Vasa By 72Nova - FINISHED - Airfix - PLASTIC

• 3 weeks later...

I finished rigging the Fore course portside bowline, sail clew, clew line, sheet block, tack , buntlines and about 1/3 of the ratlines, these I just eyeball the spacing, I do however slide some white paper behind the shrouds as I near the futtock shrouds to avoid securing the upper lines that run close to the inside of the shrouds. As always, I appreciate the complements and likes.

Michael D.

20230726-183502.jpg20230726-183641.jpg

Thank you for the kind compliments gentlemen. Ian I'm using 100wt silk thread, the same stuff I've been using for all the lighter lines, I find with the silk thread I can create a natural sag in the line when needed without really any effort, it measures out at .0004" or 0.1mm, maybe a hair under but in reality still a bit overscale for this build but still looks okay, it would however be perfect for ratlines on say a 1:96-1:100 scale model. I will say since it's a 2 ply thread I did attempt to separate the 2 but in the end it was too maddening and not worth the effort for something that would be almost invisible on the model.

Michael D.

Michael D.

With the lower Fore ratlines completed, I finished mounting the spritsail topmast flag, the lower line is secured at the trestletree and the top line with a knot simulating the toggle is led down to the top. Now I'll focus my attention on the main topsail and lower course yards. Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20230729-141204.jpg20230729-140643.jpg20230729-141758.jpg20230729-135711.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good question, I would think they would be placed over the grating and lashed or in a box of some sort and placed over the grating, racks on the bulwarks are a possibility but I'd go with the aforementioned location.

Michael D.

Not much happening in the shipyard lately due to adding a new member to the family, meet Houston a 13-week-old Redbone Coonhound, yes, my neighbors will love me for this!..hehe. Anyways I managed to mount the main topsail yard, tie, lifts and the pendants for the martnets, currently working on the main course, at this point the sail is ready to be furled then I'll attach the martnets and buntline blocks before securing it to the yard.

Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20230817-152928.jpg20230817-151946.jpg20230817-150409.jpg20230817-153839.jpg

Thank you, Frank. I was able to find some time to install the main course yard, parral rope and martnets, up next will be the main topsail clews so I can complete the topsail sheets and the pendants for the lower course lift blocks and lower course clews. As always thanks for taking the time to look.

Michael D.

20230825-100409.jpg20230825-100241.jpg

20230825-100341.jpg

That’s a happy dog you have there, Michael.  Congrats on the addition to your family!

I hate to ask redundant questions, but of your 17th C. rigging sources, which would you say are the most helpful/insightful toward rigging a model? I have Anderson and Lees; each have their individual merits, although I have not done any exhaustive study of either.  Do you have other sources you are using?  Your understanding of rigging function and nomenclature is outstanding.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Good day Michael,

Your rigging works Looks Great! 

And congrats on the addition to your family! Dog is nice!

All the best !

Kirill!

19 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Do you plan on adding waistcloth to your Model? The Vasa, as well as basically every other ship at the time, had it. 

Good question but no, my main focus from the beginning was to add to the museum display by fully masting and rigging her, one thing I do find odd though is every build I've looked at and that? includes the 1/10 model at the museum, is the Helm is not represented?

Michael D.

Hi Marc,

At the time I back dated Victory I used Lee's exclusively and still use it as an additional reference along with John Harland Seamanship in the age of sail on this build as there are some similarities between the two countries but mostly Anderson's book and the pictures Kirill provides. There are other sources like Treatise, Steele etc but these 3 books for now suffice for me without getting too overwhelmed/confused if that makes sense?

Michael D.

2 hours ago, 72Nova said:

Good question but no, my main focus from the beginning was to add to the museum display by fully masting and rigging her, one thing I do find odd though is every build I've looked at and that? includes the 1/10 model at the museum, is the Helm is not represented?

Michael D.

My understanding is that the helm on Vasa exists behind and below the bulkhead that supports the quarter deck.  There is a three slat opening, at main deck level and between the bulkhead doors (if memory serves), that would serve as the communication port to the helmsman.

This is also a feature of the Batavia reconstruction.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Learn something new every day regarding the wheel, thanks Michael. As Marc had mentioned, it basically is beneath the Qtr deck, post #135 shows the area in question. Here's a picture of the original compartment.

Michael D.

Vasa-steerage-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The main course is nearing completion with the buntlines and bowlines still left to do then move on to the Mizen mast, once that's completed then I'll go back and rig and rig the main ratlines all the braces and lower sheet lines.

Michael D.

20230904-105433.jpg20230904-104231.jpg

20230904-103848.jpg