USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

While I'm pondering steps, I dry pinned the bowsprit. I used a 2mm dowel for a pin.  I will remove it now for later installation. Now I can glue the last grate.

post-4214-0-07452500-1401727732_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-68457400-1401727745_thumb.jpg

If possible make a fixture that will hold up the sides of the ladders. Once you are sure they are properly aligned try dry fitting the steps in.  Widening the slot a little if you have to once together glue the entire thing up.  There are other ways,  however this might be the easiest way to do the job without making them.

David B

My big fat hands knocked off a davit while working on the stairs....pinned and glued! So, I put up some false masts with spare dowels I had to remind me there are glued down things sticking out of the hull  and to watch where my big, fat hands go.

post-4214-0-67545900-1401771856_thumb.jpg

I'm experimenting with making my own stairs. I do not like the parts Constructo gave me. I'll play with this for a while and either have success or some more scrap wood.

post-4214-0-97611500-1401771976_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim I.

Here's my experimental stair factory. Time will tell.

Rich,

How does that tool work for you? I have seen it before, but I am skeptical on how it would cut. Do you get pressure marks?

Thanks,

Tim 

Tim,

It's great for mass production jobs. All pieces cut will be the exact same length, but the pieces require some square sanding with your micro-sander to make all cuts precise. Even with a very sharp  blade, it cuts slightly off perpendicular

No...it's not Jacob's ladder....it's my mass produced stairs! All I have to do is clean up some extra glue and then cut them to size. So far so good!

post-4214-0-81328600-1401896145_thumb.jpg

Not every step is perfect, but I made way more than I will need, so I can cherry pick the best sections. These steps look much better than the Constructo steps since they each have wider landing treads than Constructo's.

Three stairs installed and four to go. I've been working on these stairs for over a week now and what amazes me is. when my ship is finished, with full rigging and sails, I doubt anyone will be able to look down those hatches. Oh well! I'll know.

post-4214-0-26760600-1401939411_thumb.jpg

Perhaps few will notice a particular detail like the stairs.  But in the end, all these little bits come into play in the totality of the ship.  Besides, much of what we put into these models is to please ourselves.  We all tend to pick on ourselves for the flaws we know are there.  So take some time to sit back and truly enjoy the small things we've accomplished.

By the way, the overall tones you've produced thusfar are terrific.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hola Rich, I completely agree with Augie about the little things that makes the whole wonderful and mainly the self satisfaction for a job well done.

By the other side I remember a comment that Ulises made some time ago in this forum:  is very frustrating when a person come to my house, see one of my models, and after a glance made the comment "very nice" for a work that take me months to build!!!

Saludos and continue with your very nice work,  Karl

:dancetl6:

One stair to go! The problem is, when I was trying to be a perfectionist with one final adjustment to that last stair.....it slipped out of my tweezer and into the deep dark hull forever! I had made some extra stairs, so I shall dress those up and attempt the installation of the final stairway. I have to clean up the glue on the stairs in the pic.

Thanks for all the great comments.

post-4214-0-32828200-1401985050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

Very nice......and WE all know they're there.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I put a lifeline on the last stair in case it slips out of my tweezer like the last one did. Now that I have a line tied to it, I shall fit and glue it.

post-4214-0-37873600-1402025666_thumb.jpg

Lifeline ---- I really like that and will use that suggestion for my ladders.  I know my last build has a few 'spare parts' rattling around in the bilge :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Your idea of a lifeline is great and as far as I am concerned a keeper.  This site is great I am always learning something new.

David B

I installed the ship's wheel just now. I had to paint cast aluminum, silver colored parts to look like wood. I failed miserably, but my Admiral, who is an excellent oil painter matched the ship's wood perfectly.  Gluing the unit and feeding the lines through the deck holes proved once again that I'm all thumbs. I knocked another davit off and had to re-glue it.

post-4214-0-94293400-1402116804_thumb.jpg

Augie and I have been swapping tall tales about scrap piles we managed to collect. I decided to look deeply into this hoarder's delight.

First, I have a tube on my workbench that holds current or recently used pieces. Second, when I don't think I'll have an immediate need for some of it, it goes into my primary scrap pile in the front of my supply closet. After that, any  good stuff goes into my secondary scrap pile a little deeper in my storage closet, then after that, I have a complete junk pile that I keep just in case all the other scrap piles fail me. I also have all the cut out forms for shaping and bending wood. Last resort is my lumber scrap pile in my garage. I guess I am an addicted hoarder. You never know when one of those scrap piles will yield a trophy!

post-4214-0-67030800-1402116957_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-98238300-1402116980_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-01590600-1402116995_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-79615700-1402117017_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-35798000-1402117032_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-84228100-1402117045_thumb.jpg

Agreed.  It only takes that one piece to win the day.  And I see you have a PC to keep track of your spare parts.  Nice touch!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I go by memory.  From strips and sheets that were never used to l stuff that needs milled down.  I also have odd shaped boxes for small stuff.  You never know when that 3X2X1/8 piece of wood will come in handy.

David B

I guess I am an addicted hoarder. You never know when one of those scrap piles will yield a trophy!

Rich, 

First the wheel looks great. Dont you love/hate it when somebody can make something look so simple like color match? 

As far as the hoarding, I think there is a bit of that in every modeler. You (and probably every builder here) would have loved the bone yard we just cleared out a few months ago at work. 75'x250' of Treasures-In-Waiting. Metals and plastics, foams of all densities, electric gear motors, pumps, generators. You name it, we probably had it back there or could have modified something into what you were looking for. It was a hoarders dream.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise