USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

You're right David B. & Mike,

I cleaned up most of Constructo's cleats ( some were so bad they can't be cleaned up) and painted them. I'll let the paint dry while I'm snorkeling in Cancun.

Thanks

post-4214-0-62572400-1405651866_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-94505300-1405651876_thumb.jpg

They look okay to me. Plus once you start putting lines on them they will look even better.

David B

You've done a fine job on them and David makes a good point.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I look at model kits this way, they supply the parts, you supply the labor and between the two, I hope to come out with an exceptable model. I have seen some high end models that turned out poorly as well as I have seen some less expensive kits turn out msome beautiful models. It depends on how well the model is constructed by the builder and finished off. I have discarded some kit materials and opted to either replace them with higher end fittings or make my own. A kit is only the starting point, it's up to YOU to make a beautiful model out of it.

I'm starting deck gun production. I had to make most parts from scratch with a very poor drawing and photo to guide me. I'm still making the barrel mount rod from coiled wire. Thanks to you all, I now know how to straighten it out. After I get this proto type together, I'll work on wheel design. I'm studying many different photos and drawings of deck guns to come up with a design that I think will look good.

post-4214-0-22897800-1406505077_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-12426200-1406505089_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-66556700-1406505100_thumb.jpg

I finished a prototype of a deck cannon. I'll study it for a while and if I still like it in a few days, I'll tackle 21 more. You all get to vote.

post-4214-0-51406400-1406513061_thumb.jpg

Question?:

Does anyone glue their deck guns permanently in position?

I had to pin the two deck guns on my Virginia Pilot Boat since they slid all around the deck whenever I touched the ship. I can only imagine with 22 deck guns, my deck will look a total mess.

Rich,

I answered in your other post about this, but I think it's the de facto standard.  We definitely don't want those babies moving around.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Since the cannon carriages on the Mamoli Connie were metal I used a spot of epoxy under each cannon. I could not possibly have done any of the rigging on the cannon without first gluing the cannon firmly in place. 

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Here's my gun assembly line. First I have to straighten the coiled wire and cut it into 10mm pieces. Then I have to glue that pin into a the hole in the cannon. I made a measured marked "jig" on masking tape to place the two vertical gun supports then glue the cannons to it. When that is set, I glue the cannons on to a 10mm by 20mm piece for the platform. Then I glue the wheels that I fabricated out of "Q" tip shafts and painted plack. Then I glue the elevation wedge with a brass pin installed. Last I'll add brass rings for the rigging.

I'm half way through making the cannons. Another few days should do it. Then I'll start rigging them. 

post-4214-0-87892900-1406861738_thumb.jpg

Here's a dress rehearsal for the first 11 guns. I'm doing it to check out the scope of the rigging and to do some touching up on spots I don't like. I want fairly good continuity down the line.

post-4214-0-66861000-1406868542_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-72911300-1406868554_thumb.jpg

She's gettin' her teeth!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Full Dress Rehearsal!!      All guns in place.      Just looking at the fully armed model gives one pause at the lethal fire power of a close aboard broadside would have!  I wouldn't want to sail close aboard this ship with enemy colors flying.

Enough fiction....now to rigging the guns.

post-4214-0-95457700-1406994357_thumb.jpg

It took me over a half hour to do just three guns with two rings each. At this rate gun rigging will take a very long time. Oh well....what else is there to do?

post-4214-0-71500600-1407027065_thumb.jpg

Rich, the carronades also had a ring at the top of the cascabel for the breech line to go through. The long guns had the breech line wrapped around the cascabel. I soldered rings onto each of the carronade barrels for this.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli