USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

It's very slow going making these fife rails. The mizzen rail is done, now I'm 3/4 through the foremast rail. I hope to get all three done before I give leave to my shipyard crew Friday night so we can all go to the Caribbean .

post-4214-0-91372100-1402465364_thumb.jpg

I've rough finished all three fife rails. I've set them in position for the pics, but I have to fine finish them next before gluing them..

post-4214-0-28420900-1402550352_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-07248900-1402550364_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-49034500-1402550376_thumb.jpg

Since Constructo didn't provide for binnacles, I've asked for help and Jeff came through. I'm copying as best I can his binnacles.

post-4214-0-13047600-1402550509_thumb.jpg

See ya mates!     My whole shipyard crew including my Admiral have packed our sea bags and will be sailing the pirate infested waters of the Caribbean.

Have a safe and enjoyable time.  We'll keep a light on in the stern gallery to guide you home.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well my crew is well rested and the laundry's done from our trip to the Carribbean. No pirates, but I went aboard a three masted brig. Very nice ship with many of the old ship stuff. Now it's back to work in the shipyard. Thanks for all your nice remarks.

Glad you made it home safely and had a good time.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Working on the skylight. Constructo gave me a cylinder and told me to make it into a hexagon? As bad as I am with woodworking I couldn't figure out how to do that. While sailing in the Carribbean it struck me....I bought a hex nut and used it to mark the hex shape then sanded it to shape. It's not bad for a clumsy ox like me. 

Then they gave me a sheet of brass so I had to cut out the skylight part and bend it into shape. Good but not great. I have to idea how to make the skylight look like glass?

post-4214-0-90937100-1403566084_thumb.jpg

I have used acitate many times.  There is also a solution out I forget the name that can make a glass like surface when it dries.

David B

Edited by dgbot

A hex nut! Great thought Rich! The ingenuity on this site never ceases to amaze me I would have taken all day with a compass a pensile and probably a straight edge and it still  wouldnt have loked any better. Nice job. If your looking for making sheets of "glass" Davids acetate is your best bet I would think. If your trying to fill in an area like a recess there are liquid solutions at art stores. I used something called  Gallery Glass from Plaid Enterprises. It worked pretty good, not great, just pretty good. It was the best I found for filling recesses although it took several applications. My first choice would be the acetate though. Hope that helps

Sam

Bw, welcome home.

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I'm experimenting with different ways to make the hammock cranes. So far I've made three different kinds of "U" shaped cranes that don't seem to be very sturdy after being glued on. They tend to break loose with just a little pressure. This experiment had me buy some 1/4" mesh screen and cut a three mesh wide strip which I bent the two outside panels 90 degrees to form a "U" shaped channel. It roughly works. Now, if I can straighten it all out to looks nice and neat and then paint it brass...... it might work?  

post-4214-0-61913600-1403587267_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-46929400-1403587278_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-02894100-1403587290_thumb.jpg

Interesting idea.  It will be up to you to judge if the scale is correct - you don't want them to be overpowering.  Have you considered going with a black, rather then brass, finish?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I also think all hammock nets take away from the beauty of all the ships I see. They give a cluttered look. I was even thinking of only installing one section? I'll probably stick with light brass wire, but I like to experiment.

That may be the ticket ----  minimizing them to one section (the waist?).  I tend to agree they can add a lot of 'confusion' although the netting veil does add interest!  Decisions, decisions !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

WARNING!!!

Do Not Spray poly or varnish on your model !

I made that mistake trying to add just a little sheen to the single coat I'd given her. Wow! What a mess! It looked like the ship had sailed through some ice fog which left a frosty coating all over. I'm now on my third day removing the "frost". It's all almost gone. I'm a brush man from now on!

Yikes!  And here I am always trying to get the sheen off.  Brushes it is, Sir!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm still working on the skylight. I treated the windows as if only a dim light would be coming from below decks. It would be muted with tones of brown with only a hint of lightness. I tried shades of blue like the sky, but it looked awful. I still have to work on the trim. At least I got he shape okay.

post-4214-0-95750200-1403719055_thumb.jpg