HMS Bellona by Nearshore - Corel - 1:100

Hello,

I have seen a couple of build logs for the HMS Bellona on MSW and I am going to attempt to build this amazing ship. I hope that I can be half as good as the others that are building this ship. I ordered the kit back in May and received it at the end of June. I was surprised that it shipped from Australia as I got a notice that it was stuck in customs. Well, I was not going to start on this until I completed my 1850 Whaling Launch by Panart, which I did. I posted the finished build on the finished build area of MSW. Anyway, this is my humbled opinion on the kit so far.

My first opinion when opening up the box and inspecting the contents was "Oh Boy!!! It's so small" The Whaling Launch was 1:16 scale so going to a 1:100 scale was a bit of a shock. I didn't want to build a large model because I am limited on space. Being in line with the other previews of this kit, I inspected the contents and reviewed the drawings and instructions. They weren't kidding when they say that Corel isn't much on their instructions. I think there is a whole 6 pages in English on how to construct this kit. There are about 10 sheets of drawings, most of them being to scale. There is no parts inventory with this kit, but I knew that going into it from previous reviews that I read. I sorted all the strips of wood and labeled them as to their size so I wouldn't have to hunt for them when needed. I'm not a very experienced modeler, so this will be a very challenging kit for me to build. I am glad that there are a couple of other build logs here that I can follow and help get through some of the difficult challenges that lay ahead.    

20220807_084639.jpg

20220807_084651.jpg

20220807_084703.jpg

20220807_084717.jpg

I am bringing this up to date to where I am on the assembly. I have been spending the last couple of weeks dry fitting the framing. The keel has a terrible bow in it. I tried to straighten it out with water and heat from an iron. It did get most of the warp out of it, but there still is a slight bow. I am using some 1 inch aluminum angle on my vise to keep things straight. Hopefully when the frames are glued and the upper planks are in place that that will keep things straight. 

I decided that I was going to bevel the decks prior to them being installed. They sit in place rather nicely without having to pin them in place. I installed .5mm and 1mm shims on the frames to also keep them in alignment. So far everything seems to be lining up ok. I haven't glued anything yet, i still need to mark the keel for the babet and bearding lines.  Well that's it for now. 

Nearshore

20220812_144747.jpg

20220812_155124.jpg

20220814_071541.jpg

20220814_071557.jpg

20220814_074316.jpg

20220814_083335.jpg

20220814_083352.jpg

20220814_100519.jpg

20220814_100530.jpg

20220814_104933.jpg

20220815_134556.jpg

20220815_134615.jpg

20220815_150847.jpg

20220815_150913.jpg

3 hours ago, Nearshore said:

They weren't kidding when they say that Corel isn't much on their instructions.

There are a quite a number of contemporary plans and models of Bellona on the RMG Collections site.  If you study them carefully as you build the Corel version, it should help you.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good start to the build!

The instructions are no substitute for a study of the plans - they will be much more useful for getting a feel for the build and its requirements. I've been working on this model over the last several months but spent the year prior studying the plans, making tables and plotting out the build. This is a complex model! I've already discovered that, despite my best intentions, I have to make major adjustments to the gunports - even though from outboard they run in a nice line, they do not present even heights fore the guns to protrude through them. I worry that any adjustments I make will result in a really wonky-looking arrangement....but we'll see....a lot can be corrected in the second planking!

One worry I have about your build is that you've put that transom frame on prior to adding the quartergallery fillers, completing the frame fairing and first planking layer. This might make those jobs a bit more tricky for you - especially in sanding down the q-gallery fillers (which require a lot of finessing to get the proper run of planks aft). These parts need to be sanded down to nearly nothing along their top edge - I used a sanding drum in my dremmel for this. Getting into the tight corner between the transom frame and the filler will be tricky - though perhaps not impossible. 

Anyways, the instructions don't state this, which is, of course, annoying - but the order of the framework construction is laid out on the plans and shows the addition of the transom frame after the completion of first planking. Not sure how difficult (or dangerous) it would be to remove that frame now - it's a thin part, so removing it could result in breakage - careful sanding of the quartergallery fillers should produce a good result - it just might take a little longer a be a little more finicky....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

20 hours ago, allanyed said:

There are a quite a number of contemporary plans and models of Bellona on the RMG Collections site.  If you study them carefully as you build the Corel version, it should help you.

