Dust collecting on Byrnes Machines

Alex I went to the local Menards and went to the shop vac section The have a universal telescoping adapter that you can use to connect your tool to the dust collector. Just cut to size. It is made of rubber The big end goes on the tool and smaller end goes on collector.  My St. Bernard had a chew on the adapter Geoff

post-747-0-96296200-1361908275.jpg

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Oooo good tip. I used masking tape to try and seal the dust extractor to the saw - I thought it was the difference between a uk extractor and a us machine. Didn't think about a handy hoover attachment.. More added to the 'buy' list tsk tsk

Joss

Thanks everyone,

After I posted the question, I heard from Byrnes to check Rockler. Actually, I had done that but I guess I look for things just as my wife says I do...poorly. At any rate, this time I found two fittings that should work depending on your hose size or adapter size. The Rockler part numbers are #42248 and #26967. One end of each of these has an outside diameter of 1-1/2 inches which should fit to the inside of the machine's dust port.

A little more. If you wish to have a hose connect directly to the outside of the fitting on the machines, Flexaust (www.flexaust.com) carries three hoses that have an inside diameter of 1-3/4 inch which should fit on the machine dust port. The hose numbers are FTE-T, cw-gp, and T-7. (Not sure about T-7, so check with one of their sales people. In fact, I'd check with one of their sales staff regardless.)

I just found all of this today and have not yet tried any of these parts. However, going on the specs listed, any of these options should work.

I would appreciate any new information on any of this.

Thanks,

Alex

Anpther thing you can do is buy some PVC adapting couplers.  One size to the vacuum and the other side to the saw.

David b

Edited by dgbot

Just luck of the draw I suppose but the standard flexible vacuum hose (shopvac machines) fits neatly into the ID of the Byrnes machine here (no adaptors needed).  Whereas we pay (very high) transport costs to get Jim's machines here, I suppose this is a small off-set saving :)  - the eternal optimist...

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, 

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering if there were any other solutions to the Byrnes dust port adapter issue.  I ordered a few of the tools recently, and the disc sander arrived yesterday.  I definitely need an adapter fix as my shop vac hose opening is smaller than the sander's dust collection port.  The PVC adapter and shop vac telescoping adapter seem like good solutions.

Since I'll have the table saw, thickness sander and disc sander, I've also been trying to figure out the most convenient way to set up the shop vac so that I'm not constantly taking off and putting on duct tape.  Is it easy enough to install adaptors on each of the three machines, and then just plug the shop vac hose into whatever machine I'm using at the time?  I also saw Floyd's interesting approach of building a centralized connection system where the machines are connected to a common PVC tube, and the shop vac is run into the PVC tube:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1423-design-a-modeling-workshop/?p=28268

Any thoughts on the adapter or how to conveniently centralize the vacuuming across multiple machines would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance!  :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

There are many articles on dust collection systems on the wood working forums. I did a great deal of research when installing the wood shop in our home since it was going into the finished basement, I wanted to minimize any dust leaking out into the rest of the house. There are two areas for dust, directly from the source and ambient. Directly from the source is where you attach the vacuum hoses to your machine and suction the hell out of it while it is operating. Ambient is the dust that escapes from the other side of the cut. For instance table saws tend to have a lot of extra dust thrown away from the saw despite the dust collection system running during the cut. This is especially true if you are using a zero tolerance plate since it does not allow much air to flow.

So there really are two dust collectin systems. I have two boxes that hang from the ceiling on each end of my long shop that circulate the air through filters. This removes the ambient dust. I also have a large dust cyclone dust collection system that pulls from each tool. When I was researching installing it into the workshop there were two options for the piping. Metal and PVC. Metal was more expensive, but it allowed for larger ducting, which kept the suction going, it also kept the static charges from collecting and sparking in the system. Dust traveling a high speed through a PVC pipe will create static. This can discharge and result in the dust setting fire. This can be countered by running a grounding wire throughout the system, but that also is problematic since if there is a break in it, it no longer works and you would not know.

The smaller PVC pipes also keep the suction down, so longer runs from the vacuum itself results in a system that just will not move dust. So the vacuum source has to be larger.

Anyway, probably way more than you wanted. To know, but if you are looking into centralizing your system you need to take these things into account. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time and money and not get something that is workable.

Bill

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Well I managed to find a coupling of two adapters that provide a really good seal without using duct tape. I have a Fein shop vac, which is in metric and has a 35mm hose.  The Byrnes machines' dust port is in inches (I believe 1.75" outer diameter, 1.5" inner diameter).

I ended up buying the following two items:

Shop-Vac 906-87-19 Universal Tool Adapter:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RHKU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bosch VAC003 35mm hose-to-1-1/4" port adapter:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AV77S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I first cut off the largest section (including that square section) and the two smallest sections of the Shop-Vac adapter.  Then I slipped the smaller end of the modified adapter into the machine's dust port.  The Bosch adapter fits onto the vacuum's hose, and then is inserted into the larger end of the modified adapter.  The Shop-Vac adapter is rubber, and the Bosch adapter is plastic, so as you slide the Bosch adapter into the Shop-Vac adapter, you not only are ensuring a tight seal between the two adapters, but also between the Shop-Vac adaptor and the machine's dust port.  The fit is very snug when all is said and done, without needing duct tape or other solution.  

Anyway, just thought I'd share as I spent hours trying to find a solution.  Hopefully this helps out others with Byrnes machines that might be using a shop-vac that is in metric size.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)