Lowell Grand Banks Dory by CAlanR - Model Shipways - 1:24

Looks like you're making great progress!

Off to a good start!  Following along on this build.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

I have the molds put together. Reading "The Dory Book" I found it interesting the early frames were not put together with gussets. One thing not described in the instructions but laid out in the details of "The Dory Book" is the removal of material from the frame at the angled joints to allow water to flow through. I plan to add these in after the glue sets up.  

20231212_171732.jpg

The evolution and design details of small boats shows a lot of opportunity to model even small boats more accurately. I have been leaning towards the smaller craft as I build my skill sets and research reading. 

If I recall, Howard Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft addressed a section on dories. (My library is packed and in temporary storage, so I can't verify that fact.) He discusses both versions of boats with and without sails.  A lot of small craft was 'customized' for specific roles and locales.

I find what you describe on the dory very interesting info on this construction. I'll have to take another read through my copy.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

12 minutes ago, robert952 said:

The evolution and design details of small boats shows a lot of opportunity to model even small boats more accurately. I have been leaning towards the smaller craft as I build my skill sets and research reading. 

If I recall, Howard Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft addressed a section on dories. (My library is packed and in temporary storage, so I can't verify that fact.) He discusses both versions of boats with and without sails.  A lot of small craft was 'customized' for specific roles and locales.

I find what you describe on the dory very interesting info on this construction. I'll have to take another read through my copy.  

I'm finding it very interesting to learn about these crafts. The second half of the book is filled with plans for many different dories with many different applications. I'm approaching this model with the book in hand. Build the model, read the corresponding construction steps. So far the build process mimics the construction process pretty closely, and I and that fascinating. 

32 minutes ago, CAlanR said:

One thing not described in the instructions but laid out in the details of "The Dory Book" is the removal of material from the frame at the angled joints to allow water to flow through. I plan to add these in after the glue sets up.

They will be tiny, what's 1/24 of say 3/4 of an inch?

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

58 minutes ago, CAlanR said:

I have the molds put together. Reading "The Dory Book" I found it interesting the early frames were not put together with gussets. One thing not described in the instructions but laid out in the details of "The Dory Book" is the removal of material from the frame at the angled joints to allow water to flow through. I plan to add these in after the glue sets up.  

20231212_171732.jpg

Very cool to see research informing your build! That said, I was under the impression that the corners of the frames were already removed to represent this detail. They're slightly angled where the garboard would meet the bottom, which forms a small space in the corners. But maybe there's a difference in what The Dory Book shows?

9 minutes ago, JacquesCousteau said:

Very cool to see research informing your build! That said, I was under the impression that the corners of the frames were already removed to represent this detail. They're slightly angled where the garboard would meet the bottom, which forms a small space in the corners. But maybe there's a difference in what The Dory Book shows?

That's what I found too. When I test fitted the bottom to the frame  saw that there was space for the water, so I left it alone. 

I have everything beveled (I hope) and the garboard planks soaked and fitted to the frames and bottom. Being my first project I'm finding this to be a little nerve racking as I don't know what to expect, but I'm taking faith in the instructions. 

It is fun reading along in "The Dory Book" and reading about the use of spilling blocks and the geometry that goes into creating the garboard planks. 

20231213_084416.jpg

I was worried about the bevels as well. Especially because the planks are so thin, it is hard to make it look like the instructions. It really isn’t as big of an issue as it would seem. When you place the next strakes, if they don’t seem to lay right, you can fine tune the bevel

- Eric

In the shipyard: OcCre Palamos

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smack 

Drafting:  Cala Esmeralda, La Belle Poule schooner

4 minutes ago, SiriusVoyager said:

I was worried about the bevels as well. Especially because the planks are so thin, it is hard to make it look like the instructions. It really isn’t as big of an issue as it would seem. When you place the next strakes, if they don’t seem to lay right, you can fine tune the bevel

Good to know, thank you.