Block Tumbler Help

Go to solution Solved by Chuck,

Anyone have any tips on a block tumbler? I bought the block buster from Model Expo and tested it on some junk blocks, but when I put a couple of Chuck’s internally stropped blocks in, it ripped them to shreds. I tried a bunch of different angles and techniques, but it started to destroy the paddles too. blocks get jammed between the paddles and the sides and either the block or the paddle breaks. What on earth and I doing wrong? 
IMG_4763.thumb.jpeg.89eff050f2c47b9ef216d71b7efd144f.jpeg

• Solution

Probably too coarse(I use 320 grit)....but more than anything you are not gluing up those layers securely with enough glue...and or not waiting long enough for the layers to completely dry.  Dont be afraid to use enough glue.   In my case usually CA.   A drop on each area needed to be secured.  And I tumble at the highest speed in my tumbler...3000 RPM.  Note how my tumbler is home made and very simple.  No wood flapper and instead just a few sheets of 320 grit which are very flexible yet stiff enough to do the job.

the center shaft is also simple…a wooden stick (cherry) with a slit in it to accept the sandpaper.  Like a tuning fork of sorts with some cross strips in the center to prevent splitting.  

This thing gets a ton of use and does the trick beautifully without any broken bits afterwards.

IMG_1256.jpeg

intstr2.jpg

doubleblockskits.jpg

Thank you both! The support on this forum is incredible, when even the guy who makes the blocks is there to help! 

I’m going to try and modify it to get rid of the paddles like Chuck’s. Even when I threw in normal blocks it jammed them against the sides and chipped the paddles.

Sir, you’ve got another block order coming tonight. Let’s try this again!

Us lurkers like this kind of thread, too.  Thanks for posting. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Chuck,

What did you use as a container?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I made a simple device to round the edges of blocks. It worked fine on Chuck's blocks:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=981060

Tumbler2.jpg.d80632e840c9650a880c5e1c8ce7b0a4.jpg.6c84c4ba48b9c449551e67251d6df933.jpg

I used SIG SIG-Bond aliphatic resin model airplane glue and was careful to get glue on every mating surface. I let them set over night and then tumbled them. For times and results see the link.

Edited by Dr PR

7 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

What did you use as a container?

I bought a case of metal cans with a screw top.  It cost me $15.  They are the size of a can of peanuts give or take. 

Folks use them to make candles or to store candy and other stuff.  Got them on Etsy.  I thought I would need many and I would wreck them after a while but this is still the first one after about 6 years.

Chuck

Very nice. You used a lot finer grit than I did (80 grit) and got the same results. So I looks like it doesn't matter much what type of sandpaper you use. How long did you tumble them?

Edited by Dr PR

Mine is made of a piece of poly pipe with 2 end caps. It has a four bladed sandpaper impeller. Fitted with a motor that is hooked up to a variable speed switch box. 

IMG_0065.jpeg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

16 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Very nice. You used a lot finer grit than I did (100 grit) and got the same results. So I looks like it doesn't matter much what type of sandpaper you use. How long did you tumble them?

And at what speed?  

Rock tumblers run about 30 RPM. It would seem that using a drill you'd get a lot higher speed.   (I like the small speed control motor idea @hornet uses.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

With my cobbled together tumbler I just ran the drill at "medium" speed - whatever that is. It is a hand drill with a variable speed "trigger" and a set screw to set the speed. I can lock it on so I don't have to sit there pulling the trigger. I let it run for 8 to 12 minutes (longer for larger blocks).