Allan

Thank you, I will certainly be researching information on that site.

Nearshore

18 hours ago, hamilton said:

Good start to the build!

The instructions are no substitute for a study of the plans - they will be much more useful for getting a feel for the build and its requirements. I've been working on this model over the last several months but spent the year prior studying the plans, making tables and plotting out the build. This is a complex model! I've already discovered that, despite my best intentions, I have to make major adjustments to the gunports - even though from outboard they run in a nice line, they do not present even heights fore the guns to protrude through them. I worry that any adjustments I make will result in a really wonky-looking arrangement....but we'll see....a lot can be corrected in the second planking!

One worry I have about your build is that you've put that transom frame on prior to adding the quartergallery fillers, completing the frame fairing and first planking layer. This might make those jobs a bit more tricky for you - especially in sanding down the q-gallery fillers (which require a lot of finessing to get the proper run of planks aft). These parts need to be sanded down to nearly nothing along their top edge - I used a sanding drum in my dremmel for this. Getting into the tight corner between the transom frame and the filler will be tricky - though perhaps not impossible. 

Anyways, the instructions don't state this, which is, of course, annoying - but the order of the framework construction is laid out on the plans and shows the addition of the transom frame after the completion of first planking. Not sure how difficult (or dangerous) it would be to remove that frame now - it's a thin part, so removing it could result in breakage - careful sanding of the quartergallery fillers should produce a good result - it just might take a little longer a be a little more finicky....

hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

Yeah I get what you're saying. The pics I posted were of the dry fit. I haven't glued anything together yet as I am still adjusting the parts. I always have had the motto that "If you have to force it, it doesn't fit". I may be spending a bit more time on the dry fit than usual, but I also believe that this stage will set the tone for the rest of the build. I welcome your advice. I have seen your build log of this ship and its one of the main reasons I decided to go with the Bellona. You are an outstanding modeler and I look forward to your guidance on this. 

Nearshore

That's good to hear, Nearshore - and thanks for the compliment - not sure about "outstanding", considering some of the present company, but I'll be happy to provide help where I can! Since I'm a slow modeller now, I may end up reaching out to you here and there too!! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

A little update on the HMS Bellona. I have dry fitted the all the bulkheads and glued the main and upper decks. I traced out the layout of the cannon openings on tracing paper and laid it up against that hull to see how things will line up. I started the planking on the main deck. I figured it will be easier to do it at this stage then to wait until the hull planking is done. I dry fitted the brass doors and really didn't like the way it looked. I toyed with the idea of painting the panels to dull it down a bit. Instead of painting, I decided to blacken the brass and then polished off the black on the framing. I think it came out pretty nice. I will use the same method on the remaining brass doors when the time comes. I have started the dry fitting of the first planks and have faired the hull down and started the bearding line. So far everything seems to be lining up ok. The first layer of planking will take me some time. I want to practice the technic of lining off the hull on the first layer, so if or when I mess it up, I will have a second chance to get it right on the finial layer.  Well, that's it for now, I will try and put another update out in the next couple weeks.  Need to prep for the Hurricane that's headed our way. 

20220817_131716.jpg

20220817_131724.jpg

20220909_134600.jpg

20220818_134622.jpg

20220910_125940.jpg

20220917_124855.jpg

20220916_163735.jpg

20220920_151057.jpg

20220921_150659.jpg

20220921_150703.jpg

20220916_163752.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the Bellona build. I finished the forward bulkhead doors and started installing the top deck. I started the planking and layout of the gun ports. I decided to install the bulkhead fixtures on the main deck before I install the top deck to make for an easier install. I took it even further and installed the upper bulkhead doors. It looked like it would have been a problem to install if I installed the decks beforehand. I allowed for a gap under the fittings so the deck boards will fit nice a snug. I kept with the same technic of using brass black and then used a 3000-grit sandpaper to polish the raised portions. I used spray clear acrylic to seal everything up. I installed the first row of the gun ports and faired the upper bulk heads for the remaining planks. I should hopefully be able to finish the first layer of planking before the new year. I will try and post another update in a couple weeks.

Cheers

20220917_124855.jpg

20220917_124937.jpg

20221003_143504.jpg

20221007_153136.jpg

20221007_131235.jpg

20221007_131254.jpg

20221007_153122.jpg

20221007_153136.jpg

20221008_153552.jpg

20221008_153622.jpg

20221008_153630.jpg

20221010_135147.jpg

20221010_135154.jpg

Well I have a little update on the Bellona. I made a rookie mistake, but that's ok, I'm a rookie. After installing the last of the false gun ports, I noticed that the planking on the stern did not quite line up. The port and starboard planks on the stern were offset by a little over 2mm. I must have lost focus and did not pay attention to the stern planks and how they were lining up. I used 2 planks to get the vertical spacing for the false gun ports. Plans call for a 10mm opening at each port, the planks are 5mm, so it works out.  Where I messed up was on plank 30b. I tried to bend it around the transom and by doing so it through off the alignment on the port and starboard. I unfortunately didn't notice this until almost all the gun ports were installed. I was pretty discouraged at this point and didn't get any pictures before I started ripping it apart. It almost made it to the fire pit, but after a couple beers and walking away from it for a few days, I reasoned with myself that this is all part of the sport. I am installing and dry fitting all the waler planks before gluing this time, making sure that they all line up at the stern. I also am not trying to bend plank 30b onto the transom and just let it dead end like the rest of the planks. Everything lines up good from bulkhead 11 forward, so at least I didn't need to remove all the planks and start over. The silver lining, I guess. Well, that's it for now, I'm sure there will be some more setbacks along the way, I just hope that I can pay better attention and not mess this build up to bad.

20221016_072007.thumb.jpg.38321f198b840f77af502e7815a6100d.jpg

20221013_133044.jpg

20221013_141313.jpg

20221016_072015.jpg

20221017_160152.jpg

20221017_160159.jpg

20221017_160227.jpg

20221017_160300.jpg

20221013_133118.jpg

Very neat work Nearshore,   Am I correct that this kit has a double planked hull?  The reason I ask is that I am wondering how you are going to get the nails out without damaging the planking if it is single planked.

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Wow - she's really shaping up! Nice work so far! I've been stalled on my Bellona build - the rhythms of my life make Sept-April pretty insanely busy between work, family, friends and extramurals - so it's nice to follow someone else's progress!! 

hamilton

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Very neat work Nearshore,   Am I correct that this kit has a double planked hull?  The reason I ask is that I am wondering how you are going to get the nails out without damaging the planking if it is single planked.

Thanks

Allan

Yes it's a double planked hull. Thank you for the compliment. It would have definitely made it to the first pit if it were single planked. At least I will have a second chance. 

1 hour ago, hamilton said:

Wow - she's really shaping up! Nice work so far! I've been stalled on my Bellona build - the rhythms of my life make Sept-April pretty insanely busy between work, family, friends and extramurals - so it's nice to follow someone else's progress!! 

hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

Yeah I haven't seen to many updates from you. I will forge forward and show you what not to do. Lol sometimes it seems that it's not done right until it's done twice. I'll post another update on the re-do in a few days. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Nearshore 

15 minutes ago, Nearshore said:

It would have definitely made it to the first pit if it were single planked. At least I will have a second chance. 

I have no idea how Corel suggests the outer layer strakes planking is to be laid, but some kit makers have planking that is done as was done in reality, others that don't.   If this is something you are interested in, and if you have not already done so, you would probably appreciate the planking tutorial by noted author (and MSW member) David Antscherl in the articles data base here at MSW and the YouTube video on planking by MSW moderator Chuck Passaro of Syren Ship Model Company.  

Allan

34 minutes ago, Nearshore said:

Hi Hamilton,

Yeah I haven't seen to many updates from you. I will forge forward and show you what not to do. Lol sometimes it seems that it's not done right until it's done twice. I'll post another update on the re-do in a few days. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Nearshore 

if you want to find out what not to do on Bellona you can always look at my build log also.....for most of the build i quite enjoyed it....but like most builds there are several of THOSE moments where i reached for the single malt whisky...

