.0025 inch diameter (0.064 mm).

No special reason for using this. It was in my wife's sewing kit.

I ordered some of the Gutermann Mara thread in both black and dark brown to see which color I liked best but my first test gives me at least as much fuzz as my first test with the cotton thread maybe even more. I'm including a picture so you can see what level of fuzz I'm talking about. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, when I look at the pictures from DelF I just don't see any fuzz at all. 

Should I be waxing the thread before using it for serving, I'm not quite sure how I'd do that and when I tried it on a small section of the cotton thread on my initial tests it did not work well. Possibly waxing after serving? I'll try passing the completed serving over a candle to see if I can get rid of the fuzz but I'm still searching for how to get a clean serving, I wouldn't use what I'm getting now.

Any idea greatly appreciated.

IMG_1129.thumb.jpg.ecd4fc737361d3b3137123f3b135d4d5.jpg

Burn it off.  Run it through a candle flame quickly!   it will be nice and crisp.   

0?ui=2&ik=acdd927c74&attid=0.1&permmsgid

I tried the candle method and it works great. With the cotton thread it left quite a bit of the fuzz but with the poly thread the fuzz is eliminated quickly. I just had to adjust as after working with the cotton which was harder to remove I left it in the candle a bit too much and some of the thread melted but that's easily eliminated now that I know how much heat to give it and looks great now. Thanks everyone.

Picture is the exact thread as before just treated with candle. A couple very tiny pieces of fuzz left, more visible in picture that naked eye but on production pieces I'm sure I can get it perfect.

IMG_1130.thumb.jpg.aec4fad71103f827f3c62b2b0a5aa1d3.jpg

Yea, what Chuck said.  I've got 3 spools of fly tying line from Grandpa's fly tying kit I inherited when he passed away.  It will be awhile before I'll be needing to get more or try something else, so I'll add this thread information to my ever growing reference book for future consideration.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys for the grave dig. I was wondering whether anyone has tried making rope from silk? It's supposed to be strong, does not stretch, is very light, has no fuzz, and flexible. Yes I know it is a bit expensive, but the cost of this is nowhere near the cost of my time invested in the model so it is of no issue to me. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

15 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Sorry guys for the grave dig. I was wondering whether anyone has tried making rope from silk? It's supposed to be strong, does not stretch, is very light, has no fuzz, and flexible. Yes I know it is a bit expensive, but the cost of this is nowhere near the cost of my time invested in the model so it is of no issue to me. 

I don't see why not.  If you have a ropewalk, pick up a small amount of thread and try it.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)