Bismarck by drobinson02199 - Amati - Scale 1:200

Finished painting the hull.  The thin horizontal white patches you see are lighting.

Also installed rudder and screws.  The screws look the same color in this pic, but they are actually copper-colored.

Now my dilemma:  I have attached a picture from the manual showing the simplest of the three camouflage patterns.  My issue is that I really don't like the way this looks.  So after some deliberation, I'm going to skip the white coloring.  I really respect those of you that pay close attention to historical accuracy, but I'm going to skip the white designs.

This will be my last post until late February.  Going on a long winter trip.

Regards,

David

Painted Hull.jpg

Props & Rudder.jpg

Camoflauge.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

• 1 month later...

Back from my trip (and finally time zone readjusted), and I've gotten back to the Bismarck.

First step from where I left off was to drill the holes under the hull for eventual mounting on a nicer stand than the one they supply with the ship.

With that done, I applied the decking, which is thin printed wood sections.  The way I did it was to line them all up, sand as required to get everything lined up, and then tape the sections down, checking alignment until I had the whole thing taped.  Then I glued sections bow to stern, removing tape and lifting one side, gluing, and then doing the other side.

With that done, I varnished the deck.  I think varnishing it at this point is important because soon I need to paint two dark gray bands on it, and I want a smooth surface for masking.  The unvarnished surfaces are kind of rough wood.  Also, if there is any bleed under the mask, scraping it off will look much better if it's on top of varnish.

Regards,

David

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Stanchions (which will go on later) require about 200 tiny holes to be drilled around the edge of the deck.  The way my decking fit, there was very little free room beyond it, so for many of the stanchions I'm gong to have to notch a small slot just a bit into the decking to accommodate the stanchion base.

Regards,

David

PXL_20240306_103751018.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Tiny hatches assembled and mounted on the stern.  These are painted over in the pictures that follow.

Then areas painted in "German Gray".

Everything from here on is superstructure.

Regards,

David

Hatches.jpg

Deck Paint 1.jpg

Deck Paint 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Intermediate progress on the first structure.  In position but not glued to the deck.

Regards,

David

Sgructure 1.jpg

Sgructure 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Something I forgot to mention for any of you who might be using this build log as a reference for your own Bismarck build:

The base frame for the structure in the picture above is initially built in two sections -- front and rear.  Those are then joined by stringers on the sides of the beams that run fore and aft -- you can see the beam numbered 75 above, but the join is hidden now.  

You use the deck pattern to get the spacing of the fore and aft sections right before joining them with the stringers.  But the picture in the manual is confusing -- it didn't seem right to me when I looked at my model.  It was only after really close inspection and comparison (including using a magnifying glass on the picture) that I realized that the actual pattern I have is different -- slightly -- from the one pictured in the manual.  So I then used common sense to do the alignment.

Point of this is that you could make a really serious mistake if you just look at the picture and align the way it shows.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

This ship shows an incredible level of detail, achieved by using brass etched sections on the sides that will ultimately be spray painted gray.

This is the first level of the starboard side.  There is detail etched into the surface of the base plates, and then you add very tiny pieces on top to create additional raised detail.

Regards,

David

Detail1.jpg

Detail2.jpg

Detail3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

More work on the lower level of the bow structure.  The two gun turrets are dry-fitted for now.

Some of the detail pieces are fiendishly small.  I've lost a couple of the really tiny ones on my workbench, but you can't really tell.

Regards,

David

Structure 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Bow structure continues to take shape -- the new layers are dry-fitted as things need to be painted in stages.  The white patches on the top of the structure are putty.

Regards,

David

Structure.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

More stages of the bow superstructure.   I've added some closeups showing the new detail. The turrets have been removed here and "parked" on a piece of tape.

It might seem like I'm going fast, but I had held the previous stage for about 5 days waiting for some paint to arrive, and was working on this stage during that time.

Regards,

David

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hey, it's coming on a treat David. I've nearly finished mine...I'll look forward to seeing your progress it is a very good kit if a little challenging in places 😃

Cheers ian

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thanks, Ian.  I've found the most challenging part to be the tiny little brass and plastic pieces -- the smallest ones.  I've lost a couple that slipped out of my tweezers onto the floor, where I couldn't find them, but they are so small that I have said "to hell with it, they will never be noticed" and moved on.  😁

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Lol..that's exactly the right attitude 😜

I have a white tiled floor in my workshop so I don't loose anything if I drop it..but I still do!!!

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

This is the funnel, in the position it will eventually hold.  There are some very difficult assemblies in this, and I butchered one beyond fixing.  See if you can find it.  😁

Regards,

David

Funnel 1.jpg

Funnel 2.jpg

Funnel 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Cool little crane assembly.  Goes on the funnel later on.

Regards,

David

Crane.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

This is the starboard hangar in its position next to the funnel.  An identical one goes on the port side, and I will build that now.  Really nice detail here -- and of course all of this will be painted gray.

A tip:  there are notched slots in the roof to accept the brass pieces.  I used a craft knife to widen them so they would more easily accept the fittings.

Regards,

David

Hangar1.jpg

Hangar2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Put up my spray booth and have now started to paint and assemble the bow superstructure.  First and second levels shown here, in position and glued to the ship.

Regards,

David

Superstructure 1.jpg

Superstructure 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Next set of levels mounted.  I'm into painting completed structures, so this should go up fairly quickly, and I'll keep posting progress pics as I go.

Regards,

David

L34-1.jpg

L34-2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

And now the tower is up.

Regards,

David

Tower.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

And the funnel and hangars.

Now I have to build and paint a couple of brass fixtures, mount them, and then mount some turrets and this structure will be done.

Regards,

David

Funnel-1.jpg

Funnel-2.jpg

Funnel-3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've had a few pieces that needed painting, and since I put my spray booth away, I've been waiting for a good day to spray those pieces outside.  That was today, so I've now finished the bow structure.

New parts:  mast, ladder next to mast, small catwalk, some braces, two turrets.

I started the stern structure a few days ago, so that's underway.

Regards,

David

Mast1.jpg

Mast2.jpg

Mast3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've started on the stern superstructure.  Some nice raised detail here.

Regards,

David

Stern Struct Detail.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

More levels of the stern superstructure.  The leftmost turret is dry fitted at this point, and the upper levels are dry fitted awaiting painting.

Regards,

David

SternSup1.jpg

SternSup2.jpg

SternSup3.jpg

SternSup4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area