Belt/disc sander questions

Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a hobby sander, but I am debating between two units. If any of you have this disk/belt sander, or the Proxxon I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Allwin is only $80.00 (USD) and is a combo belt/disc sander from Micromark. But at $80.00 maybe too cheap quality wise?

http://www.micromark.com/allwin-benchtop-mini-disk-and-belt-sander,9620.html

----------------------------------------------------

The Proxxon  37060 Disc Sander TG 125/E is only a disc sander but weighs in at $230.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XZMJZ4/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have two Proxxon tools and like them both.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

The MicroMark is very similar to the one's I've seen at the home improvement stores.  You might take a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot (check their websites to make sure they have it) to see what they look and feel like. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Gentlemen,

I am still sort of debating. The Byrnes I looked at but, I find it to be much to pricy for me. Proxxon gets consistently good reviews. I'll prob. get that one and give up on the belt option.

I did searches at Lowes and HD.com and find that their offerings are either too big or mirror the Allwin for a bit more money.

Also, I imagine that, if a part fails it would be easy to order parts for the Proxxon.

Again, thanks for your opinions and help much appreciated.

/Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I have one of these. It makes lots of dust.   :)

Scheppach-BD7500-Serit-Zimpara-Makinasi_

Yambo, thanks I looks identical to the Allwin, but with diff. badging. 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I had the sander from Micromark, and my biggest complaint was that the table for the disk sander would not stay square to the disk. I upgraded to the Byrnes sander and wish I had originally bought it - would have saved some money. Like all his tools it's very precise, which is very important at smaller scales.

Frank

3 important things to look for:

A big motor to resist the pressure so that the motor does not stop

A 90 degrees angle even when applying strength while sanding meaning a strong table  so that there is no distorsion

A disk sander will leave ¼ round  prints on the wood while a belt sander  which is used in the same direction as the wood grain  will leave no marks

I have the sander/beltsander from MicroMark and am satisfied with it. I've used it to build more than 25 Ho train turnouts.I use it primarily to grind down the nickel silver rails.I'm still on the original belt. The dust is minimal if you use the grinder with a vaccum cleaner. I have a cheap little shop vac set up with a switch that turns on the vac when you fire up the grinder. The vac runs for a few seconds after you turn off the grinder then shuts down automatically. I got the the fancy switch at Woodcraft. Bill in Idaho

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren