Hello from Ontario

Lastcore

Hi Everyone. 

I am new to this site, and to ship modelling in general. I have never built any models or anything like this, so it is quite the learning experience. 

My first ship was the buccaneer by Occre, which was a great learning experience. I completed this in about 6 months while juggling a pregnant wife. 

I made many mistakes, but those instructions were amazing for a first time. 

Now I am more than 50% done a Billings Boat Wasa. That was way more than I was prepared for, but I was able to make it through everything soo far. 

I’ve read a lot here about newbies starting boats that are way beyond their skills and this leading them to give up before making much progress. 

I am planning on creating a build log here with my Wasa, the pictures throughout the builds, and all of the mistakes I made and how I overcame each one. I am hoping that this will help inspire people to continue with their projects as mine is by no means perfect. :)  

I have spent almost 0 time watching videos on how to make these models, and spent almost 0 time reading the best processes. 

Part of the fun for me is stumbling through the instructions and the build to learn first hand the things I am doing well, and the many reasons to not make the many mistakes I have made. 

One day I hope to be as talented as some of the people on this site, but I am still in the learning process and fairly proud of my work so far. :)  

I also suspect I am an outlier in this demographic. 😛 I am only 30 and have a newborn to juggle so I can’t guarantee I will post fast. 

Thanks. 
Charles 

6948A368-F382-45D1-A579-AEF3C3452A3D.jpeg

8650E89F-8912-42F9-8188-022D39DC1952.jpeg

13CA46D2-522C-4FF5-BD13-5F5A0F61689D.jpeg

73D4881A-0C76-45AC-873B-F4AC1782979C.jpeg

Welcome aboard, Charles, from another Ontarian. Also, welcome to fatherhood! I found model-making times few and far between for the first ten years or so of my daughter's life. Perhaps you will do better. Check out Marine Modellers of Niagara on the club listings on MSW.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Welcome to the fray Charles

You are among 43,000+ new friends

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to MSW, Charles.  The Wasa is looking very good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm impressed by the state of your project, and note that rigging will be the 'other half' of the work.  I've been struggling with correcting the problems with my original 1:100 Billings (1960's vintage) ... not that I'm being overly critical as Billings has made many fine kits over the years, and has significantly improved them as new scholarship and technology (like laser cutting) have become available.  And the delay means that I have much better information to work with.

The plan is to depict it near completion but without sails (perhaps only 3 were set on that fateful 'voyage', and the rest were found still in the sail locker).  Not having sails will make it easier due to much of the 'running rigging' being omitted.  There will be shrouds, stays, halyards, lifts and braces ... and some of the blocks intended for running rigging will attached where they would be.  With this time period there were no jackstays, foot ropes or iron mounts for any of the yards (like clippers had) ... just parrels.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

4 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

I'm impressed by the state of your project, and note that rigging will be the 'other half' of the work.  I've been struggling with correcting the problems with my original 1:100 Billings (1960's vintage) ... not that I'm being overly critical as Billings has made many fine kits over the years, and has significantly improved them as new scholarship and technology (like laser cutting) have become available.  And the delay means that I have much better information to work with.

The plan is to depict it near completion but without sails (perhaps only 3 were set on that fateful 'voyage', and the rest were found still in the sail locker).  Not having sails will make it easier due to much of the 'running rigging' being omitted.  There will be shrouds, stays, halyards, lifts and braces ... and some of the blocks intended for running rigging will attached where they would be.  With this time period there were no jackstays, foot ropes or iron mounts for any of the yards (like clippers had) ... just parrels.

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the detail about the sails and the rigging. I am both looking forward and scared of what is to come. haha

Personally, I am aiming to add all the sails, and the rigging as she would have been assuming she made it past 15 minutes afloat! :P :)

I am aiming to re-create the build that is shown on the Billings Boat website, under the "more images" tab.

Not sure if I am supposed to be attaching external URLs here!

Thanks!

Lastcore

20 hours ago, Lastcore said:

Not sure if I am supposed to be attaching external URLs here!

Thanks!

Lastcore

Yes, you can attach URL's.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for confirming.

This the boat that I am using as a reference. :)

I understand the historical accuracy, but I personally like the contrast of the blue and red instead of just the red. Plus it is Swedish, so blue still feels fitting! 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPhydB-pHIxmto5pV8-r0zXM37Q38etO9so2OPhjg0BB0y1r8HXZPMZgrxKC_sIIw?key=T0tQYzFCUEJqaEZzSVBJWHZuc0RtclJ3MHVwRzVn

It can also be found under "additional images" in the link below.

https://www.billingboats.com/index.php/modelboats-footer/75/120/boats/the-expert/P-bb490-wasa

Personally I think Billings boat is a decent company, however I do think some minor improvements could be made in some of the materials and instructions, which would improve the kit dramatically! I also hate the supplied anchors, they are plastic and look cheap considering how fancy this boat is. :P I have been working on getting it nicely smoothed out and primed to try to reduce the look of the plastic.

Furthermore, the supplied dead eyes are all plastic, and a pain to paint. Plus they do reduce how accurate I can make the rigging, and they don't seem very solid, so I will have to be extra careful on adding the shrouds.

If all fails on that front, I'll likely order some wood ones to replace them. Would likely look better anyways.

Thanks!

Lastcore

Welcome aboard!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.