I am thinking of using scored deck planking for wooden hatch covers on my present project.  Planks would be 6in wide or 1/16in at scale.  I have found some Model Shipways scored basswood with 3/32in planks that might work.  My question:  how thick is this decking? 

Roger

On 8/26/2023 at 5:43 PM, Roger Pellett said:

I am thinking of using scored deck planking for wooden hatch covers on my present project.  Planks would be 6in wide or 1/16in at scale.  I have found some Model Shipways scored basswood with 3/32in planks that might work.  My question:  how thick is this decking? 

Roger

My experience is roughly 1 to 1.5mm.  You'll want to back it if you plan on using it for full decking.  I use it often on my builds.  Saves loads of time.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I've been looking for a source of scored planking for a while ... now I know to look for it at Model Shipways.   THANKS !

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Thanks!

I was thinking of using it for the wooden hatch covers for my Benjamin Noble Lake Freighter Model.  The builders drawings specify 2in x 6in white pine planking for each hatch cover and there were 12 hatch covers per hatch.  At 1:96 scale each plank would scale 1/16in wide by about .025 in thick.  I could probably sneak by at 1/32in.  I have since decided on another approach.

Roger

18 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

I've been looking for a source of scored planking for a while ... now I know to look for it at Model Shipways.   THANKS !

I had won a model competition years ago and the grand price was a large selection of model wood products from Model Shipways.  I got sheets upon sheets of the scored decking....its fantastic stuff for all kinds of modeling.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I think R/R shops has what your looking for. I remember when living in Spokane one the shops had such for scratch build buildings. Don't remember the manufacturer.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Well Roger, for some more authentic-looking (because the grain varies from plank to plank) wooden model ship decking or board-by-board siding go to Micro-Mark.  Black glue is used to bond individual planks of basswood together side-by-side in sheets 3 inches wide x 22 inches long x 0.050 inch thick, perfectly simulating the look of board-by-board construction without the tedious, time-consuming hassle of doing it yourself.
    Planks widths are available in 1/16 inch, 3/32 inch, 1/8 inch, or 3/16 inch.  The price is around $25 per sheet.  Have a look here.

Capturedeckingplanks.JPG.c90d8c883a641e7a10e8bfdb678c9375.JPG

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

The store's location looks drivable from the Philly suburbs - maybe 2 1/2 hours.  If I accumulate a shopping list it may be worth while to go there.  The black-glued ship decking is likely done by 'sandwiching' sheets of basswood with a thin layer of dark bonding material between the layers - then pressing the stack while the glue cures.  The resulting slab (3" thick) is turned on its side and the decking sheets planed off (0.50" thick) like flitch-cut veneers.

There may be places here and there where there is a little glue penetration into the wood (depending on the peculiarities of how the grain ran in the component sheets), but the look at a distance seems great.  I'd want to go there and see the sheets first-hand before laying out $25 per sheet.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Roger, also check out Northeastern Scale Lumber. They produce a wide variety of scale lumber and scored sheets that simulate various planking and siding styles. Lots of people in model railroading use products like this.

Another option is Mt Albert Scale Lumber on the Fast Tracks webite, here at: https://handlaidtrack.com/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa&wpf_filter_cat_list_0=2902

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 minutes ago, OllieS said:

I wonder if for the scale you are using thick paper or card would be so much easier.

It has been t least a decade since I messed with it, but a 3D graphics render of a wood texture.   A flat rectangle would have a perfect map - no distortion from wrapping around a tube or sphere.  There should be excellent free textures or take your own photo of wood.   Print out the render - glue it to veneer or card stock - touch up with paint.   This as an alternative if you do not think that you can do your own de novo  wood texture just using artists oil pigments.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks everyone.  This has got me thinking about several different ideas.  Bottom line-  I have worked out an approach using equipment available in my shop.  I hope to post results soon on my Benjamin Noble build log.  She requires 72 hatch boards.

Roger

• 1 month later...