Scottish Maid by guillemot - FINISHED - 1/8" scale - Hall's 1839 Clipper Schooner

Forgot to put in the title - 1/8th scale! First off, thank you everyone who helped when I was looking for info to draw up plans. I've decided that I've come to a point where I've got enough drawings to get on with it, actually I reached this point about ten days ago, but was somewhat reluctant to start a log till I felt reasonably confident that I would at least get a hull out of it!  

post-1314-0-28807900-1376492139_thumb.jpg

post-1314-0-33955100-1376492562_thumb.jpg

Balsa infill - for lack of anything better available...

post-1314-0-46483400-1376492629_thumb.jpg

Sanding the naughty bit...always tricky getting the shape fair

post-1314-0-50249000-1376492793_thumb.jpg

OK, this is as far as I've gotten as of yesterday. Today I'm building a screen door from a kit....much less fun.

As always, constructive cricism, comments and suggestions gratefully received!

F

Okay...some progress. The deck.

deck_zps3f7ccf84.jpg

Cutting the waterways with their notches for the bulwark stanchions proved a tad challenging and tooks everal attempts...as is the whole build! For simplicity I laid whole planks, end to end. Now I need to spend a few minutes working out the buts... Not to mention some fettling still to do!

bow-deck_zpsb8122716.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'm going to pour a drink, been a long day!

F

Afternoon, all. Well, time marches on and inbetween trying to keep our trees from dying and other work I've managed to find time to start on the deck furnishings. Bowsprit bitts and the windlass, which MacGregor reckoned was the old handspike type. Took a few attempts, and I know it's not perfect, but it's about the best my skill level allows, this time.

windlass-03_zpsc605a906.jpg

windlass-02_zpsc3ab2780.jpg

I want to get all the deck furnishings on before I start in on the bulwark stanchions and bulwarks etc. as they'll be a bit fragile so it's probably best if the deckhouses and all are there first.

F

Nice work on the windlass.   I'd think about at least planking the hull before fixing anything to the deck since you'll have roll the ship around a bit for that. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, guys. Mark,the problem is that I'm going to plank the bulwarks which means the stanchions need to be in place which, being tiny, need the planking to stabilize them. Thinking about it, you may have a point: perhaps what would work would be to get all the holes in the planking cut/drilled and then plank. Then It would be just a matter of placing the cabin trunks and hatches etc. I'm very much feeling my way with this build. I'm also wondering whether she was built with a wheel or a tiller. MacGregor's reconstructed drawing shows a wheel which he bases on a slightly later and similar Schooner, Nonesuch, which did. In the Aberdeen museum there's a model of her built by one of her captains. Sadly the picture is tiny but I could swear he built the model with a tiller...I suppose she could have started with a tiller and had a wheel as an 'update'...dunno

F

Yes, it was from the Artesania Latina kit, but pretty heavily modified.

Hull construction followed the kit closely, but fitting, masting and rigging was almost all scratch built.  The rigging diagrams provided were pretty awful, so I made heavy use of Rigging Period Fore-And-Aft Craft by Lennarth Petersson to get the rig correct.  The diagrams for fitting out the masts and spars were qusetionable too.  I learned by experience to go with more reliable documentation -- like Petersson's book -- to save a lot of time, frustration and effort.

Dan

Got it! I know what you mean, back in about 1980 I bought their 'Harvey' - Baltimore Clippers are the dogs wossits - back then the bulkheads were hand cut...and quite a few didn't match the drawings with the kit. My Local shop (The Modellers Den in Bath) sent them back and they were replaced with a slightly more accurate set. The wood supplied for the deck was rubbish, so I forked out for a load of Lime planks. About this time I found a copy of 'The Model Ship Builder's Assistant' By Charles Davis....So everything from the bare hull onward was scratched. Deck houses, Tiller (found a bit of Holly to carve that and the Bowsprit out of - wish I could find some now!) masts and rigging. Coppered the hull...Kept redoing bits until they were as good as I could do. Converted it into a double tops'l job.  Sold it at Auction. Since then I've accumulated a reasonable reference library which includes Rigging Period Fore-And-Aft Craft, a most useful book! Back then I was living in a bed-sit and had a Dremel tool and a Dremel saw I picked up at the Model Engineers exhibition. Things are a bit better now.

F

It looks great!

:pirate41: you'll hit the target going this way foreward!

Thanks for sharing!

:10_1_10: Christian

P.S.: My gift to you - your new clock you wear when working in the shipyard...

post-5310-0-76561800-1377282270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronprinz

How lucky onshore whilom you have been

you will remake whensoever the ship is sinking.

Seneca

Building:
HMS Wolf 1752, 1/48 snow-rigged Sloop 6pfd - 10 guns

Breton Thuna fishing boats 1/125 (plastic) & 1/50 (wood)

Reconstruction:
HMS Flying Fish 1806, 1/48 Baltimore Schooner 12 gun

Hi Fraser,

Should be a very nice model when finished,there were some very nice ships built in Aberdeen. The Thermopylae being the most famous. If you get no joy with a photo from the  Maritime Museum of their model do let me know. My son lives there so I could ask him if he would go and take some pix of her and email them to me,I could then pass them on to you. I would assume one is allowed to take photo´s there.

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Fraser she is developing into a nice looking model.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I remember getting to this point too.  Drilling the hold for the rudder post had me scratching my head for a long time!

Ended up drilling one hole down from the deck and one hole up from the stern post and hoping they met in the middle.  (Worked like a charm, by the way.)

Your model's looking great!

Dan

Like always I'm late to the party but the build looks so good I think I'll stay around.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I remember getting to this point too.  Drilling the hold for the rudder post had me scratching my head for a long time!

Ended up drilling one hole down from the deck and one hole up from the stern post and hoping they met in the middle.  (Worked like a charm, by the way.)

Your model's looking great!

Dan

Yup, been there done that...faith in the eye! On this one, being so small it was a straight up through job...concentrating hard on keeping straight!

Bob: hardly late! Really just getting rolling...lots of nightmares ahead!

Dave: Thanks for theKind  offer. In fact I have had an initial reply from the museum to the effect that my request has been passed to the relevant department...so we'll see if anything happens!

Christian: ?? a joke? Or is this some sort of comment on what I'm doing?

Yes - don't look on the watch - the time you can't see on the clock is shown in the progress on/in/at our model - and no watch hand can take away the satisfaction from your model... It's great work you do. The run of the planks aft is well done!

I'm very interested to see the stempost and the opening to let the rudder come to the decks level to "cross" the tiller... 

Greetings from the man with two clockfree rooms in the flat: bathroom and workshop

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

Duuuh, never looked at the watch face! Too right. There is no clock in my 'studio/workshop' If I'm working in the afternoon the only time that matters is when it's time to take the dogs down to the field for a bit of play....and they tell me when it's that time!

I have the hole drilled for the rudderpost though I have yet to finish off both the stern post and the cutwater. I've been very hung up on how to do the stern decoration, which Artesania Latina, in their kit accomplish with a relief shape. I was looking at my Model Shipways 'Emma' which has a similar shape on her stern, but it's just a simple moulding and it occurs to me (ummm, at about 0400 this morning) that I could do something similar with the Maid...maybe in brass wire. Day off today; going to take the dogs over to the coast for a run on the beach and a change of scenery from our valley!

es stern decoration is a very important point - a tremendous eyecatcher for everybody including ourself... 

To copy the stern's shape seems to be a good idea - why should we always try to reinvent the wheel a second time?

Then have a nice walk with the dogs... my four kitten only have got a finely adjusted "stomage-clock"

and geather completely to an orchester twice a day - allways on the tick at seven...

Christian

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the lack of updates, work has been more or less constant. When you're daft enough to do a scratchbuild from a three-view drawing, there's a lot of work in finding out what the missing bits should look like, then you have to draw them up before youcan cut wood to make them. Also theres' a dearth of information about the smaller ships of the Nineteenth century and I'm really having to dig to find information. Then there's accidents, like the model falling off it's building jig and landing on it's vulnerable **** timbers...

ouch_zpsd18fb80f.jpg

That's now repaired and, I think, better for the rebuild...

Work continues under the watchful eye of Scraps, the Works Gremlin...

IMG_7027_zpsa991e89d.jpg

A lot of time went into figuring out the shapes of the rails and then cutting and fettling them and the combined channels/pinrails and I'm now in the process of fitting them.

IMG_7042_zps2a3060b3.jpg

I had been looking forward to visiting the Science Museum in London at Christmas, but just learned that the Shipping gallery has been put into storage! In the interests of making the museum a better interactive roadside attraction, I suppose. It was a blow when the NMM turned their 19th-20cg allery into the Henry the VIII show and now this. Damn!

F