Dremel collets/chucks

Does anyone know of an online source of collets and or chucks that will fit a dremel (1/8 inch I think) to enable smaller micro drill, pinvice type bits to be used and also larger pieces?

I've just got the work station/drill press for my dremel and want to use my smaller hand drills in it. I'm also interested in possibly using it as a rudimentary lathe if I can find a regular power drill type chuck that would allow it to take larger dowels.

The drill press that isn't until I can find a better collet.

post-271-0-23662400-1404016071_thumb.jpg

Dremel collet on right, pinvice next to it. I want something like the pinvice collet that fits the dremel.

post-271-0-17472100-1404016101_thumb.jpg

I have found chucks like you are looking for on eBay.  Model Expo sells one that fits in the regular Dremel collet that will hold micro drills.  Amazon also sells these.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Does anyone know of high quality chucks for the #70 - #80 range of bits? All the ones I have used have had wobble in the bits. I wish I could find a brand that will hold the bits straight and true.

Richard 

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

You should be able to get the dremel collets from amazon. The small one that came with my dremel works well for small bits. I'm not sure about the size though, maybe a 1/32?

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Richard,

I have the Dremel chuck also and it runs true.  If you have a Lowe's nearby, they carry Dremel products and might carry the chuck.  Otherwise, Google is your friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The problem I've always had with the smaller collets and bits is runout. The just don't run true.

Another solution is to order 1/8" shank drill bits from a place like Drill Bit City. They have #80 bits with a 1/8" shank. I've found they work very good.

Thanks

Harvey

Wackowolf, this might be a topic for a separate thread, but do you sharpen your bits or just get new ones when they wear out?  If you sharpen them how do you do it?

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I have been testing drill bits from separate manufacturers.  I have ordered cheap Chinese on E-bay and not so cheap at McMaster-Carr.

As a result of this thread, I ordered a set from drill bit city this morning. 

Driving this research is my attempt at creating finer nailing patterns on copper hull plates. This is also the reason I am testing different chucks.  No sense having a great bit with poor quality chuck.

I use both a Dremel workstation for simple, hand held drilling and my micro mill its x-y table for drilling out complex hole patterns such as on the copper plating. I suspect I will need different chucks for each machine I use.  I tried two of the Dremel chucks that I already have, both on the Workstation and on the Micro Mill by inserting it into the mini mill chuck but am not happy with the result.

Richard

Richard

Thanks!  That's how I feel too. (esp the too old part)

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I just get new ones, they are way to small to go trough the trouble of sharpening them ( I am to old for that ), also the ones I use all the time I buy in bulk.

Joe I hear you, the drills with the 1/8th inch shaft are much better for us.  I must say though that over 1/16th I sharpen them myself. Sometimes it is a little frustrating, must be the weather on those days. I was drilling through some drill stem on the boat trailer and had to resharpen the 5/16 bit 4 or 5 times and sometimes resharpen because I had not got it right. even after 50 years of practice it still takes a gentle touch, and doesn't always work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The 1/8 shank bits from drill bit city have resolved my problem with wobble.

Great tip thanks.

Richard

Richard