Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Searching for something I thought was pretty straightforward, I am after a Color Comparison chat, (Palate?), for woods used in Model Ship building.

I cannot for the life of me find anything in the Database and I don't want to spend hours searching through thousands of posts.

Specifically, the two timbers that interest me the most at this stage are:

• Tanganika
  • Maple

I have never worked with these woods and am in need for an accurate identification.

This is for the Mamoli Flying Cloud (There is a color key on the box-top, but this is not clear enough.)

The uses slated for these are:

• Tanganika - Deck Planking (0.5 X 3.0mm)
  • Maple - Inner Bulwarks (0.5 X 3.0mm)

I can take an educated guess that the larger bundle is for the Deck Planking, but I would like to be 100% sure.

If anyone has this color Chart/information at thier fingertips and could perhaps direct me to an appropriate website or similar, I would be very grateful.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, that color chart on the box is as good as it gets.   There is such a wide variation in wood color, a third party chart will not be any better.

If you are trying to identify the wood within the box, the amounts provided my be your best help to match it to the box chart.

In this case the lighter wood should definitely be the maple.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

9 hours ago, Gregory said:

Unfortunately, that color chart on the box is as good as it gets.   There is such a wide variation in wood color, a third party chart will not be any better.

If you are trying to identify the wood within the box, the amounts provided my be your best help to match it to the box chart.

In this case the lighter wood should definitely be the maple.

Thanks Gregory,

I sort of realized that the larger bundle would be for the deck, only one issue, it's the lighter of the two.

What I think is Tanganika is a Red/Orane brown, and conversely, Maple is the slightly darker.... Difficult to tell....

I'll take a photo later today.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. 

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Posted (edited)

There are lots of different colors of maple, including figured maple like curly maple.  If you look at my Pegasus log you can see the maple I used for the deck.  If you look at my Badger build, I believe the deck wood that came with the Caldercraft kit was tanganyika.  The maple was a lot lighter than the tanganyika.  If I recall correctly, the Badger deck (tanganyika) was oiled with tung oil which brought out some richness and a golden sheen to it.  The maple on the Pegasus deck does not have a finish on it, but I would expect it to change in color and tone a bit as well depending on what is used.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

There are lots of different colors of maple, including figured maple like curly maple.  If you look at my Pegasus log you can see the maple I used for the deck.  If you look at my Badger build, I believe the deck wood that came with the Caldercraft kit was tanganyika.  The maple was a lot lighter than the tanganyika.  If I recall correctly, the Badger deck (tanganyika) was oiled with tung oil which brought out some richness and a golden sheen to it.  The maple on the Pegasus deck does not have a finish on it, but I would expect it to change in color and tone a bit as well depending on what is used.  

Thanks Mike,

I have not had a look at your ships yet, I have been preoccupied with resolving the Second Planking/Deck planking.

I had a "Deep Dive" into the second planking.... 

(The kit provides "Just enough" material in my calculations.)

In the first couple of photos the top three bundles are Walnut for the majority of the Hull. (Short the Rubbing Strakes which I am assuming is in the Strip Wood bundle, not shown.)

The second to bottom bundle, is, the only thing I can think of, is planking for the Inner Bulwarks, definitely not Maple....

The third bundle is what I am assuming is Deck Planking, (The third photo is a closer view of this material.)

Tanganika? (It doesn't even come close to the "Key" on the kit box.... 🙂)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Tanganika  does not bring up any result on the Wood Database.

It appears to be a advertising catchall name for whichever wood the African wood supplier could provide that day.

Walnut is a wood with a similarly misleading name.  It is about the color, definitely not actual tree.  one of many African Mahogany-like species.

If the pattern holds, the Maple may be Obeche - especially if it is soft.

All are probably coarse grain, brittle/friable, open pore,

I predict that none of it will be rewarding to work.  That it will fight you all of the way.

Ideal is a variety of low cost readily available domestic species that are hard to very hard, straight grain, fine texture, no pores.  

For POB, the lower volume of wood needed allows some leeway on affordable prices for substitutes.  For POF, volume for framing stock is significant.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

17 minutes ago, Jaager said:

Tanganika  does not bring up any result on the Wood Database.

