HMB Endeavour by DaveRow - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:60 - First Build Kit

This is really stunning work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Back at last in the Shipyard.

Slight delay with my daughter's 21 preparations and event. All good, happy daughter, happy captain.

After some hours and hours of reviewing the materials I gathered for the masts, I finally got underway some days ago on the ForeMast and Mast Tops.

Along the way I tested 2 ways to show the Hoops and Wooldings:

post-13593-0-86102000-1471325440_thumb.jpg

This hoop version is turned from the mast shaft on the lathe, and whilst pretty happy with the outcome, I have not worked out a way the replicate it about the upper hoops/wooldings. So...

post-13593-0-76120800-1471325443_thumb.jpg

This hoop version is card wrapped twice about the shaft and held with CA glue(it soaks in) and I am happy, it comes up good enough to run with for the masts.  :)

Lets get started:

So a few Pics of the startup process for preparing the Foremast with the hounds(I call them cheeks) and bibs.

You can see the "turned" hoops to the bottom of the mast. These were removed and replaced wiht the standard card version.

post-13593-0-38742100-1471325454_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-68672900-1471325450_thumb.jpg

Added the lower timber hoop pairs(for woolding) and single hoops

Card wrapped to simulate the timber hoops.

Single ones I used black(same as other masts fomr other builds) which I suspect were metal. ?

post-13593-0-19898900-1471325438_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-41712500-1471325432_thumb.jpg

Masthead

I cut in Grooves for the hoops to lay in, so the mast battens lay flat on the stub.

Not sure if hoops up at the top were timber of metal. I am using Black card(for metal) strips to sit in the grooves.

post-13593-0-21670000-1471325427_thumb.jpg

Mast Tops - three made at once.

Lots of work to go.

post-13593-0-24500500-1471325447_thumb.jpg

Next Update:

Working on the Fore Mast Top, Trestles & Cross Trees.

Cheers

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hello David,

Just a question to day. I was getting ready to start building masts and compared the mast section lengths on the Corel plans to the AOS. It appears that the AOS sections are considerably longer then the Corel plans. Did you find this as well?

Regards,

Hello David,

Just a question to day. I was getting ready to start building masts and compared the mast section lengths on the Corel plans to the AOS. It appears that the AOS sections are considerably longer then the Corel plans. Did you find this as well?

Regards,

Looking good Dave.

As to the mast lengths, Pat informed me that the AOS isn't accurate because according to Karl the author, the publisher altered the scales on some of the drawings. I don't know about the accuracy of corel plans but the caldercraft plans are full of scale inaccuracies.

Cheers Dashi

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

Dash,

I enlarged the scale of the AOS drawings to 1:60. The Corel plans are 1:1. There is still a considerable difference  4-6 cm depending on the mast; fore, main, or mizzen.

Thanks

Hello Dashi and Ca.shipwright,

I have seen and read quiet a bit of discussion about the Endeavour mast heights in this forum.

I've used the dimensions from the "Woolwich Yard 16 October 1771" draft. But using the taller Mizzen as per Shardlow Report.

I calculated what the mast heights above deck would be, as it depends on where each rests on the model structure below(my model).

I scaled the AOTS page 84 to match the above deck lengths for each mast.

I don't know what the Caldercraft deck heights are.

The Corel were a little different to the AOTS.

Dashi,

I did a check/comparison to what I had come up with, against what you came up with in the log you posted.

Pretty close, and any slight mm difference, be hard to pick.

If I have stuffed it up, can raise/lower the mast bottoms.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

The AMM Endeavour Replica in Sydney, lowered the Mizzen Mast Top recently.

Here it is on the deck.

post-13593-0-20052400-1471391937.jpg

There is a short video on the Facebook Page of it coming down.

Good timing I say, when I am making them for my model.

Dave R

Edited by DaveRow

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hello David,

Regards,

Once I got past the hull construction(I was using the Corel plans) I realized with all the changes I had made, I did not trust the authenticity/accuracy of the Corel plans at all.

I bought the AOTS, got into reading the MSW logs of several other Endeavour builds, this convinced me I was into a kit bash. Corel plans put aside.

I've since tried to follow the AOTS, retro to the hull I made.

That said, my Endeavour has a longer bowsprit, so I have gone out on a limb !

Masts... I think Dashi's separate log about the mast lengths covered it all in depth.

But I got lost in all the long discussions.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Beautiful work - thanks for showing your technique on the mast woldings - I'll definitely borrow this technique for future builds!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Dave, I went and had a peek at the replica facebook page as you suggested and see they have taken the mizzen top mast and top down. You can see that the height of the mizzen standing mast from deck to top is too short for the top mast to clear the top when lowered via it's top rope, so it appears they had to use a crane to lift the top mast up through the top to remove it as Shardlow predicted in his report. I wonder if they are going to raise the standing mast and step it in the lower deck?

cheers Dashi

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

Hi Dave,  I have been on a reasonably long road trip and return to find the great progress you have made - looking very good my friend!  those masts have come up very nicely and I can see that your joinery and lathe work have improved significantly to be able to get these results.

Glad to hear the 21st went well - as you say a happy Captain :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dave

When the model railroaders add items to the stock cars and engines they call it super-detailing. Your super detailing of this kit  is utterly amazing.

Regards

Hello David,

I am at a loss with regard to how to handle the mast caps. The bases and tops of the upper and topgallant mast sections are all squared off while the majority of the sections remain round. The Corel supplied mast tops have 1 square and 1 round hole.

My thinking is that the square bottoms of the upper mast sections fit into the trestletrees. Other than cutting the mast caps in half, how do you get the square peg through the round hole? Or, am I not reading the plans correctly?

Thanks

Hello David,

I am at a loss with regard to how to handle the mast caps. The bases and tops of the upper and topgallant mast sections are all squared off while the majority of the sections remain round. The Corel supplied mast tops have 1 square and 1 round hole.

My thinking is that the square bottoms of the upper mast sections fit into the trestletrees. Other than cutting the mast caps in half, how do you get the square peg through the round hole? Or, am I not reading the plans correctly?

Thanks

Hi ca.s

Been away for a week in Perth W.A.

I am no expert at this, learning as I go along.

If I am right, the top mast sections are each "pulled" up through the hole in the cap.

Will have a further look and post further.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave and Michael

I will post some pics on my build log showing how the masts and caps work

Cheers

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Dave,

Thanks for answering. Steve's explanation is right on with some great photos to boot. See my response to Steve it you want a chuckle.

Regards

Back in the Shipyard - Masts and Tops

Well the yard has been slowly progressing the many items for the above. 

Mast Tops:

So for each of the mast tops I added some "pins" to the under beams to locate the platform accurately for re-assembly.

post-13593-0-44986900-1473035274_thumb.jpg

beams and platform(underside) apart

post-13593-0-25784000-1473035271_thumb.jpg

you get the idea by now !

post-13593-0-99317600-1473035261_thumb.jpg

Aligned to press together.

post-13593-0-50322700-1473035277_thumb.jpg

The underside of the main and fore platforms

Since most of these items are finally painted black(seems most do), not too worried about minor defects or different timbers.

Although it would be nice to have a contrast their somewhere like the AMM Replica Mizz platform.

Started on the Mizzen Mast:

post-13593-0-94337800-1473035280_thumb.jpg

Rough at the moment, >> more work to details.

Cheeks added to the Fore Mast:

post-13593-0-69633500-1473035267_thumb.jpg

Also have Main mast to same stage, shape the cheeks and add the bands.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Funny, Building the platforms and tressel-trees is what I am doing yesterday and today. Yours are looking good. Did you alter the mast caps from Corel use them as supplied or make your own?. I get the pulling the top masts through the, but, the hounds get in the way. Only alternative is to bore out the round hole to a larger diameter. I don't know if the cap will take this. I may have to band the cap with wire to keep it from splitting. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael,

May I answer your question. If your masts are the correct dimensions the topmost hounds should be no larger than the rounded part of the topmost near its base. That way it can raised up through the cap and when in place the cap hole is still a snug fit around the mast

Cheers

Steve

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Funny, Building the platforms and tressel-trees is what I am doing yesterday and today. Yours are looking good. Did you alter the mast caps from Corel use them as supplied or make your own?. I get the pulling the top masts through the, but, the hounds get in the way. Only alternative is to bore out the round hole to a larger diameter. I don't know if the cap will take this. I may have to band the cap with wire to keep it from splitting. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hi Michael,

You are ahead of me a wee bit lad.

I have only just lathed up the rough shape of the Fore and Main topmasts yesterday.

The round at the bottom I came up with 5.2mm dia.

I just had a look at the caps in the Corel kit, bit rough and may use them. Bit of sanding and filling ?

Steve is right.

The hole in the bigger Corel caps(for lower masts) looks like ~ 5.0mm dia. maybe a wee bit bigger. May need to open up just a tad.

That would be right for the hound of the Fore and Main topmasts to go up through. 

I scaled the AoTS page 88 up by 1.07 to get the lengths right to the Woolich lengths. The dia over the hex is a wee bit over 5mm, so all matches up for me.

Today's job in the shipyard:

Adding hoops to the lower masts.

Not going well, not good at winding the card exactly level around the mast/cheeks.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave

Looking Good

You should leave the hoops off the masts like I did. According to Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War the hoops were seldom seen on models before 1800.

Steve

Ah, leave the hoops. They look good. A little artistic license is ok.

Full disclosure: I made hoops also.

Regards

Steve,

Thanks I seem to have overlooked that fact. I will probably remove the hounds and taper the mast more then reinstall them.

Regards

Back on Deck in the Shipyard,

I decided to get into the Mast Tops(platforms), have a break from the masts.

Spent what seems like hours on the Main Mast Top.

Main Mast Top

Inner tapered beams installed:

All notched over the ring beams.

No two(2) beams are the same, 20 all up.

post-13593-0-36453800-1473684543_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-72975300-1473684538_thumb.jpg

Working around the edges with infill timbers:

I lined up the inner edges and left each infill piece overhang around the edges.

Again all 20 different.

post-13593-0-96339700-1473684533_thumb.jpg

Basic main top timber work done:  :) 

Trimmed them off all the way around when all done.

I plan to leave the upper side as is > clear timber finish, black underneath.

Plenty of holes and attachments to go on later.

post-13593-0-60835600-1473684527_thumb.jpg

Only another 2 more to go.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

You are moving right along Dave, great work. I like your idea of leaving the top side naturel.

Nice job on those tops Dave.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)