HMS Winchelsea 1764 by KennyH78 - 1/48

So I got some happy mail today from Chuck!  The laser cut pieces for Chapter 1 minus the bulkheads and bulkhead former.  I elected to go with cherry wood.  My plan for the bulkheads and former is to cut them out on my X-Carve CNC.  My first step is to take the pdf files and get them loaded up in the program; hopefully at the right scale.

winnie.thumb.jpg.c5568ee360d43006296f89969f8d8ef6.jpg

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Welcome, Winchelsea is a great project, I’m over two years into mine. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you for the warm welcomes and Happy New Year to you all!  This build will be slow going to start with since my CNC’s main job is to make me money to feed my hobbies.  I am currently working on importing the bulkhead PDFs and getting ready to cut a test bulkhead to ensure that I got them sized correctly.

Kenny

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Welcome Kenny! I started my Winnie about a year ago. Just beginning Chapter 2. A great model and a great group here. Lots of support whenever you need it. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

So I have started the process of getting the bulkhead PDF files converted into a file type that my CNC likes; SVG.  I have also went ahead and did a test cut of 2 of the bulkheads to see if I got the measurements right.  As you can see by the pictures below, I have them sized a little too small.  I will adjust the sizes of them in the program and cut them again on some more scrap 1/8" ply that I have laying around.

winnie1.thumb.jpg.fd313a1a877a3dea7de0d2d7e6367527.jpgwinnie2.thumb.jpg.9f02d1552a01d63c38fcbfbde985e4a8.jpgwinnie3.thumb.jpg.f45cd20e5d331649d2ba65ab0754297a.jpg

Kenny

These require a lot of fairing once installed plus the reference marks are very handy lining up the wales and gun ports. I hope your wood choice works out for you

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Glenn, I’m sure it will. The plywood seen above is not what I will be using for the skeleton. These are just test pieces to ensure that all of my settings are correct in the CNC program

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

My order of 6 sheets of 1/4 x 12 x 24 midwest plywood came yesterday.  After letting the wood acclimate to my environment in the packaging for 24 hrs, I am almost ready to make a little saw dust.  Impatience has gotten the best of me, so I have decided to cut the bulkheads and the former pieces with my trusting old scroll saw.  I kinda feel like that will be less stressful as well.  The CNC does exactly what you tell it to do; and if my calculations are off by just little bit, then all of that plywood becomes firewood.  

So,  I have all of the bulkhead and former templates cut out and glued onto the plywood; got them all to fit on the 6 sheets.  I will start cutting them out later today or tomorrow.IMG_7427.thumb.jpg.77a0b21eab0babc2796bf076f345a213.jpgIMG_7428.thumb.jpg.9747fc72b214398693c8a52bf51278ce.jpg

Kenny

Posted (edited)

Hello Kenny,

Welcome to the Winchelsea project from me too and Happy New Year!

Also you have my deepest respect cutting all the bulkheads yourself on the scroll saw...

A lot of extra work I'm too lazy doing myself I'm afraid LOL...

But your plan and preparation look superb to my eye!

Have fun!
Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Hi Kenny.  I don’t know anything about your conversion process, but if it involves the print function, you will need to make sure the scale is set to 100%.  Read my log for a tale of whoa and despair over that error.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks for the tip Matt @Matt D.  I have already read through a few build logs and made sure that my bulkhead templates were printed to scale using the scale that Chuck added to the PDFs.  Once I get the false keel cut and fitted, I will check it against the plans.  Progress is slow on this one, life tends to get in the way a lot.

Kenny

Started cutting out the bulkheads and false keel.  So far I only have bulkheads K-W cut out and mostly shaped.  My process is to cut them out on the scroll saw staying outside of the line at around 1/16-1/8 of an inch.

winnie4.thumb.jpg.717c7e42afe1802011afa63050407498.jpg

As you can see, I am not that great at it.  Then I take the bulkheads to my spindle sander and sand up to the pencil line on all of the areas the spindle will reach.  The rest will be hand sanded to the line.  The slots where the bulkhead slides onto the false keel will be sanded to fit to ensure a good tight fit on the false keel.

winnie5.thumb.jpg.6d380d8cde7131cd7b4c10edcb2512cf.jpg

I have also cut out all three pieces of the false keel and carefully sanded the puzzle piece connections to get a good tight fit.  I still need to file/sand the slots for the bulkheads, but plan to do that in conjunction with each bulkhead to ensure a good fit.

winnie6.thumb.jpg.6a46d15f4fddc0a91c6f3eb2254de475.jpgwinnie7.thumb.jpg.d0d47b1aae62d88b29c32e8c773a23ba.jpgwinnie8.thumb.jpg.945dac90b77508759b8e7ce85038e14d.jpg

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back at cutting out bulkheads.  I was able to get 7-8 of the rough cut out today.  I will get them all sanded up the lines after they are all cut out.  Bulkheads K-W and the forward most false keel piece had to be scraped.  The forward false keel piece didn't look quite right against the other 2 pieces and when I put the dry fitted assembly up against the plans, I could clearly see why.  Seems that the printer I used to print the templates did not print them to 100 scale.  I reprinted them all, checked the scale bar on the last page and everything is good now.  Just had wait another week for more plywood sheets.  So bulkheads K-W will have to be recut as well.  Not sure what went wrong, I used the same setting for the printer (same printer); only difference is the computer that was used to send the files to the printer (I printed them at work; don't tell my boss).  Anyways, all is good now and I am back on track.

winnie9.thumb.jpg.922e66d07bb436c41894b820895f758f.jpgwinnie10.thumb.jpg.34eca021aa7456d4cead213adac5a91d.jpgwinnie11.thumb.jpg.0be45dbc6456863c30003ee5150dee2f.jpg

Kenny

A quick update to the build; all of the bulkheads and bulkhead former pieces along with the stern and stem filler pieces have been rough cut out of lite ply 1/4" thick.  Next up is the tedious task of final shaping all the pieces per the templates.  I will also take care to ensure that all of the bulkheads fit snugly into their respective slots on the bulkhead former and that all 3 pieces of the bulkhead fit snugly together.  No power tools for this task, just needle files and 80 grit sanding sticks.  Doing it by hand gives me greater control to finesse the pieces to their final shapes.  I hope to be able to get this done in about a week or so, but am in no rush.  It is clear that these initial steps in building the skeleton are a crucial step to having a great model at the end.IMG_7465.thumb.jpg.7585b63ae7dbc95464d81bd39f13a221.jpg  

Kenny

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the likes.

Progress is moving along, even if it is at a snail's pace.  I got bulkheads K-W fitted to the forward former.  The forward former piece is also fitted to the middle former piece.  

IMG_7498.thumb.jpg.1ec2ede29273155699d6a49cb5fb804d.jpgIMG_7499.thumb.jpg.af3d7f4b1a6e6ada63ab6a7170a54b9d.jpg

The bulkheads are only dry fitted right now.  Working on the middle former piece now along with bulkheads I through 9.

IMG_7500.thumb.jpg.9e071b1a298b60e56e24610a624aa955.jpg

I also cut out the pieces for the skeleton hold up clamps on my X-Carve.  So far I have 2 of them assembled; only 4 more to go.  Once I get these all assembled and the bulkhead former completed, I will make the build board for the model.

As always, thanks for looking in on my log; any and all comments are welcomed.

Kenny

A quick update on the build.  All 10 bulkheads that fit onto the midship former have been finish shaped and fitted to the former with sanding sticks and files.  I have also fitted all 3 former pieces to each other and will start working on the slots of the stern former and bulkheads in the next week.

IMG_7492.thumb.jpg.c888dc3b1aebfbe78a3b2ee91945fae0.jpgIMG_7506.thumb.jpg.eba0a46bfff62d76af360ad3f07a9ce0.jpgIMG_7507.thumb.jpg.417cab6ceb2f5559d2f580359b69743d.jpg

Kenny