Bismarck by drobinson02199 - Amati - Scale 1:200

Time to tackle the Bismarck.  I'll start with a version of the traditional "what's in the box?"

You can see the finished model on the box as well as two very detailed instruction books with color pictures.  Example of detail page shown. 

The hull and deck are wood, but much of the superstructure is built from plastic parts -- I've shown a sample of how they are packaged (in individual clear plastic envelopes).  There probably isn't another material that would be feasible.  The box says that there are "2,266 photoetched parts" -- so this will take a while.  I don't know if that count includes the plastic parts and it's just sloppy box legend drafting, but there are a lot of plastic parts.

The usual things are in the kit:  wood strip, photo-etched brass, and laser-cut sheets.  Those, interestingly, appear to be made of plywood (I haven't pulled any out of the box yet).  That's a shift from other Amati models in the Victory series that I have built that used MDF for the hull and frames.

This will also be the longest model I have built at 132 cm.

Regards,

David

Box 1.jpg

Box 2.jpg

Box 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Very Nice!!

Looking forward to your build!!

My BM was a "Partwork" thingy, I guess a pre-prod of the real kit but same contents with the "Amati" badge on stuff and the option to go RC..

(Currently awaiting a 1400mm long acrylic case for mine..... Takes up allot of workbench real estate. 🙂)

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thomas -- I got it from Ages of Sail, which is where I buy many of my European kits.  I think they are the Amati distributor for the US.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Here's the first part of the keel and frame structure.  This will be the longest model in my collection -- what you see here weighs in at 48" long.

Hats off to Amati for the plywood laser cutting.  Very few connection points to cut, and they are tiny and easily cut.  The frames fit into slots with no sanding required -- in fact, there is enough play in them that I used a square while gluing to keep them aligned.  Manual called for wood glue, which would have taken forever given drying time.  I used BSI medium gel, which is my go-to glue for everything.

Regards,

David

Keel 1.jpg

Keel 2.jpg

Keel 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Here's the hull with a bunch of horizontal reinforcing structures added.  This eases my mind, because those frame ribs are really "twangy" and not very strong on their own, and a stray elbow would have broken one.

Regards,

David

Hull.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The deck is built to be removable, in anticipation of R/C requirements.  Since this will be a static model, at some point it will be glued down.

Regards,

David

Removable Deck 1.jpg

Removable Deck 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

A smaller bow deck is also removable.

Regards,

David

Bow 1.jpg

Bow 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

First planking started -- four planks laid.

Regards,

David

Plank 1.jpg

Plank 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Planking progressing.  I'm now at the point where I need to start shaping planks and using stealers.

The planking wraps around the hull at the bow and stern, and I've used my steamer to help smooth that.  This hull shape so far has not had much if any twisting of planks.

The last picture has sort of an optical illusion, so I added an arrowhead.  The face it's pointing to is vertical and faces aft toward the stern.  But if you look for a bit it will "flip."

Regards,

David

Planking 1.jpg

Planking 2.jpg

Planking 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

First planking done.  These are pictures of the rough, unsanded hull.  There is a plastic piece that fits into the hull as shown.

Regards,

David

FP1.jpg

FP2.jpg

FP3.jpg

FP4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

First planking now sanded and varnished.

Regards,

David

Sanded First Planking.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Decks now have cladding.  Pictures show the removable decks installed and also removed.

Later on, pre-formed deck sections with fine deck planking already "printed" on will be applied.

Regards,

David

Decks1.jpg

Decks2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The removable decks are now permanently glued down, and I'm beginning to close the hull in the unplanked spaces.

Here's the bow section closed.  Next is a similar section at the stern.  Then the center of the ship.

Regards,

David

Hull Closing Bow.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The hull is closed completely, and some of the resin pieces are now mounted on the bow and stern.

Takes a lot of sanding and fitting to get the resin pieces right.

Regards,

David

Closed Hull 1.jpg

Closed Hull 2.jpg

Closed Hull 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The model uses brass bulwarks at the bow and stern -- I think probably to define the portholes cleanly.

There's also a resin piece added in these pics on the lower stern.

Next step is second planking.

Regards,

David

Brass Bulwarks 1.jpg

Brass Bulwarks 2.jpg

Brass Bulwarks 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Now in the middle of second planking.

As the hull curves from side to bottom, there is a piece that needs to be installed.  It comes off the laser sheet flat, and has to adapt to the curve of the hull.  I used my steamer, and a bunch of CA glue and accelerator.  The wider side pieces are fairly easy to shape -- but the narrower center is a bear.

