18th Century Longboat by Ghost029 - Model Shipways - 1:48 - First Build

1st build, starting small. Choose this kit because it is small and came with a starter set of tools. Frames are really tight. Sanded them, but I have already broke the keel pushing to hard. I glued the keel back together, and sanded the frame some more. Got it to fit. Dry fitting first then will glue. Guys I know nothing except what I read in build logs. Please offer advise.

IMG_8434.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

In the Shipyard: 18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways

Swift 1805 - AL

On the Drawing Board: La Recouvrance - Soclaine

Former USN MM1/SS

First of all, hello and welcome to MSW! Second, you have selected an excellent kit for beginners -- many have selected this as a first project, as you can see by clicking here. Lastly, I hope you will not mind that I have tagged your log as a first build; this serves a two-fold purpose by alerting our members to newbie builders who may need an extra dose of encouragement, and it also helps similar newcomers to the hobby to see what other first-time modelers are building.

Good luck on your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Welcome Ghost029!  this was also my first build, although i didnt know about MSW at the time so i didnt make a buildlog.  Chuck’s directions are really good which is great because a lot of shipmodel plans are sparse confusing text poorly translated from some other language.  mostly follow the supplied directions and you will be good.  I recommend looking up Chuck’s monograph on this site for Plank Bending as a supplement to the kit directions.

good luck!

Thank you both for the welcome. Chris by all means change the title. 

When I said I broke the keel, that was incorrect. It was the false keel. Continuing to work. Created the rabbit between the false keel and the keel. Attached the keel and started the frames. I am moving slowly on the frames. I want to make sure they are square. 

IMG_8439.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

Frames are done. They are not perfect, but I am pretty happy with them. I have sanded the frames to flair them. Next step is to start planking. Should I attach the transom now or after I plank. The directions say to attach prior to planking but to not flair it. I would think it would slide in after planking.

IMG_8440.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

A great kit but it is an advanced kit as you have seen from many previous build logs. Check out this log for reference. One of my favorites and it will help you a great deal.  
Steve

On 2/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, Tigersteve said:

A great kit but it is an advanced kit as you have seen from many previous build logs. Check out this log for reference. One of my favorites and it will help you a great deal.  
Steve

Yes I am finding that out reading the other logs.

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

Planking done on starboard side. 1st time planking and I am not happy with my work. I will be using filler and sanding a lot. I have one board about halfway down on starboard side that I might just take off and redo. Now on to the port side and let us find out how much I learned on the starboard side.

IMG_8454.jpg

IMG_8453.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

Hi Ghost029,

You need to taper the planks and properly shape and bend them before gluing to the hull. Prior to that you need to line off the hull. There are many resources on planking on this forum. You should check them out before you proceed. 

Don’t feel bad or be afraid to remove things and do things over. No one gets things perfect on the first attempt. 
Steve

Removing interior frames. Planking turned out better than I thought after filling and sanding. Great learning experience. Instructions state to now sand interior frames and install cap rail. I would think that I want to install floor planks and seats before the cap rail. I will go back through the directions again.

IMG_0001.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

Tigersteve, I did look at the planking tutorials. I am going to have to go though them several times to get them to make sense to me. Thank you for the heads up on them.

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

9 hours ago, Ghost029 said:

Removing interior frames. Planking turned out better than I thought after filling and sanding. Great learning experience. Instructions state to now sand interior frames and install cap rail. I would think that I want to install floor planks and seats before the cap rail. I will go back through the directions again.

I would agree and am surprised it would recommend that order, especially since the seats sit a bit under the cap. 

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

You’ll want to install the cap rail after you sand the frames because you’ll need the space inside the boat to work on and install the cap rail. Chuck’s instructions are pretty solid. Careful when sanding the frames. There’s a lot of it to do. It took me several sessions for this step. 
Steve

Rear platform installed. I really screwed this up. I did not get the templete right and ruined 2 attempts at the platform. Thank goodness I do not have the cap rail on yet. Hopefully I can save one of the bad rear platforms for the forward platform.

IMG_0017.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

Front deck and risers installed. I don't know how you guys do the deck, but the only way I seem to be able to do them is to do the templet at the gunnel and sand down until it fits. If I try to do the templet where I want the deck, I just screw it up. 

IMG_0021.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

• 2 weeks later...

Running into a problem. Finished the rudder, tiller and horse. Sanded main mast down and drilled sheaves. Working on the brass collars. I need either a drill press, or dremel stand. I also need a desk vise. I have just not be able to drill through the brass to attach the deadeye. Going to work on another ship while I get the tools. Swift 1805.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

13 hours ago, Ghost029 said:

I have just not be able to drill through the brass to attach the deadeye.

This does not sound right.   Can you post a picture of the materials or what the instructions show?   Dead eyes are stropped with round iron stock, or in our case blackened copper or softened brass wire.  Uncoated copper is soft and easy to use and can be blackened in situ with liver of sulfur.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Sorry not brass, it is copper. The hand drill keeps skating and I can not get it to bite. I have tried to punch it to give the drill a start. I don't have a vice, so I am holding in one hand against the table and using the other to try to drill. Got it to work on the wood.

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS

18 minutes ago, Ghost029 said:

I don't have a vice, so I am holding in one hand against the table

Make a 'V' block as shown, if the brass is too short put a bit of wood through it and clamp both ends.

IMGP0894.JPG.becce0f309c231032f52cfeba21b9af7.JPG

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

43 minutes ago, iMustBeCrazy said:

Make a 'V' block as shown, if the brass is too short put a bit of wood through it and clamp both ends.

IMGP0894.JPG.becce0f309c231032f52cfeba21b9af7.JPG

Thank you IMustBeCrazy. That I will do.

Edited by Ghost029
add reply

Swift 1805 - AL

Former USN MM1/SS