USS Baltimore CA-3 1890 by Jsk - Heinkel Models - Scale 1/200 - CARD

Here we go again...

One of the great benefits of card models is that, in their un-built state, they can literally occupy zero space. Nada. No storage concerns, whatsoever. Perhaps the wise builder invests a little storage space in getting professionally printed kits with all the bells and whistles, laser cut formers, etc. I've never been accused of wisdom.

There's a model designer whose work I have frequently admired. Company name of Heinkel. I believe the designer is Fernando Perez Yuste. He's designed a lot of American Civil War ships and has expanded into the pre-Dreadnought era. When I saw the USS Baltimore show up on Wargame Vault I decided to splurge and add it to my virtual stash. (I say splurge but let's face it, card modelers seldom really spurge--Shipyard models excepted. The Baltimore cost me $15.25US. And I had credit on WV so in reality it cost me nought.) A couple of weeks later WAK published the Baltimore for a princely sum of $12.82US and they can provide laser cut parts and gun barrels, etc for additional funds. (Oh my, just noticed WAK's on-line shop is closed due to the floods in Europe. Here's hoping for a quick return to normal life for everyone!)

So a little about the USS Baltimore. The US Navy was caught in the financial doldrums for twenty years after the Civil War. In the 1880s and 1890s the Navy reinvented itself by designing, purchasing and building new, high-tech steel hulled ships. The Baltimore was one of the first generation of new armored cruisers of the new navy. Built to a British design, she was launched in 1890.

The following pictures are from John D. Alden's "American Steel Navy":

balt-002.jpg.9ee3a87892e8e12326ca9a5b25555912.jpg

balt-003.jpg.d9555663d12fd9a486b11b8bcbe5bbf5.jpg

I won't detail the history of the ship here. She's pretty well documented on Wikipedia and there are many photos at Navsource.org. But, like the more famous Spanish American ship USS Oregon, the Baltimore fought in the Spanish-American War, served as a mine layer in WWI and was present (though as a hulk) at Pearl Harbor in WWII. A last poignant picture from Navsource.org, 1944, just before being scrapped:

balt-002a.jpg.6b0d881b88107b66744e0c6c08bc7b70.jpg

The Model

balt-001.png.acdce62010f44864a8f8d7368faf3160.png

This is my first Heinkel model. There is a bare minimum of written directions but the pictorial instructions should be enough. It's also the first test of my laser printer. I will state, however, the design is for A4 paper. North American builders should be aware that if you print at 100% on letter size paper you will most likely lose the top and bottom edges of the model parts sheets. You can print on legal size paper without issues. Also be aware that the finished model is a full 51cm long (20+ inches). So not really a small model.

balt-005.jpg.51d9f1f3ff6f2c13766b9d6696deca6c.jpg

balt-004.jpg.468351e5ab61ecf4d2022c8585d51ce2.jpg

Now, I've been planning on this build for a while. Consequently, I've been stocking up on that cool European 1mm card supplied by Seahorse as I've worked my through the Revenue Cutter. I've printed out most of the interior parts and used a glued stick to laminate most of them to card.

balt-006.jpg.933c81e0df07f2b6bb2db371628becbe.jpg

Cutting will probably begin tomorrow.

balt-007.jpg.2c4eda8506f447d57b27b2a1723622c1.jpg

• The title was changed to USS Baltimore CA-3 1890 by Jsk - Heinkel Models - Scale 1/200 - CARD

Really looking forward to watching this one come together -- love the subject, and of course I love the build medium as well. I always enjoy seeing kits by designers who are unfamiliar to me -- it's kind of like letting you be the guinea pig instead of me!

Best of luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix