Danny Vadas' masting and rigging spread sheet

Has anyone recently tried to use this lately?  I had no issues in years past but recently I get a message that the program has a potentially dangerous macro and will not open.  I have no idea what that means, and I am worried the program has been compromised.  It would be a shame as it quickly provides the same data  based on James Lees proportions in The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War.  (The exception is the time period 1670-1710 as the ratios Danny used in the spread sheet are incorrect and should not be used.)  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have no problem opening it. I'm using Open Office 4.1.7. What are you using?

1 hour ago, BenD said:

What are you using?

Sorry Ben, but I have no idea what you mean.   All I know is that it says Microsoft is blocking due to macro.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I was asking what word processor are you using to open the spreadsheet. If you said Microsoft is blocking it I'm assuming you are using Microsoft Word. I have not been able to get it working on that program.

I've been using a free word processor called Open Office to open the spreadsheet. I'll add a download link.

https://www.openoffice.org/

Allan, I got this message ...

image.png.80848fd44d5cc9e07e371a178ffb3a58.png

... and downloaded the file. It worked fine (had to click 'enable editing' when prompted).

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank you very much Ben and Bruce!!!  VERY much appreciated.

Allan

Hi Allan, I think this is probably Microsoft trying to fix/patch some of their security issues by restricting some macro operations.  I remember some time back I had to load and keep using flash or the like to keep older macros active., but MS doesn't like that either.  I know I am having issues trying to use macros I created for use in MS Word.  I just opened a version of the spreadsheet using Excell (using the latest version of Excel in MS 360) that I had downloaded years ago and there was no issue.  I haven't tried opening from the Database yet.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I got a notice that Macros were blocked due to trust issues, but was able to enable them from the notice displayed above the spreadsheet.

You can also try this.

Go to File -> Options.  Select Trust Center.  Click on Trust Center Otions.

image.png.dc6e10d10b50400e3d76c4c0ecb74076.png

Select Macro Settings, then select which setting you wish.

As you can see I have Disable with notifications set.

image.png.4cb586154a9678b93fd1c872d5b5e8e6.png

This will give the "enable notification" You can also set trusted locations so macros should work without issues.

Hopfully this will help.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Thank you Pat and Bob.   I had been wondering if someone could have created a problem in the articles data base and that was why my system would not allow it to open.  I see that I can bypass this, but still wonder if there is not some problem in the program.   In the end there is always the complete version in Lees albeit much slower to use than Danny's spreadsheets. 

Thanks again everyone!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

21 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I remember some time back I had to load and keep using flash or the like to keep older macros active., but MS doesn't like that either. 

Just about every OS banned Flash as it was leaky and easily hacked.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just about every OS banned Flash as it was leaky and easily hacked.  

I think I will stick with Lees' and do it the long way with his set of ratios.   Would love to have the original spread sheets that Danny made and fix the early dates although the math is not so easy for that 1670-1710 period.  

Allan

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

I think I will stick with Lees' and do it the long way with his set of ratios.   Would love to have the original spread sheets that Danny made and fix the early dates although the math is not so easy for that 1670-1710 period.  

Allan

The originals would be tough to find if at all.  Perhaps just take the PDF that's the problem, convert it to a speadsheet and rework it?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Thank you!  IF I can come up with the formula can I send it to you to fix the program in the data base?  I don't need to do this just for me as I have a copy of Lees which I have used in the past for that span of years.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

11 hours ago, allanyed said:

Mark,

Thank you!  IF I can come up with the formula can I send it to you to fix the program in the data base?  I don't need to do this just for me as I have a copy of Lees which I have used in the past for that span of years.

Allan

I think that's something an admin would need to do, Allan.   Fingers crossed that you can fix it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

The formulae are really not too complex, BUT, there would need to be double the amount of entries available for ships built between 1670 and 1710.

Group 1

Ships with a beam more than 27 feet

(Length of the keel for computation X + Breadth Y+ Depth in the hold Z)/1.66 - (Y-27) 

Group 2 

Ships with a beam less than 27 feet

(Length of the keel for computation X + Breadth Y+ Depth in the hold Z)/1.66 + (27-Y))