Endurance by B-Ram - OcCre - Scale 1:70 - Shackleton's expedition ship

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if there will be a lot of interest in another Endurance build as there are many very nice builds already. This will be my rendition. 

I have admired Ernest Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition for a long time. What he and his men were able to endure was truly amazing. With the recent discovery of the Endurance wreck, the story has become more interesting.

I have purchased the kit from a local hobby shop. I am lucky to have a hobby shop close to me. I found that the contents of the box, in my opinion, are very good. All of the supplied wood is of good quality. The laser cutting is very crisp, photo etching very nice and fittings are of good quality. The supplied instructions are very good. The instructions include written instructions, pictorial steps and there are QR codes to scan that will take you to the corresponding YouTube video for that pictorial step. 

This will be my second build, so I still have lots to learn. From my first build, I learned  that I need to spend more time thinking about the step I am going to take before I perform the step. I found it frustrating to perform a step and come back later only to discover I did it all wrong. I did a lot of "What Was I Thinking". 

I plan to do a lot enhancements to the kit along the way. I have been able to gather over fifty photographs of the ships and I feel the are a lot of corrections that can be made to the kit. 

Along the way, if anyone has any comment on a step that I did wrong or something I could do better, please let me know. I welcome all comments and information.

Thanks Bill

I'm not tired of Endurance logs, the whole saga is one of my favorite stories of exploration. Interested to see how you make the kit your own.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I plan to make changes based on the pictures that I have collected.

Some of the changes are as follows:

• The planking for the kit appears to be too wide. The supplied material with the kit is 5mm. This would equate to an approximately 14" (355.6mm)wide plank. From looking at my pictures, the planks appear to be around 7-8 inches wide. I have read that some kit manufactures generally supply 5mm material for deck planking without regard for scale of the model.
  • In the pictures, the planks may be painted. I can't see any end to end butts and I don't see any nailing.
  • The smokestack (I'm not sure if there is an official name) is round in the kit. It should be a rounded rectangle.
  • On the model, below the foredeck there is no opening. The pictures shows a opening, but I can't tell if there are any doors. More investigation needed.
  • The model vent stacks are way too small and will need to be replaced and repositioned
  • The hull planking is very different from the model.

There are a lot more enhancements I plan along the way.

It's going to be fun.

Thanks,

Bill

Ahoy, Bill !   'Glad you're building the Endurance.  I'm holding off on mine until I can see what more might be FINISHED in the forum.  You mention "many" Endurance builds on the Forum ... but presently I only find 5 on the Index - and only the one by Hake Zou was finished (perhaps the index should be updated with the "Finished" designation).  The others have been dormant, and each has taken different approaches to some aspect of the building - as far as they went.  Compared to the LONG list of Cutty Sark builds, the Endurance seems like only a few.

I did a "kit review" (found in the kit review section, as only unbuilt 'in the box' contents should be in that forum section), with initial opinions as to strengths and weaknesses.  In the kit review I did, there are a number of suggested improvements to get a more accurate result - but I noted that 'as supplied' an acceptable intermediate level model can be built.  Hake Zou certainly did make some of the improvements, and Clearway's build (as far as it goes) made others.

The entire forum has been scrounged for good ideas and tips ... a recent one showed a Jim-dandy way of making realistic rope coils for hanging on the belaying pins, and another showed how to use black construction paper as 'caulking' between deck planks (a method which has clear advantages over pencil, marker or crayon use).  As for deck pinning (doweling), they just don't appear in the many photos of the Endurance available - so I would not bother trying to represent them.

The most obvious (and cost effective) improvements to the kit would be to:  A.) Learn miniature rope making with the Syren 'Rope Rocket' - or buy pre-made miniature rope from either the two suppliers.  This will almost totally reduce the 'fuzzies' in the rigging;  B.) Get dark-wood deadeyes of the correct scale;  and C.) Make your own sails (or show them furled - reference the Glory of the Seas build) from light weight silk or very fine Lawn (cotton) using the supplied sails as patterns.  I plan to slice the supplied planks in half to get then more to scale width.  Also, filling between all the bulkheads with basswood may make fairing and planking easier (and better).

The blocks on the Endurance were 'internally stropped' (as opposed to wrapping rope around the supplied blocks to strop), and there is a source of ideal blocks of that type suitable for a 1:70 build ... the blocks found in the Revell 1:96 Cutty Sark (plastic) kit - which are a tad oversized at the stated scale, but suitable for 1:70.  You can see them in the Glory build as well ... lots to learn there in the VERY long (page wise) project where the first 50 - 70 pages are mostly devoted to getting the research right.

BTW, look at the Endurance photos and you won't find metal surrounds to the side portholes on the rear cabin.  From England to South America to the Antarctic, the ship underwent constant modifications, so one should decide which point in time to re-create.  No telling what you may come up with, but focus on satisfying yourself.

Clear sailing !     Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for looking in. My comment about "many" builds is a fallback to my scale R/C aircraft competition days. When you built an airplane for competition, you wanted to build something that obscure and not well known. This aspect was helpful during judging. The last thing you wanted was to have four or five aircraft that were the same as yours. I have just started this kit, but it looks like it will be a lot easier than my first build. My wasn't hard, but it appears that this kit has better instructions. There will be many changes along the way. I like to take things one step at a time. If I get too far ahead, I always mess up. I do plan on replacing many of the fittings. I have been able to gather around fifty pictures of the Endurance. I am aware of the Getty Images. Do you know of another source for pictures?

Thanks for the likes also.

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little update.

I've created the opening under the foredeck and have added planking to that area. I have also added shiplap to the wall under the foredeck. I will need to add stain to the planking and paint the interior under the fore deck. Also I've gotten 3 of the four decks planked.

Bill

end5.jpg.18861602a59d2eb78c8022eb439bf5d7.jpg

end6.jpg.ef9fc16706d6f055e315c97b5ee4a650.jpg

end7.jpg.edcd4619936e7026c5e2a4eeb3616b01.jpg

• 2 months later...

Congrats - you're the first that I've seen to have a central access under the forecastle.  Decks look great !

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

47 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Congrats - you're the first that I've seen to have a central access under the forecastle.  Decks look great !

i agree- by time i noticed i was too far in and didn't want to rip everything apart again!

Keith

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone:

I, too, am building the Endurance and have a question reguarding the foremast deadeye attachment. The plans and picture show the deadeyes mounted to the deck rail, whereas the other deadeyes are mounted in the traditional fashion. Is this per the kit or by design? I can not find any pictures of the real ship to verify this either way. Any thoughts? Bobcat

21 hours ago, Bobcat1970 said:

I, too, am building the Endurance and have a question reguarding the foremast deadeye attachment. The plans and picture show the deadeyes mounted to the deck rail, whereas the other deadeyes are mounted in the traditional fashion. Is this per the kit or by design? I can not find any pictures of the real ship to verify this either way. Any thoughts? Bobcat

They are mounted on same as the main and stern deadeyes- check my log for endurance and there is a pic of my interpretation along with a pic link from hakezou- i had to use a slightly wider chainwhale to compensate for the thickness of the kits deadeyes.

Keith

Hello everyone, 

Hi Joe. I have heard some discussion on the placement. If I have some difficulty, I will give you a holler. Thanks.

I didn’t like the way the deck color turned out, so I removed all of the staining.

Also, I am in the middle of the first planking.

Bill

6D653C2E-62B1-49D3-BCB1-8960A4E71704.thumb.jpeg.73138e89935f6d2c487ff3f98d00a89f.jpeg3331AD4C-3179-40F6-B08E-24DCDE8CCC2F.thumb.jpeg.136c95a9335518e2e2238896ff374b41.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great, congrats

On board in this bulid log, the Shakleton expeditión is one of my favorites, the Antartica is one of the most misterious today, and I read and listening much podcast about it

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

Nice progress, Bill! I'll follow along as well since I really like this ship and its history.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 3/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, B-Ram said:

Hello everyone,

The first planking is almost complete. A little finish sanding to do. Next I will install the stern.

Bill

FF4889FD-6394-4842-A637-566CD97335D7.thumb.jpeg.fef91ec61ed4220d69e708a8c5bcb92f.jpeg

I see a model plane on the top shelf in the corner ...

Bill, a 90" wing span on a 1 1/2 Strutter!! That's a gigantic (and interesting) plane.  My Sopwith is about half that size.  A friend of mine, about 35 years ago, called me one day shortly after his father died and asked me if I would like to finish the half completed model airplane his father was working on when he passed. I told him it may take a couple of years or more and that due to an impending move I'd have to ship it to him on completion.  He told me the only commitment he wanted was that I would someday finish the job, and he did not want me to send it back to him.  So it's been a privilege to have it hanging from my ceiling for quite a few years.  When you get the time, your Strutter will be well worth finishing.

Tom

IMG_7335.thumb.JPG.aab8abf111d86f989788919b37de1781.JPG

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Hi Tom,

It looks like you did a great job on your Sopwith Camel. Some day I will probably finish the Strutter. I spent the last 25 or so years building large scale r/c airplanes and just got burned out. I have always admired the skill of the people who build wooden model ships. I never thought my skills were good enough to build ships of the quality as are built on this site. I decided to give it a try. I have so much to learn, but I am enjoying the challenge very much.

Bill