Realistic Galleon Painting Question

Hi All,

I am a person who tries to represent the Spanish Galleons models that I build as realistic as possible. Having spent 20 years at sea, I am well aware what salt water does to paint. Therefore, when I do a build, I try to finish my galleons with colors and stains etc. that show wear and the effects of salt water over months of sailing. My current build is the Apostol San Felipe (1559). The instructions show the stern support brackets as being Gold!  (See below) This is my problem. While I know galleons of this era did use real gold in some areas it does not seem feasable that support brackets would be real gold, and I dont think at that time they know how to create gold paint. Maybe I am wrong, but from what I have read, the paint in that era was really bad. Meaning it didn't last and the same color varied greatly between ships.

QUESTION: Am I wrong in my thinking that stern support brackets would never be gold in color on real Galleons?

Your opinions please..

Bill17214677173025165478372885161645.thumb.jpg.7703be3d83be6a8f3545eb81e5c70dcf.jpg

I would guess they were gilded, covered in gold leaf. They would lay some sort of adhesive/varnish on the wood, then place gold leaf sheets on the wet whatever, burnish it down then varnish over it to seal it. So they were not solid gold, but covered in a very thin gold coating.

I've been working on galleons for a while.
This looks nice on a model. But I don't believe at all that this was the case in reality.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thibaultron said:

I would guess they were gilded, covered in gold leaf. They would lay some sort of adhesive/varnish on the wood, then place gold leaf sheets on the wet whatever, burnish it down then varnish over it to seal it. So they were not solid gold, but covered in a very thin gold coating.

That's the same technique they used on a lot of the gold materials found in King Tut's tomb. I saw an exhibit of the items many years ago and the coolest part was that once you got up close, you could see the impressions left on the gold leaf by the fingers of the people who applied it. As for the support brackets on the galleon, I'd think that's the manufacturer deciding it would be easier to provide cast pieces instead of carved wood.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Stevinne

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Posted (edited)

From what I've read... thibaultron is mostly correct. Galleons of that era were oft times elaborately decorated with gold and/or 'gilt' finishes for the purpose of displaying wealth, power, and the status of the ship's owners, country, etc. That being said, and for whatever it's worth... the Atocha has yet to give up any valuable artifacts from any stern decorations. If there was any heavy gold there it would have been found. Odds are that any gold decoration/glitter of sternpost decoration, on the Atocha, was gilded and quickly claimed by the sea via time and degradation... if it existed at all.       

Edited by tmj

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Thanks guys for your response. I agree with everything said. But what about the doors and windows? They are what brought into question the autheticity of the gold color stern brackets. For sure the doors and windows would not have been gilded!??? I am not a fan of photo-eching. I just question their (OcCre) use of gold color.

Bill

My thoughts were/are a bit different.  They may very well have used yellow ochre paint since gole, even brass was expensive and a storm and/or combat could (and often times did) blow away decorations and external members.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A very interesting question Bill. I am currently building a Spanish Galleon (find it here) and can't bring myself to use any gold as it seems too elaborate 'for the day'. I have even followed all the paint guidelines and will be heart broken when I have to weather what I have so carefully created. I always try to be as authentic as possible without the elaborate decoration.

Cheers, Peter

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:  USS Enterprise (CV-6) - I Love Kit - 1:350   

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II BOTTLE (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour                                      (1:65), Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

Scratch build HMS Victory BOTTLE (1:530), Wolfpack PBY-3 Catalina (1;72), Scratch build MS Sibajak 1928 BOTTLE (1:1150),

Imai Kagaku Spanish Galleon 1607 (1:100), Brandenburg State Yacht 1679 (1/200), HMS Endeavour (1/450) BOTTLE PLUS  approx. 13 more ships in bottles