USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 by patrickmil - I Love Kit - 1/200 - PLASTIC

58 minutes ago, schooner said:

Great painting and decal work!!

Thank you very much for the compliment! Your builds are nothing short of extraordinary, especially due to the scales involved.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Very impressed with your work to date.  I have ruined quite a few Trumpeter decals when applying them to aircraft carrier decks.  Never tried cutting them up.  I have this model on my list of to-do's.  Looking forward to following your build.

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

17 hours ago, rcmdrvr said:

Very impressed with your work to date.  I have ruined quite a few Trumpeter decals when applying them to aircraft carrier decks.  Never tried cutting them up.  I have this model on my list of to-do's.  Looking forward to following your build.

Thank you very much! I'm going to start looking, but if I don't find one, I'm going to start one; Trumpeter Decals Survivors Club. I'll let ya know how that pans out. 🤣😆🤣😆

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I appreciate all of the likes and comments; they really provide encouragement when this project throws its curve balls at me. I worked through steps 4-12 in the instructions. These steps have you have add many tiny little deck details. These comprise 200+ tiny little parts and I decided to conquer all of those steps in one large "MEGA-STEP"  🤪. I prepared them by separating them from their sprues, cleaning them up as best I could, and then sticking them in groups to paint stirring sticks with tape sticky-side up. Once primed and painted, I was able to detail paint anything needing it and then they all got stuck on the hull and deck. While it's very far from perfect, I'm happy with my results and it passes muster with a one foot viewing distance.

image.thumb.jpeg.10e8f5305b4944948f00e1ad52be1470.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4fd3cbb53677173c783411b01b760ffa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66d951d1a00d11be557b16e2cdf5a80b.jpeg

Ugh! The macro lens is brutal. I couldn't see that seam line on the Harpoon launcher until the below picture. Thankfully, after worrying about it for several hours, I figured that it should not be easily visible if at all since that side will be facing the funnel structure in pretty close quarters.

image.thumb.jpeg.d10df23b5f5585e7e7b9b5a6f2527502.jpeg

Thanks for looking in!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

31 minutes ago, rcmdrvr said:

Question, do you think you could have cut the hull to make a waterline model?

The hull is pretty thick, but cutting it for a waterline model is definitely doable with a Dremel or Proxxon, or a lot of manual elbow grease.

Edit: to add to the above, this is one 1/200 scale ship where I think waterline would be cool since the hull isn't as large as a bathtub. B)

Edited by patrickmil
Adding add'l text

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

8 hours ago, rcmdrvr said:

Thanks for the info.  I have ordered the kit and will attempt a waterline presentation.

I look forward to seeing your build log!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

18 hours ago, rcmdrvr said:

What paint/colors are you using.

I strayed completely off the kit's recommendations. In fact, I feel like I've strayed off of what most recommendations were. For the vertical surfaces and most of the deck details, I have been using XF-12 (J.N. Grey) over a darker grey to help give some depth. For the decks, the non-skid is painted in XF-53 (Neutral Grey) and the slick-deck is painted in XF-24 (Dark Grey). Some of the details are in white and some are in red, as well. I went with these colors after looking for some time at online resources and these colors looked closest for me and how I wished to represent the subject.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the looks and likes. It's been a bit since I've posted on this project. I've been pouring a lot of efforts into the main superstructure on this ship. Something I've learned since last time; this kit is actually geared more for a much more recent time period than I had originally thought. Comparisons between the kit and online pictures make this much more clear to me now. Here are some pictures of my progress. I'm still needing to paint and decal much of this before I permanently stick it down to the deck and hull.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b18ef95de4ce3a88d30aae215711e8b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.96f1021de82ff9564cb912caa7836fbf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7c1a324d6ae6bd3de1b0f889fe6e310.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0271657c9d7961fe4e916ea7005fe81.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b6889528cc1e2e83ad9ce69f5075a9ff.jpeg

I hope you all enjoy and thanks for following!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hi all!

Since it's only once every four years, figured I might as well post an update on February 29th. Nothing really needs discussed that the images can't show off themselves.

image.thumb.jpeg.12c3051e363d96b7fc63076a59f8d343.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a9c491a0b2291402c08284f312ec520c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a2f34977d1c43a1b0ebdb4f415f5b470.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3acac486f3d896fa6ad27b1403243d9.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 2:47 PM, Haliburton said:

Nice clean work!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, mikegr said:

For future builders there are some nice upgrades coming up

Apparently there are quite a few upgrades coming out for this kit now. When it's all said and done, I'm willing to bet the cost of all of the upgrades will far exceed the cost of the kit. That said, the upgrades appear to be very detailed. 

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

2 hours ago, patrickmil said:

Thank you!

Apparently there are quite a few upgrades coming out for this kit now. When it's all said and done, I'm willing to bet the cost of all of the upgrades will far exceed the cost of the kit. That said, the upgrades appear to be very detailed. 

Some modelers report 300$ on upgrade parts for a 50$ kit.

Though I do not count my spendings, I cannot cope with that

I've been seeing a lot of pictures for this really big set and other smaller sets from HS Models. The detail looks exquisite but some of it also seems a bit egregious. This is only an assumption, but looking at the pictures, the dark blue details would be resin? And if that really is the case, some of the molded on detail on the bulkheads, such as little thin wires and other things, might be a touch too much to sand off and replace in resin. Looks like they would also have you remove the VLS systems fore and aft. At some point, they might just look at issuing an entire kit, LOL. The extra detail will be lovely, but some of this might be a little over the top, IMHO.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thankfully that hull plating is not present on the plastic kit hull. I wonder if it's just an artifact from their CAD modeling.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne