HMS Winchelsea by James G (Jim) - 1:48

6 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Looks good, seems like excellent work on the fairing. One suggestion if you haven’t already done it.  Make a copy and cut out the transom diagram and check your fairing, especially the lower counter where the curve meets the wales.  It doesn’t have to be exact but it should be close, almost a reverse C.

Thanks for tip Glenn! I checked it out and I think I’m pretty close. I do see the reverse C. No doubt lots of tweaking will have to happen throughout the planking process. Appreciate your hard won experience and guidance.IMG_1367.thumb.jpeg.e2a673fb41eb9079508bcfcfdf35085a.jpeg

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

I actually printed and cutout the lower counter decoration (in B&W)to see how it would fit, of course the planking and wales add width. Looks like your ready to plank, let the fun begin.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

All is looking very good thusfar Jim. Once you’ve glued on those lower counter planks positioned with that template you’re using, you’ll see where planks have to start and end. Let the planking journey and fun begin!

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I actually printed and cutout the lower counter decoration (in B&W)to see how it would fit, of course the planking and wales add width. Looks like your ready to plank, let the fun begin.

Thanks Glenn. I misunderstood. Here is a pic based on your recommendation. I still have some final shaping to do but I think I’m close

IMG_1368.thumb.jpeg.6b8b4df26d1091d6d8fa3e9910dd825c.jpeg

1 hour ago, FrankWouts said:

All is looking very good thusfar Jim. Once you’ve glued on those lower counter planks positioned with that template you’re using, you’ll see where planks have to start and end. Let the planking journey and fun begin!

Frank.

Thank you Frank. I’ve been using your log to ensure I’m taking into account the spacing the planks take with the overall build. Especially when it comes to the q gallery and window positions. Your documentation really helps!

Jim 

That’s excellent, you’re right there!  Checking all this stuff now makes the next steps a little easier

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

A quick update. I installed and shaped the planking on the lower counter. A big thank you to Frank and Glenn. Your build logs and feedback continue to be helpful. The lower counter reflects the shape of the frieze and I’ve accounted for the addition of the wales. Hopefully I hit it right! 😆 I know this part can be a bit tricky. Finally, I decided to redo the filler strips. I still need to fare them but what I’d installed before wasn’t going to hit the mark. Became evident once the lower counter planking was in place. Thanks for taking a look, the likes and appreciated feedback!

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.8f4731a4857fc1d1c9121fefaeca89ed.jpegIMG_1370.thumb.jpeg.120d3600c6c50b2812c80030f0fd0e8d.jpeg

Edited by James G

Jim 

That’s excellent, you’re right there!  Checking all this stuff now makes the next steps a little easier

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 months later...

Before beginning the planking process in Chapter 2 I wanted to learn and practice a bit more . To help with my skills I’ve been working through the planking skill building project that’s offered through the NRG. A very helpful tool! If you want some additional training and practice this is a wonderful resource. I’ll begin Chapter 2 once I’ve completed this half hull. Happy New Year 🎊 everyone!

IMG_1424.thumb.jpeg.227d582ed82f80a7700df9ba820ac3ee.jpeg

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, I must say that your Winnie looks absolutely amazing thus far.  I only hope that my build will come out looking that good.  I am about to start cutting out the bulkheads.  I also purchased the NRG half hull planking kit.  Guess I should get cracking on it to get some good planking practice in.  

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Kenny, I cut my own bulkheads and former as well. It takes some extra time but I don’t regret the experience I gained by doing so. Looks like you’re getting off to a nice start. Best wishes!

Jim 

• 5 weeks later...

The NRG Merchantman Half Hull project is now complete. Excellent tool for developing planking skills. Highly recommend! More to come on my Winnie build journey.

IMG_1473.thumb.jpeg.a83336261248c4789c95db71c8339bf3.jpeg

Jim 

That is one fine looking half hull merchantman model.  I am currently planking mine at the moment to gain some experience.  I started with planking the wales and up; and plan to use Chuck's method of planking below the wales.

Can't wait to see some more progress on your Winnie.

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful