Greek Bireme by bensid54 - FINISHED - RADIO

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

I have drilled holes on the port and starboard side to be my oar locks, the wire you see will become the oar locks themselves and finally what the oars and locks will look like in place. Next I will drill and install the guide pins for the race track and after that mount the racks and oars in the boat.

post-12226-0-78748000-1403979190_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-15739600-1403979204_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-04195800-1403979215_thumb.jpg

I thought I would have enough room at first but it didn't work out that way and if I do make the mechanics to place in the boat it just won't look right. I was debating doubling the size and today ordered two gear reduction motors and speed controls which will have plenty of torque to move a bigger boat. This one I will make to look scale now that I've had a bit of practice building Biremes.

Good choice.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice start. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

The first one will sit until some time after this one is complete. I have traced all the patterns minus slotted areas onto a 4x4 piece of oak plywood then I will use African sepili hardwood veneer on the ribs and keel to give them the proper look and thickness. This is going to take some time but I will do a better job of posting my progress with more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

The keel and ribs have been carefully cut out keeping between the lines to the best of my ability. The keel is being veneered gradually with African Sepili as shown in the picture, using thinned white glue and many clamps side by side. One picture shows the veneered portion of the keel prior to final sanding, I'm happy with the results so far. The ribs/bulkheads are flat on the deck surface so those surfaces will be reference points in regard to marking the centre lines for all ribs/bulkheads. This is the part of the build I'm being very careful to get right so I won't have more problems down the road. 

post-12226-0-61630200-1405720468_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-04410000-1405720487_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-99273100-1405720500_thumb.jpg

This is the backbone of the build. Because I'm working with mechanics that require things to be square and inline I'm using the only flat surface the boat has and that is the deck. This beam will be directly below deck the bulkheads and all the rest of the ship will conform to it.

post-12226-0-13294400-1406399061_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You Omega1234 it does sort of look like a centipede now that you mention it. I plan on taking my time to get the look of it just right so it could be put on display when completed. The mechanics will be fun when the time comes, the plan is coming together and when it's done the rowing action should be smooth with no jerking or sudden movements over any phase of the rowing cycle. I'm going to have to watch some rowing videos to get a pattern for the oars to travel in. The oars will be designed to be removable because otherwise I'm bound to break a few when transporting it to the pool or pond.