Regards,

David

Hull Piece 1.jpg

Hull Piece 2.jpg

Hull Piece 3.jpg

Hull Piece 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

It looks like you managed quite well. Good work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

This is a long, tough build - and I can see why some start with a plastic kit and order PE sets to improve the result.  My hat is off to your efforts.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 3 weeks later...

Second planking done; sealed with a coat of varnish, then putty applied.  I took this against a gray background so you can see the putty.

Now a first coat of paint, and we'll see where the imperfections really are.  I'm going to brush coat this -- it's too big for my spray booth, and it's too cold outside spray it in the garage.

Regards,

David

Hull.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Posted (edited)

What you see here represents about 5 coats of paint, and a bunch of follow-up puttying and sanding.  I have a few comments about this hull structure:

• From a distance (full hull picture) it doesn't look too bad, especially in the lighting I'll have it shelved on (I tested that).  You'll note that I didn't finish the bottom as that's going to be red-brown below the waterline.

• But up close, the brass plates at bow and stern are troublesome.  Try as I might (and we have to acknowledge the limits of my woodworking skills) I couldn't get them to "disappear".  Again, from a distance they don't look too bad.  But if I had it to do all over again, I'd be tempted to skip the brass plates and second plank right over where they are, to give a uniform look, and then use the brass plates as templates to drill the portholes.

• I think I'll give bow and stern one more coat of paint, as that seems to help them "disappear".

Regards,

David

Gray 1.jpg

Gray 2.jpg

Gray 3.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Posted (edited)

Hi David,

Have you considered Automotive Spray Putty?

Cheap, sands really easily and gives an "Eggshell" smooth finish.

I used on my BM and other ships....

(Give it a go.... 🙂)

Cheers.... HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hof:

That's an interesting idea, which I will save for my next model.  I have moved on from trying to further smooth this out since, as I noted, it looks fairly smooth from normal viewing distance.

Thanks for the tip!

Best regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

These brass pieces go into cutouts previously installed in the hull.  They are meant to represent vents, I think.

They will be painted over with the red-brown that's used on the lower part of the hull.

Regards,

David

PXL_20240107_231949443.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I'm applying the ladders to the external hull at the stern.  The way Amati has designed this is that you do it rung by rung, into pre-drilled holes in the brass plate at the stern.

The issue is that the rungs are fiendishly small.  So they are very difficult to grip with tweezers, and of course, they pop out of the tweezers.  If that happens, they are almost impossible to find on the floor or even on the workbench.  As part of my learning curve I've now put a white paper towel under the stern area, and if they pop out onto that you can see them.

But I've lost 6 already, and so I'm down to 2 spares to cover the remaining ladders.

What you see is the two ladders I've done on one side.  As you can also see, there are holes for two more on this side for a total of four on a side.  Counting what I have left,  if I don't lose anything else, I could make it with two spares left.  But not confident in that.  So I'm going to flip the model and do these two ladders on the other side.  That will leave four to go.  I'll do two (one on each side), and then assess my technique and spares supply to see if I can do the last one.

One thing that helps is to drill out the holes.  Then put in the rung without glue, then drop on some glue.  Slow going as you have to wait for the glue to dry, or use accelerator.

So now I'll attack the same two ladders on the other side and see if I've learned anything, and I'll report about that.

Regards,

David

Ladder 1.jpg

Ladder 2.jpg

Ladder 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Over to the other side and up the learning curve.  On this side I did two things:  (i) Drilled out the holes in advance, and (ii) Used my super bright LED headlamp so I could see the holes clearly as I was installing the rungs.

Worked better.  The first picture reflects all of the skipping of the drill bit on the metal surface.  The second one, now painted, shows the "glue globs" between the rungs.  So I took a needle file to it and cleaned it up (third picture) as best I could.  As they say, "It is what it is."

I only have enough rungs left to do three ladders on each side.  My loss rate decreased but was still greater than zero.  So now I'll go back to the other side and add the third ladder, and paint it.

There are also some very small eyebolts and keybolts that have been added.  Not sure if you can see them or not.

Regards,

David

Ladfin 1.jpg

Ladfin 2.jpg

Ladfin 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

So I flipped the model over and did the last ladder -- the one in the center.  Tried a new approach, which is to spread out some glue and dip the ladder rung points in it and then insert, and then you can see the difference.  I wish I had tried this earlier.

So with this I'm now ready to paint the lower hull red-brown.

Regards,

David

Lastlad 1.jpg

Lastlad 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area