Masking tape for curves .

Tamiya makes masking tape for curves, in various widths.  I've seen it on their website and also on Amazon, maybe other places as well.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Back in the day (before power point and other graphic display aids) manual wall charts were done with a product called 'Chartpack', both for grids and also graphing lines.  'Don't know if any of that stuff is around today (probably not, and the sticky side like is gummy), but the top part was made of stretchable plastic that could go around curves, and came in a number of colors.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Chartpak graphic tape is still readily available. Good stuff, but not specificially designed for masking. https://www.staples.com/chartpak-graphic-chart-tape-glossy-black-1-16-x-648-bg6201/product_909815?cid=PS:MS:SBD:PLA:OS&msclkid=31dd847c9edb12ca8a61e08eaf6a5f95&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%23PLA%2F_(1)_BNG_(2)_US_(7)_GEN_(9)_Office Supplies|&utm_term=4581252648129840&utm_content=All Products&dclid=CMmJpfiJioEDFWXArQAdoK0E5A

I've found Tamiya a bit pricey and often wider than needed, which makes taping curved edges somewhat more difficult. My "go to" for masking fine lines is 3M (Scotch) Fine Line masking tape sold primarily for auto painting jobs. It comes in varying widths: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2".  Not cheap, either, but a roll will last practically forever for modeling purposes. Most auto body and fender supply shops have it on hand.  https://www.amazon.com/3M-06302-Fine-Line-Masking/dp/B00HSCMCL8/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=1337006711851222&hvadid=83563242241651&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=43893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83563282543041%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=2082_13504107&keywords=3m+fine+line+masking+tape&qid=1693594490&sr=8-10

There's also another brand similar to 3M's that looks the same and may be less costly, although I haven't tried it. It's called "Lime Line." https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3m+fine+line+masking+tape&adgrpid=1337006711851222&hvadid=83563242241651&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=43893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83563282543041%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=2082_13504107&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_1c1kh9zkry_e

I'll add the reminder that all masking tapes, and particularly the expensive fine line stuff, should be kept in a ziplock plastic bag at all times when not being used to prevent the adhesive from drying out. Also, tape rolls should never be laid down flat so that their sides can pick up dust and grit. If the side of the roll is contaminated with dirt, the edge of the tape will carry that dirt and grit to the work and you'll end up with ragged edges and dirt in your paint job. Always keep your tape in a zipped up plastic bag and don't lay it down anywhere except in the bag! :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

Here is a tip I picked up years ago to eliminate bleed through under the tape.

Suppose you have already painted one color (say black) and now you want to mask it off and paint another color (say white). If the white bleeds under the tape you will have a ragged edge between the black and white.

After applying the tape paint a light thin coat of black along the tape edge. If the paint bleeds it will be black on black, and it will seal any leaks. After the black dries paint over it with the white.

If you get a fine bead/ridge of dried paint where the edge of the tape was you can remove it by carefully and GENTLY scraping with a knife blade held perpendicular to the surface (scrape, not cut). Or you can sand the entire surface lightly with fine grit sandpaper and then spray a clear coat over it to get the desired finish (glossy, satin, flat).

• 1 month later...

Pinstriping tape from automotive stores or the internet works very well.  Further to Phil's post #7, if you are painting a stripe that will be bordering on bare wood, spray a clear coat once the tape is on to seal the edges.  It will prevent/minimize bleed through when you paint the final color just a Phil explains when using paint to seal the edges.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

With my modest experience with wooden hulls, Tamiya Kabuki tape or the yellow Tesa equivalent worked good. It adheres good enough on wood and has a certain flex for slight curves.
The white flexible Tamiya tape worked well for me on plastic models, but I never used it on wood and I can imagine, adhesion wouldn't be the best.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, allanyed said:

Pinstriping tape from automotive stores or the internet works very well.  Further to Phil's post #7, if you are painting a stripe that will be bordering on bare wood, spray a clear coat once the tape is on to seal the edges.  It will prevent/minimize bleed through when you paint the final color just a Phil explains when using paint to seal the edges.

Allan

When you mention using spray a clear coat to seal the edges, can we using shelac instead or if not can you be more specific please. Also can the clear coat be applied by a brush?

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

3 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

When you mention using spray a clear coat to seal the edges, can we using shelac instead or if not can you be more specific please. Also can the clear coat be applied by a brush?

You can use shellac, but I would not recommend it. You don't know how your paint is going to react to shellac. It is better to use a clear flat base from the same manufacturer as your paint. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel