Need help with HMS Beagle bowsprit

Go to solution Solved by brunnels,

Need help....have followed videos ,which are of great help.  Along with the instructions provided.  Can't find anything about how to actually install the bowsprit. Have made the bowsprit but trying to attach it to the ship. 

Thanks in advance! For any help. 

• The title was changed to Question about HMS Beagle bowsprit

Need help....have followed videos ,which are of great help.  Along with the instructions provided.  Can't find anything about how to actually install the bowsprit. Have made the bowsprit but trying to attach it to the ship. 

Did you drill the hole for the bowsprit.  You will need to drill through the planking.  I attached a couple pics from the instruction where you can see the hole.  Not great pics of this in the instructions.  If I remember, there is a gap between two filler pieces on either side of the bulkhead former that you will drill into.  

IMG_4220.thumb.jpeg.9caf00f33dfeeb156fe40578c92cb8a8.jpeg

IMG_4219.thumb.jpeg.d6e2415d4c953f83b7fcbcc0a9a18f4a.jpeg

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

54 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I edited and moved your question to an area that will hopefully get you the response you're looking for. Good luck!

Have now spliced your two topics together and moved them again. Please don't post questions about specific kits to the build logs area, unless they're part of an actual build log.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• The title was changed to Need help with HMS Beagle bowsprit
  • Solution
18 hours ago, JFMJr said:

I've just started rigging my Beagle, and I have found Occre's instructions from Bowsprit installation (in which there were no instructions) to end of rigging to be pretty much useless to the point I probably won't buy another Occre kit.  Even the guy making the model for their official videos is doing things differently from the parts I can make out in the instructions, and John Aliprantis who has a youtube Beagle series is doing things in another way.  

For the bowsprit, I found the general location the Bowsprit hole should be located and started to dig around with my hobby knife until I found the slot that is intended for the bowsprit, I then made a small hole and slowly opened it up with a round file and sandpaper until it fit the dowel pretty snuggly.   

Here is a pic of my bowsprit inserted so you can get a general idea of where it needs to be installed. 

Capture.PNG.9977fbefe2dbc811dfe509c7a73c441d.PNG

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

Awesome.  Will be attempting it this evening! Have followed John Aliprantis videos.  Had missed the beginning of video 33 where he does show the location.

Agree on the pitiful instructions, it's my first build. Are other models instructions any better?

A lot of the challenge with this build is figuring out how? 

Again thanks for the help. 

1 hour ago, JFMJr said:

Awesome.  Will be attempting it this evening! Have followed John Aliprantis videos.  Had missed the beginning of video 33 where he does show the location.

Agree on the pitiful instructions, it's my first build. Are other models instructions any better?

A lot of the challenge with this build is figuring out how? 

Again thanks for the help. 

This is also my first kit, so I don't have experience building with others yet, but I do have 3 other kits for future builds I have recently purchased from Vanguard, Amati/Victory, and Model Shipways and just thumbing through the instructions all are leaps and bounds better than my Beagles instructions.  I have even pulled out the instructions of those other kits to help me better understand some of the rigging parts because the Occre rigging plans are so awful.  Honestly I didn't feel the Beagles instructions were that bad until you start to get towards the masts and rigging, It feels like they just rushed through the end of the instructions because they were short on time, got tired of the project, or they got another employee to finish them or something.  I don't mind having to study plans and figure stuff out, but there are multiple parts (bowsprit installation, undersides of the mast tops, rigging eyebolts on the outer hull) that aren't even shown in the instructions, and their video series isn't always helpful either as they skip a lot of stuff in those as well.

Sorry for the rant, the Occre instructions have been getting under my skin for the last couple weeks haha. 

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

With a plan of the bowsprit, it is just a matter of figuring out how to match.

Wooden kit plans are obligated to show WHAT should be done.  If they do not, that kit is flawed.

Explicit instructions for every step are the need for a beginner kit.  The more sophisticated kits do not need them so much.  The procedures and skills are variations of what has already been learned.  At least this is my take on the situation.  

The OcCre site lists HMS Beagle as being "medium difficulty".  A significant degree of prior experience is expected.   The instructions should not be expected to include what should a part of a builder's skill set going in.  If jumping ahead rather than paying the dues has not worked out,  storing the advanced kit and going to a beginner kit series should fix the situation.

For Beagle's bowsprit -   Here is the interpretation of the structure done by Karl Heinz Marquardt :

Beaglebowsprit1.jpg.76e2a35b3576fc4a2cf718e4a2a16c62.jpgBeaglebowsprit2.thumb.jpg.ecd4929016d0b957aae420997fd0e73e.jpg

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

12 hours ago, Jaager said:

Wooden kit plans are obligated to show WHAT should be done.  If they do not, that kit is flawed.

Which is exactly the situation as I said earlier, the kit doesn't show WHAT should be done in multiple points of the instructions. 

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

17 hours ago, brunnels said:

This is also my first kit, so I don't have experience building with others yet, but I do have 3 other kits for future builds I have recently purchased from Vanguard, Amati/Victory, and Model Shipways and just thumbing through the instructions all are leaps and bounds better than my Beagles instructions.  I have even pulled out the instructions of those other kits to help me better understand some of the rigging parts because the Occre rigging plans are so awful.  Honestly I didn't feel the Beagles instructions were that bad until you start to get towards the masts and rigging, It feels like they just rushed through the end of the instructions because they were short on time, got tired of the project, or they got another employee to finish them or something.  I don't mind having to study plans and figure stuff out, but there are multiple parts (bowsprit installation, undersides of the mast tops, rigging eyebolts on the outer hull) that aren't even shown in the instructions, and their video series isn't always helpful either as they skip a lot of stuff in those as well.

Sorry for the rant, the Occre instructions have been getting under my skin for the last couple weeks haha. 

I had much the same experiance with my Beagle. The instructions and videos are ok up to the masting and rigging.

Current build: HMS Sphinx 1:64 (Vanguard Models)

Finished: HMS Beagle 1:60 (Occre)

What’s great about MSW is we have a lot of logs and experienced builders here to help you with these ‘flawed’ kits.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

In some older kits the instructions were:

"Build the hull, add the masts and put on the sails and rigging."

On 4/15/2024 at 7:38 PM, RossR said:

Did you drill the hole for the bowsprit.  You will need to drill through the planking.  I attached a couple pics from the instruction where you can see the hole.  Not great pics of this in the instructions.  If I remember, there is a gap between two filler pieces on either side of the bulkhead former that you will drill into.  

IMG_4220.thumb.jpeg.9caf00f33dfeeb156fe40578c92cb8a8.jpeg

IMG_4219.thumb.jpeg.d6e2415d4c953f83b7fcbcc0a9a18f4a.jpeg

Mission accomplished! Thanks