OUTSTANDING Mini Drill

Looks like the thingy that was given to me by my wife with good intentions, but I found the speed too high for most practical purposes. Mine has three speed settings, but it starts from the highest and then steps down.

With all battery-operated equipment it has the disadvantage that one cannot start and stop it free-hand, i.e. with a foot-switch ...

Do the inserts have the usual 2.34 mm diameter shaft?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hi Bill,

I have this too and really like it.  I bought the one that included the little drill press widget, but I find that to be nearly useless.  I would not recommend the extra $$ on that one.   I find that the speed is relatively low and useful, though of course I'm comparing to the only other hand drill I've had which is a Dremel, that's way too fast.

Do you find that you have a tiny little wobble at the bit end?  I have to assume it's in the collet and wonder if I might need to replace that.

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Posted (edited)

I checked on Amazon.   AM Arrowmax  offers a small spectrum  of variations,  none of which intersect with my needs. Mostly it is mutually exclusive for the 50-80 wire gauge drill bit function.  Speeds and tool attachment are discordant. The models with a chuck that allows infinite diameter bits do not have the speeds that I require.  The ones with the speed have a fixed size insert.  There is even one with 10,000 to 30,000 RPM if burning a hole instead of drilling one is an aim.

The drill bit sets with a fixed size base are usually carbide - not HSS.  Most of what we do involves the possibility of "Parkinson-like" twitches.  HSS has flex, carbide does not.

Reading the reviews - red flags - lots of red flags - the quality of the materials and the gauges of the wires - I fear planned obsolescence and short term obsolescence at that.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I have one of these and find it much more useful than a dremel for drilling small holes for eyebolts etc. The slower speed compared to the usual rotary tools (500rpm versus 5000+ rpm) and the small size of the unit allows for more accuracy I think. The drill press is also useful on occasion depending upon what you need to do - I seem to be terrible at drilling straight by hand....

It is basically a motorised pin vise, and not a cheap one at that, but still useful for me.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, why not using an archimedian mini drill? My Dremel is not always the best solution, even with the Workstation because it is too fast even with 5,000 rpm and unfortunately there is no reduction gearbox available to lower the rpm below 5,000 rpm. Then I use an archimedian mini drill, I have issues with a standard manual mini drill to turn it all the times, which I jst push down all the times very gentle...

image.jpeg.6c716d6751abce0cc45c28d964cc7eb2.jpeg

Works for me very well but I have to admit, when possible I use the Dremel ^^

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Just wondering, why not using an archimedian mini drill?

For me, that would be a non starter as it lacks the control necessary for much of the work we do on model ships. To use it one handed relies on pressure to create a screwing effect. If you use it 2 handed the workpiece needs to be fixed. 

Unless I have the piece fixed in a mill/drill machine then I always use one of these; Designed for one handed use, pressure easily controlled on start and break through. The blue one is my favourite as it has a mini chuck and the bearing system works well.

IMG_5904.thumb.jpeg.741f8b1ff2974227da5cb6b157191194.jpeg

Edited by Toolmaker

Years ago I bought one of these Dremel stylus type tools just for drilling small holes.

I was so pleased with the tool that when it broke I went to eBay and found another one.

Dremel had discontinued the manufacture of this tool.

I have contacted Dremel concerning the ship model usefulness of this tool in hopes they bring it back.

The speed was adjustable and would turn very low.

I’ve broken very few drills in it.

I drill a fairly large amount of holes during repair work (most of my model work is repairing sailing ships)

And the tool is small enough to get into the models rigging and do its job.

The handle fits your hand perfectly.

The drill doesn’t wobble at all.

If this second one breaks I will indeed buy another one.

IMG_2151.png

That's a bit of thread drift now, but for really delicate work I use a watchmakers archimedean drill that requires both hands, as it does not have a return spring. I can precisely control the pressure needed/permissible (with tiny drills). Of course, the workpiece has to be fixed (some 'cello-type' suffices often), but this is good practice anyway. Mine can clamp drills down to 0.1 mm diameter.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

30 minutes ago, Toolmaker said:

For me, that would be a non starter as it lacks the control necessary for much of the work we do on model ships. To use it one handed relies on pressure to create a screwing effect. If you use it 2 handed the workpiece needs to be fixed. 

I never had issues with that and the ones you are using, I know those, have two of those myself but with my arthitis I can´t rally twist the wrist properly to use them and my hands het shaky very quick. I have no issues to fix the part I want to drill in. If it really needs to be accurate I use the Dremel Workstation or a benchtop drill press from Makita (20 yrs old) which works fine with the matching Makita corded drill (30 yrs old) which I can adjust from 15 - 2,200 rpm. They don´t build drills like that anymore nowadays lol but it still works, changed already two times the brushes in it.

My problem is really the hand and wrist, doesn´t work anymire like 30 yrs ago :(

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a