Virginia by Littlebob - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Virginia1.jpg

Virginia3.jpg

Virginia4.jpg

Like the title says Virginia by Latina, should be a nice simple build. The first pic is the box for those who don't know what the kit looks like, the second is all the bulk heads installed on the keel (all have been faired) and in the last pick the false deck has been glued and nailed. All comments and questions welcome.

Robert:

Very neatly done so far. Good work.

What did you do to simulate the caulking between deck planks?

Russ

Good looking hull. The planking shows very nice hull lines and the keel, stem, and sternpost bring the entire thing together very well. Great work.

Russ

Thanks Pete for the deck boards I used a very thin piece of steel wire in a pin vice give it a little twist and push at the same time and than I color in the indent with an 8B pencil.

Thanks Russ I am surprised the Latina hull came out this good.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

Looking good so far the Virginia makes into a nice model and is open to heavy modification if you have the desire.

David B

Virginia22.jpg

Virginia20.jpg

Virginia21.jpg

Time for an update, the first pic shows the area around the stern post planked as well as the outside of the transom, I also added the wood name plate backing and painted it black to receive the Virginia brass PE letters.

The second pic shows the inside of the transom planked and I added a small piece of wood between the deck boards and the transom base (not sure what you call it) I also added the 2 ribs against the transom and I planked the inside of the bulwarks. All comments welcome.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia86.jpg

Virginia87.jpg

Way past time for an update. I planked the outer bulwarks and got a good start on the lower planks. the reason it took so long is a few of the planks shifted position and I didn't notice till they were dry so off they came.

As you can see from the pic one of the lower planks has a big difference in color, I think I will either live with the color or paint the lower hull. All comments welcome.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

Not bad but if you take of a few of the lower planks on start taping near the bow your runs will be better and more accurate.  There a several books on planking.  I found a good one by Donald Dressel titled Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders.

David B

You are doing a very neat job of planking. You may end up liking the color contrast on the lower hull.

Russ

Hi Robert

Just came across your log. You are doing some really nice work there - very clean and crisp. I like the contrast you are setting up between the upper and lower planking even though I'm more a fan of the painted hull.

I'll follow along.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

That looks great. The cherry stain works well against the lighter colored bulwarks. Very good work.

Russ