What is the best gold spray paint brand?

What is the best gold paint (brush application)?

What techniques do you use to get the shiniest gold finish?

What finish should be applied over gold to keep it looking shiny?

Any other decorative metallic paint colours would also be helpful (brass, silver, copper).

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

I'm not sure about paint.  I know that a lot of hobby/craft shops sell liquid gold leaf which works very well.  Just use a normal sable paint brush.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you can find it... Floquil had a great line of "metal" paint. This was discontinued a long time ago, but I've seen some show up in the "discount" paint basket at my local hobby shop... still very much useable.

Otherwise, try Humbrol enamels.

Both can be applied by brush or airbrush

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Goes without saying that a black undercoat will help the gold shine. Vallejo has some excellent metallics but they need thinning.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Goes without saying that a black undercoat will help the gold shine.

Yes, and the glossier, the better.

Actually, I remembered this stuff:

http://alclad2.com/

Bar none, the best metal finish on the market. Provided you follow the instructions explicitly!

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Dumb question to add to post, what happens when you prime something, then paint a glossy gold paint, then layer it with gloss polyurethane.  Does that help make it more real?  I ask because this may save me money when I have to make a ship part gold, thanks!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Maybe realistic gold would be better with a satin finish?

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Actually, I remembered this stuff:

http://alclad2.com/

Bar none, the best metal finish on the market. Provided you follow the instructions explicitly!

I have only used the aluminium versions of Alclad2 on model aircraft. You really do get a very realistic metal finish. I would hope that their gold also works. One disadvantage is that it needs to be sprayed. Lots of masking! Second disadvantage is that metal paints tend to show up every imperfection if the surface is large; although I imagine that should not be a problem for you Casey?

Brian I like the idea of gold leaf - Is it expensive?

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

With Alclad you do neet to spray the metallic onto a gloss black finish in a lot of cases and the black has to be cellulose or the metallic will strip it.

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Brian confession time - I was trying to use a quote from Andy who posted the link - sorry Andy!

Norman Alclad have their own black primer which sprays beautifully, dries fast and as Andy points out - nice and shiny :) Mind you I have never tried it on wood - might need a coat of another paint to seal?

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Brain,

True scale colour does vary from real life. Copper plating on a vessel was only that brilliant when brand new, but most seem happy with it. Personally I think if it looks right then it is. You can always tone it down with a satin coat if you think it is too bright

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

hi,

I've never used gold (or any other metallic colour for that matter on wood).

I think most leading paint brands (Humbrol, Vallejo, Revell, Testors, Model Master )have very good golds (Model Master's "Brass" is great and is very close to gold).

I think a stroll in an art shop would give offer you the opportunity to find a wider variety of paints (as well as gold leaf) than in a hobby shop. There you could also find several shades of gold (antique, rennaissance etc).

Hope I was helpful,

Constantinos

I've had a Krylon Gold Leafing pen for maybe 10 years and it still flows like it was new. Gives great coverage, drys quickly and looks great! I've just added the silver pen and it works just as well. I got these from Michaels art supplies in Canada but have seen them in craft departments of other stores as well.

http://www.krylon.com/products/leafing-pens/

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

• 2 weeks later...