Proxon micro Shaper

Greetings one and all,

Has anyone had experience of, or have owned, the Proxon MT 300 Micro Shaper?

I am considering buying one but thought it best to consult my peers first.

I look forward to receiving words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance,

Mike. 

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Mike,

Hmmm, no I have not heard of this tool. But you spiked my interest as well.  This may be informational for you

Possibly other members could address how this tool works with much much smaller wood pieces for adding trim detail to planks?

R/

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you Michael and Brian.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Thanks QA but these are both too big for what I have in mind. It is micro/minature shaping that I am looking at. I have used and owned my fair share of normal router tables, even made my own on a couple of occasions, and I still possess a pair of ELU tools. What I have in mind is the batch production of such items as knees and corner braces that can be produced to shape in a length of say 10 x 10mm material and then simply sliced up by saw.

Thank you for your interest and I hope I do not sound ungrateful.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Janos,

Many thanks for the positive response!

I think I will add this to my tool inventory in the near future.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Have a look at this Mike.

http://miniatures.about.com/od/cuttingtools/f/Where-To-Find-Router-Bits-Or-Cutters-For-Scale-Mouldings-And-Dolls-House-Trims.htm

There also seems to be a limited range of 3.2 mm shank cutters so make sure you can get the profiles you need. Must say I was unaware that you could get miniature moulding cutters with 1/4" shank.

Found this as well.

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/miniature.pdf

http://www.wealdentool.eu/press/WWP_50th_issue.pdf

Edited by Q A's Revenge

Thank you cees,

My mind is made up .....nearly! I will probably end up with three more Proxon tools to go with my scroll saw.....or maybe four more. Happily retired as I am and with no major financial worries I still feel guilty about spending money on such things. Does anyone know a cure for this condition?

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I bought my first proxxon tool the MF70 miller a few weeks ago and put it to work a few days ago.More than happy with the performance and I was getting accuracy around 5/100ths of a mm so  I have nothing but praise for the product and won't hesitate to add more of their tools to my lineup.It does exactly what it is supposed to do,yes I wouldn't use it to machine a v8 engine block,but that is not what it is designed for.The beauty of the proxxon range is that they make the tools we want that others don't.

Kind Regards Nigel 

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Mike, you got me thinking. I think a laminent cutter set in a small bench top router table would be perfect. plenty of power to cut fine details in hardwood. The chuck would be much smaller as well. I will probably make my own table that attaches to the front of my workbench for flexability :)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hi Brian

The machine comes with two stepped clamps to hold various thickness material but I also purchased the precision vice to go with it..I have the cheap proxxon machine vice I use for the pillar drill but bought the precision one for the miller.All faces a surface ground square and it is a very nice piece of kit.

Kind Regards Nigel

Yes Brian,they do a larger miller,but this is for larger jobs and model engineering.The large machine doesn't have a high enough RPM to run small cutters.The MF70 runs up to 20,000 rpm so no problem using their smallest milling cutter which is 1mm.I think for the general work we encounter on model ships,this is probably the most versatile machine off the shelf.I have seen pictures of Alex Banarov's cnc mill on his forum,it's custom built and looks like something from the space program,but perhaps a little too extravagant for our needs.He actually produces carvings with this machine from a 3D computer model.

Kind Regards Nigel

thank you Nigel. There are two Proxxon machines on their web page and the dearer one is over $ 1,600-

They have two other Milling machines, the FF230 and FF500. Both of these are Milling Machines designed to cut metal, hence their spindle speeds of 180-2500 and 280-2500. The MF70 is really an overhead router given the 5000-20,000 spindle speed so seems to be designed for cutting wood and plastics. Ideal for most miniature wood working.

My Milling Machine only goes up to 2540 rpm but seems to cut wood fine, but I hasten to add the smallest cutter I've tried in it was 1/2" diameter!

If I need to cut really small soft stuff I'll mount a dremel on the head!

This is mine, probably a bit big for you :-)

IMGP1691_zps768a8500.jpg

Thank you cees,

My mind is made up .....nearly! I will probably end up with three more Proxon tools to go with my scroll saw.....or maybe four more. Happily retired as I am and with no major financial worries I still feel guilty about spending money on such things. Does anyone know a cure for this condition?

Mike.

I think Dr. Per can help: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/474-therapy-for-shipaholics/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark,

My "couch" sessions are all booked. 

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

• 7 months later...

I have a number of Proxxon tools (9) and am very happy with them. I have mounted my Proxxon Router into a home made router table. It works well.

post-1505-0-07408500-1404687325_thumb.jpg

I have used Perspex on the table top and to contain sawdust at the rear of the table. It hooks into a vacuum cleaner.

The aluminium fence is adjustable with a couple of wing nuts.

post-1505-0-35606600-1404687518_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-76088900-1404687559_thumb.jpg

The Router is easy enough to mount and access for height adjustment

post-1505-0-70450100-1404687627_thumb.jpg

It is great for fine cuts such as the steps to my Cutter Mermaid which were 2 x 2mm

post-1505-0-23188000-1404687753_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I have the Triton Work Centre and the Triton 2400w saw to go with it - beast of a thing! The only time it would be useful for ship modelling was if you were building 1:1 - or maybe Noah's Ark!! I looked at the plunge router and table but the cost and limited amount of use I would have for it meant that couldn't justify its purchase (very unusual for me! :))

I have however purchased a Ryobi 350W Trimmer/Router (model EVT359RG). It was inexpensive ($100 at Bunnings) and easy to mount into a homemade table similar to the one I made for the Proxxon Mini Plunge Router. I use it to make display bases for my models - which are outrageously priced in hobby stores! - It paid for itself after 3 bases!

post-1505-0-96364900-1404777406_thumb.jpg

[post-1505-0-78585200-1404777478_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-51376100-1404777503_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-30553900-1404777528_thumb.jpg

The pedestals I knock up on my proxxon wood lathe

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina