HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Jason, Jim, I'd like to ask you about the 3mm blocks, have you filled down those blocks corners or did you strop them as they were in the kit?

Cheers 

I used a "block tumbler" to round off the edges of the 3mm blocks, it rounds off the hard edges.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Time for a kind of hair-cut to the elevation screw...

Jason, how did you reduce the height of the screw, using a plier or a tumbler tool?

Thanks again

The same wire cutters used on the other brass wire, you do want to be carefull.  Top can then be filed to remove any sharp edges.

Hooks are looking good.  If you haven't already, I'd suggest making up one full set and seeing how they look on the carronade.  You don't wan't to make all the hooks and then find they're not going to work.  Its hard to tell the size, but you do want to be careful to ensure the hooks aren't too long otherwise there won't be any space between the blocks.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

The same wire cutters used on the other brass wire, you do want to be carefull.  Top can then be filed to remove any sharp edges.

Hooks are looking good.  If you haven't already, I'd suggest making up one full set and seeing how they look on the carronade.  You don't wan't to make all the hooks and then find they're not going to work.  Its hard to tell the size, but you do want to be careful to ensure the hooks aren't too long otherwise there won't be any space between the blocks.

Copy that, Jason.

Thanks

Well, you're right Jason, hooks are really too long... :(  :angry:

I still believe that the transformed eyelets to hooks are more authentic....

The point is that i need to cut/reduce their stem to have room for the tackling.

I wonder if I can find smaller in aftermarket...

Edited by Stergios

Making hooks with the 2mm photo etch "eyebolts" definitely gives a smaller hook (its what I used) than with the 3mm wire kit supplied ones - they come in sets of 250 from CMB.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason, do you mean those 0,3 mm eyelets? 

C83505 Brass Etched Eyelet 0.3mm (250)

Thanks!

Yes - those are the ones, got my sizes all mixed up!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks again Jason..

What type of 3 mm blocks have you used for the gun tackling, natural or walnut?

Cheers.

Walnut - they do lighten up when they've been sanded in the block tumbler

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

New kids (0,3 mm eyelets) on the block...

I tried to use the aftermarket brass hooks (like Jim) but really no enough space for the couple of them, needed in every side of the carronade. 

Using those 0,3 mm eyelets I'm ok with the setting of the standing & running rigging of the tackling

post-944-0-11154200-1394637884_thumb.jpg

I start to prepare the tackling.

It;s my first time but it seems a painfull story, I'm not sure.... should I assemble it on the deck or not ?....

But above all, the real head-ache is doing the "frapping"... :(

I think that I need at least a length of 15 cm for the running rigging and a knot as a final starter to turn the edge of the line 4-5 times around the tackling...

post-944-0-24761800-1394812396_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-51203100-1394812398_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-70992400-1394812399_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-63512100-1394812401_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-20632600-1394812404_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-04773000-1394812406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

It;s my first time but it seems a painfull story, I'm not sure.... should I assemble it on the deck or not ?....

But above all, the real head-ache is doing the "frapping"... :(

I think that I need at least a length of 15 cm for the running rigging and a knot as a final starter to turn the edge of the line 4-5 times around the tackling...

You seem to have it thought out Stergios, its definitely a tedious process but feels so good when complete.  The technique that worked best for me was to make up the tackles off the ship first (loosely), attach and then gradually tighten.  You are right, there is a lot of wasteage of the thread between attaching the hooks and the actual tackle, but its better to be safe than sorry as its not a big expense.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

You seem to have it thought out Stergios, its definitely a tedious process but feels so good when complete.  The technique that worked best for me was to make up the tackles off the ship first (loosely), attach and then gradually tighten.  You are right, there is a lot of wasteage of the thread between attaching the hooks and the actual tackle, but its better to be safe than sorry as its not a big expense.

Thank you Jason, for the moment I'm studying your technique...