2 hours ago, harlequin said:

if you want to find out what not to do on Bellona you can always look at my build log

Harlequin

We all tend to be our own worst critics.  But, as we tend to stick with it, we do get better.   Most of us will not reach those lofty heights of the masters of old and of today, but as long as it is an enjoyable endeavor, nothing wrong with us continuing to up our skills.   You should be proud of your efforts on your Bellona, I would be.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

Haha - I'm always happy to coattail ride, Nearshore!! Takes the heat off! I'm only a little ways ahead of you in the build (about 1/2 way done the first layer of planking) and since planking is, let's say, not my favourite modelling task, it takes more to pull me back to the workbench! 

hamilton

• 4 months later...

Well, it has been a while since I've posted anything. I have not had much to post. I took a break from the Bellona and have not done anything with her since October 22. Have had lots of other projects to work on around the house. So, after reorganizing my modeling space, I started to fiddle around with where I left off in October. I completed most of the planking on the wales and have started to line off the hull for the first layer of planks. I cut out the false ports for the cannons and squared them off. I laid out the bearding and rabbet lines and carved them out. I have begun laying out and installing the temporary battens for lining out the hull planking. I installed the temporary garboard planks, and I am using them for my initial measurements. I pinned the battens in place but am not happy with the way they line up. I have redone one side and took a pic to show what looks to me as the right alignment verse the wrong alignment. The planks on the left are lining up the way I think they should lay. The planks on the right look to be a problem waiting to happen.  Anyway, that's where I am at right now on the Ballona. I will post another update when I actually start installing the first layer. I will also provide a pic of the temporary battens once they are all lined up properly and pinned down. 

Cheers!!

20221017_160152.jpg

20221017_160159.jpg

20221025_153026.jpg

20221028_161612.jpg

20221028_161639.jpg

20221108_133921.jpg

20221108_133946.jpg

20221108_151113.jpg

20221108_151122.jpg

20230225_092220.jpg

20230225_092239.jpg

20230225_092311.jpg

20230225_093531.jpg

20230227_142854.jpg

20230227_142904.jpg

20230227_142924.jpg

Hello all,

Small update on the Bellona. I glued the garboard planks in place and pinned the temporary battens in their positions. I have marked up the bulk heads so many times, that I decided to use a colored pen to mark the final-final locations of the battens. Before removing them, I marked each side of the planks in blue ink to differentiate from all the other markings on the bulk heads. After removing them, I marked the center line of each plank in red. After everything was marked, I began the daunting task of measuring the overall length of each bulkhead and the measurements between bands. The overall measurements were taken from the wales to the garboard. I plotted the measurements for both starboard and port side. The overall lengths are pretty even, but the measurements between bands and the band widths were off a bit. I believe that this is because the battens were not perfectly aligned and the measurements on port and starboard were off just a tad. I don't see this as a problem, I should be able to adjust when I start the planking. I used the overall measurements of bulkhead 8 and 9 to establish how many planks that would be needed. The first layer of planks are 5mm. I will need 20 planks on bulkheads 8 & 9. I used this measurement to establish the taper of the remaining planks. The taper is the bottom number on the spreadsheet. It was very interesting to line off the hull in this way and the numbers gave me a good indicator of the error on the placement of the temporary battens. The numbers on the column "S" were taken at the stem. It is telling me that the taper between bulkhead 3 and the stem will need to go from 3.25mm at 3 to 2.75mm at the stem. I have laid out a couple planks and tapered them to the measurements on the graph.  I will post an update on the progress as I go. 

Cheers

Nearshore

20230301_170206.jpg

20230301_170235.jpg

20230303_142819.jpg

20230303_143013.jpg

20230303_143032.jpg

20230303_143043.jpg

20230303_150615.jpg

20230303_150626.jpg

20230303_150648.jpg

20230303_150707.jpg

20230304_113945.jpg

2 hours ago, Nearshore said:

I believe that this is because the battens were not perfectly aligned

For the future, try to use battens that are about the same width as they are thick.  The edge bending will be minimal and overall easier to use. 

It will also be easier to taper the planks to their proper width, especially from the dead flat to the bow, if you mark the line of each plank on at least every other bulkhead.   With accurate tapering they will all land at the rabbet as they should, rather than coming up short as seen on many of the build logs.

Allan 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, allanyed said:

For the future, try to use battens that are about the same width as they are thick.  The edge bending will be minimal and overall easier to use. 

It will also be easier to taper the planks to their proper width, especially from the dead flat to the bow, if you mark the line of each plank on at least every other bulkhead.   With accurate tapering they will all land at the rabbet as they should, rather than coming up short as seen on many of the build logs.

Allan 

Hi Allen,

Thank you for the tip. I will certainly try that in the future. I used the 5mm planks that were the same size as the planks that will be used on the first layer. I used them to try and get a feel of how the planks would form to the bulk heads as naturally as possible. I've started tapering the first band planks, hope it turns out ok. If not, I will have a second chance to get it right. I welcome all the advice I can get, I'm learning as I go.

Nearshore

Here is another update on the Bellona. I have installed the first band of planks and tapered them according to the measurements that I took and plotted. I used a piece of tracing paper taped together and laid it on the bulkheads and marked their locations on it. I then transferred those marks to the planks that I would be tapering. I also wrote the amount of tapering that is needed at each bulkhead location on the plank. I used my belt sander to get a course taper and then finished each plank by hand to the specified measurement. I have been struggling with how the planking is supposed to lay on the stern. I have looked at all the build logs and searched other forums for suggestions on how they are supposed to lay. I did find a few pics but nothing that really focused on this part of the build. I have decided that I would put a few pics up on what I think is the proper placement and taper of these planks. Not sure if its right or not, but it's what I am going with on the first layer of planks. If it's wrong, I at least will get another chance to make it right. I am trying to install the first layer as close to what the final planking will be. Its good practice and if it turns out right, the second layer should go fairly smoothly. As you can see from where is am so far, there is going to be a lot of sanding and wood filler in my future. The first band has lined up somewhat close to the band marks on the bulkheads. The Bow and Stern are off a bit, but I hope to try and make the corrections on the next 2 bands of planks. I have started the second band of planks, and when I get a little closer to installing them, I will post another update. Hopefully my plan will work out, but if not, at least I will know where I went wrong and try not to repeat the same mistakes on the final planking. Well, that's it for now. 

Cheers

Nearshore

20230306_131712.jpg

20230312_133931.jpg

20230312_133924.jpg

20230312_133947.jpg

20230312_133957.jpg

20230312_134005.jpg

20230312_133914.jpg

20230310_122741.jpg

20230310_122717.jpg

20230310_122731.jpg

She's really coming along - planking looks nice so far!

hamilton

19 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

I remember bending these planks on the stern of my Bellona model. It is not easy and the angle is very sharp.

You are doing a great job on that kit.

Yves

Hi Yves,

Thank you for the compliment. I still have a very long way to go.

Nearshore 

7 hours ago, Nearshore said:

Thank you Hamilton. Haven't seen any updates from you in sometime. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Nearshore

Yeah - I've turned away from it for a bit to work on my scratch build of Bluenose, so no updates to report on Bellona - you and I are now at almost exactly the same stage in our builds - but you'll get past me for sure before I get back to mine. I want to complete Bluenose up to the masting and rigging and then I'll move back to Bellona - hopefully sometime in early May. In the meanwhile, I'll follow along with you!

hamilton

On 3/14/2023 at 9:16 AM, Nearshore said:

I have looked at all the build logs and searched other forums for suggestions on how they are supposed to lay. I did find a few pics but nothing that really focused on this part of the build.

There are hundreds of contemporary ship models on the RMG Collections site, many of which have photos in several views that might be of a little help.  One example is below of the Hercules (74) 1760.  All views of her can be found at  https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66271

Allan

74gunHercules.thumb.jpg.75ff3eec673ecb6e91a44cab52200971.jpg