It appears to be a advertising catchall name for whichever wood the African wood supplier could provide that day.

Walnut is a wood with a similarly misleading name.  It is about the color, definitely not actual tree.  one of many African Mahogany-like species.

If the pattern holds, the Maple may be Obeche - especially if it is soft.

All are probably coarse grain, brittle/friable, open pore,

I predict that none of it will be rewarding to work.  That it will fight you all of the way.

Ideal is a variety of low cost readily available domestic species that are hard to very hard, straight grain, fine texture, no pores.  

For POB, the lower volume of wood needed allows some leeway on affordable prices for substitutes.  For POF, volume for framing stock is significant.

Thank you Jaager,

I did a bit more digging; the wood "Tanganika" seems to now be known as "Aningré Blanc" according to Wikipedia.

I guess I'll be using it for Deck Planking regardless.... 

Thank you also for your mention regarding "Maple" Obeche would appear to be what I have, which would explain the color. (Looks similar to A/L kit wood "Ramin," Inner Bulwark Planking.

I found a representative picture....

Aningre blanc alias Abam, Akatio, Aningueri blanc oder Osam

Aningre blanc Holz Profil

In the interim, I'll continue with my learnings.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks Mike,

Lovely builds!!

Yup, Maple is the very light wood, like the AL kit "Ramin"

As my above reply to Jaager, I'll go with the kit supplied Tanginika for the Deck Planking and the Maple for the Inner Bulwark Planking.

I have time on my side as I am at the early stages of the build, but it is important to have things lined up so to speak.  🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks for the kind words Harry.  The maple I used on my Pegasus came from the former Hobbymill supplier.  I believe he referred to it as "hard maple" but I could be wrong.  I wanted a light colored deck, but didn't want something too stark white like holly and maple fit the bill.  

The "tanganyika" (whatever it might be) is actually a really nice wood, at least the wood that was in my Caldercraft Badger kit.  It works well, and really comes to life when you finish it with wipe-on poly or oil it with tung oil or the like.  You won't go wrong with it.

I think Jaager is right about "walnut" - here is a picture from my Pegasus kit of the various "walnut" pieces.  It's possible they are all walnut (or at least the same species), but my guess is that with the huge variation in color, they might have been different species.  Unfortunately, that forced me to look to replace the kit wood so that the unpainted wood sections looked more consistent.

image.png.5717572e168d0565a0cbeb12507fc2d7.png

Looking forward to your build!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks for the kind words Harry.  The maple I used on my Pegasus came from the former Hobbymill supplier.  I believe he referred to it as "hard maple" but I could be wrong.  I wanted a light colored deck, but didn't want something too stark white like holly and maple fit the bill.  

The "tanganyika" (whatever it might be) is actually a really nice wood, at least the wood that was in my Caldercraft Badger kit.  It works well, and really comes to life when you finish it with wipe-on poly or oil it with tung oil or the like.  You won't go wrong with it.

I think Jaager is right about "walnut" - here is a picture from my Pegasus kit of the various "walnut" pieces.  It's possible they are all walnut (or at least the same species), but my guess is that with the huge variation in color, they might have been different species.  Unfortunately, that forced me to look to replace the kit wood so that the unpainted wood sections looked more consistent.

image.png.5717572e168d0565a0cbeb12507fc2d7.png

Looking forward to your build!

Thanks Mike,

The knowledge is invaluable, thank you. (I've only been doing this for 20 years or so.... 🙂)

With this "Mamoli" kit I am really forced to look at things very closely, translation of components listed also made me look extra closely.

I had another "Session" this morning sorting more Strip and Stick Wood and also came to the realization there was not going to be enough material to plank Deckhouses/Etc.

I found my own stock that should "Foot the bill".

I have been spoilt in the past with the likes of A/L, (Even Mantua), kits in the more clearly defined colors/sizes, not to mention quantity and uses of material provided, 

Anyway, enough of me today,

Thank you to yourself, Jaager and Gergory for the advice and assistance.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson