Question: How to embed youtube (or other) videos in forum post?

I tried various buttons and 'right-clicks' etc in my efforts to embed a couple of videos in a post but failed.

I know it can be done (at least I've seen it done on some threads here on the forum) so is there something I've missed?

There are several examples of embedded videos in posts 54 thru 58 in this thread > http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/page-4

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

I read over the code she used and it looks like all that Doris did was cut and paste the URL (addy) of the video into her post. 

The other possibility is goto Youtube and see if the "share" function gives you the correct URL. I'm at work and Youtube is blocked so I can't test it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.

I DID try both "embed" and "share" options on youtube but when I clicked to preview my post all that appeared was the url as it had appeared on youtube and it didn't appear that there would have been a "live" video inthe post.

. . . but perhaps it doesn't show as "live" until it's posted into the forum thread ???

Perhaps you could test it when you're home fromwork ?

In Oregon it's around 3.30 PM and you're working, right here it's around half past midnight, and I'm just going to bed.

Jim.

Darned if I can figure it out.. I'm missing something somewhere on how to do this.  I'll ping some experts.....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa551waOz5E

OK. I just copied and pasted here the link that appears in the upper window in Youtube. The film is not embedded in the post, but the links takes you directly to the YouTube movie.

And yes, you need to post the thread for the link to work

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I've done a bit 'googling' and am about to try something to see if it works.  (If not, I'll soon be back to edit this post ! )

Here comes the attempt:- (For this test I just selected a short sailing related video.)

Jim.

O.K. ~ just looked at my previous post, and to my eternal surprise, my attempt worked !!!

So, for anyone interested here's the webpage where I found the tip :-

http://www.virtualassistantforums.com/blogs/vaf-admin/54-how-embed-youtube-video-your-forum-post.html

Jim.

Hi Joe.

I've never tried to upload or link a video on my hard drive directly onto a forum.  I'm not sure if it can be done in the same way that can be done with still photos.

I've always uploaded my videos to youtube or photobucket, then linked or embedded them from there'

I see that the direct upload feature here on the forum limits each file size to 2Mb and any video of more than about 1 second would more than likely exceed that limit, so I can't imagine that it would be easy to do the direct video link to the forum.

I don't know if you have ever used youtube to host any of your videos but it is really easy to upload there, and in case you wouldn't want the whole world and his brother being able to view your stuff, you can opt to keep your videos restricted to only people who have the link. I believe you can make them even more private than that, but I've never used that option.

Jim.

I would like to add my two cents about posting youtube video links on MSW. Often I click on a submission with a title like “ Rudder straps in the 1700’s” or something like that, only to find that the post consists entirely of a youtube link with nothing else. I have a slow internet connection and I am NEVER going to click on a youtube link. So for me it feels a little bit like a bait and switch. I would NEVER say that there is no place for youtube links on MSW. In fact If I had a fast connection I would probably be lobbying for an entire sub category for online videos. but I do think that if your content consists entirely of a link to youtube, you should admit as much in the submissions title. Perhaps the title could be “youtube video: Rudder Straps in the 1700’s”.  In general I think submission titles on MSWneed more attention in that often they fall short of explaining the submission they represent in the way that a newspaper headline represents the story that follows.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Frankie,

Good point about titling posts.  We moderators try, but we don't catch everything.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks very much for the info and the Link to the video Jim - that model of Surprise is AWESOME :) .

Here's a Link to the Youtube page it's on - there are many more videos of R/C squareriggers that can be viewed from the page, including one of Surprise firing her guns .... that's a MUST WATCH :) .

HMS Surprise Radio Control Video

HMS Surprise firing her guns

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi