Detailing internal decks on multidecked models

How much detail does one ordinarily put in enclosed internal decks on a multidecked ship if one is building a fully planked plank-on-bulkhead model?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

As much as you are willing to build for your own satisfaction. I personally build what is viewable through hatches, gun ports and windows. Most at that would not be viewable as displayed in a case, but a good photographic record would of your build makes nice documentation to go with the model in to the future. 😎

John

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

With plank on bulkhead, you are limited to whatever deck the bulkhead cut out allows, usually the upper most visible deck such as upper deck, FC, and QD.   You can modify the bulkheads and cut them such that the "frame" portion only is exposed down to the middle deck or lower deck as appropriate but then you have to install clamps and deck beams or merely cut out the extra opening in the bulkhead.  (see below)Going that route you can leave off some planking on the uppermost decks to see down to the lower decks.  

With plank on frame you can include  platforms, orlop, filling rooms and magazines, well, and on and on.    Many of us have done this even though these details will likely never be seen once the model is planked unless some planking is left off and some sections of framing is removed.  

There is something to be said for the satisfaction of doing it and knowing the details are down there.  

Allan

137680752_bulkheadcutoutt.JPG.cd304a2a3c4843bbdb9a6ece689fb425.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

As the others have said..."as much as you feel like doing".   In looking at the Hahn models, he cut away quite bit and in some cases almost down to the keel. He also populated those now open areas with some crew, stores, etc.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The hull on this behemoth will be 7/16” thick from outer planking to inner planking.

I’ll see how much interior is visible with the Mercury, through the windows and then decide how crazy I want to get with detailing the interior of my follow on build.

The ship I’m going to be building doesn’t have stern gallery windows (she’s an ironclad), but she does have windows inset in place of gunports (false gunports).

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me