HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Hi Jerry...yes I did notice the mention...just poking fun...a question while I'm here, are you using the kit supplied rigging line or a substitute?

J

Good morning, J.

In answer to your question, so far I have been using both.  The kit did not supply any black line so I am using black thread left over from the Victory kit for the shrouds.  The lanyards are strung with kit supplied 0.25mm tan line.  I plan to use black line for some of the additional stays and the kit supplied tan line for the running rigging. in some cases I may use black for the stay but tan for the lanyard part of the stay.  This is similar to the rigging of the victory.

Best,

Jerry

nice progress since I last looked in Jerry.......looking really good!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good evening, Popeye and many thanks for your nice and encouraging words.  It's been fun so far but it looks like things are going to toughen up when I try and attach the little 3mm deadeyes to the upper shrouds.  I'll have to use a very thin thread for these lanyards as the .25mm thread won't pass through the holes.  But i do have some 0.1mm tan thread which should do the trick.  Please visit again..

Best,

Jerry

I have 3.5's..........I just make the holes a bit bigger.........it's a good thing there are different sized thread!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good morning, Popeye... As I mentioned, the lower shrouds are finished.

post-545-0-26173900-1426160163_thumb.jpg

I made a very simple, one very thin wire jig, with which I'll try and string the upper shrouds.  Upon further examination, the deadeyes are actually 3.5mm.

post-545-0-10283700-1426160186_thumb.jpg

Have a great day.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

all the better!   squinting at half speed..........AYE  sir!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Everyone..

Well, I'm happy to say that I was able to complete the upper shrouds using the flimsy "staple" tool I made.  The trick was to find some firm wire with a diameter small enough to fit in the hole of the 3.5mm deadeye.  All in all it went well so I'm ready to move on with the rest of the standing rigging.  The stays seem to be the items to do next.  Here are some pics of today's completed work.

Best to all,

Jerry

post-545-0-41941500-1426197654_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96242400-1426197667_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-37645700-1426197682_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-52311600-1426197691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

looking really good Jerry.......there is no hard rule for this.   usually the fore stays are done first.......the shrouds and back stays.  the shrouds actually have two purposes.....side to side support for the masts,  and as back stays to counter the pull of the fore stays.  in doing the fore stays first though,  one must be careful not to have too much tension on the lines,  or it will distort the mast rake.  with the way you've done it,  you'll have the shrouds to help you from having that happen  :)   it's a win / win for you......nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Dimitris.

Good to see your visit.  I appreciate your comments and the photos will keep coming as long as the telephone stays well.  LOL.

Have a great evening.

Jerry

Hello Popeye..

You are absolutely corect.  Believe me, whether I was building the Victory or now the Half Moon, I have made it a point to be careful so as not to change the angles on any of the masts when doing the shrouds and stays.  It's much easier to change the rake on the half Moon's masts because of their small size in comparison to the Victory's large diameter masts.  I am well into the stay construction and appreciate your well received warning.  I am really enjoying this build.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

I can see that.......the quality of your work shows  :)   no warning really.......never had a thought it was warranted ;)  just throwing it out there as reference for others.  yours and J's logs will serve me well for when my Half Moon comes out of the closet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good afternoon evryone...

Today i began shipping the stays.  I believe there are 11 of them but I'm too lazy to go back and count them again.  I did make some progress in spite of the use of mini rings on some of the blocks.  At this point the dry dock has managed to complete 6 stays and looks forward to the last 5.  Here are some pictures..I sincerely hope they are better than a thousand words.

post-545-0-92394200-1426273402_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03355700-1426273414_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56936000-1426273467_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-63220300-1426273482_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48410500-1426273578_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-65395000-1426273607_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-54432700-1426273629_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56030400-1426273644_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92999600-1426273692_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49575200-1426273761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn.

The rigging adds so much to the look.  And frankly, it's the phase I really enjoy.  I won't go as far as to say I like the rigging best because there are other challanges that are also enjoyable.  Believe it or not, I very much enjoy planking the hull.  Maybe I'm crazy, but it's true.  So I have about 5 more stays to finish and then the running rigging begins.  I have the yards all finished so they're ready to go too.  I plan to pin the yards to the mast to support the authentic attachmenet, the slings, etc.  I don't have any parral beaads or I would probably go that route on the main yard.  So we'll see how it goes in a couple of days or so.  Have a great weekend.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence..

Many thanks for coming by and for your compliment.  I am having lots of fun but now things may change a little.  The admiral started her spring break today and she intends to pick the model she wants to build starting this summer.  Oh Joy!

Best,

Jerry

Hello David..

Thanj you for the nice things you said about my build.  I noticed that you've mentioined a couple of times that you are kit bashing.  What problems have you run into?  I'm sincerely interested if there's a problem with the manufacturer or what?  You usually are flying high at this stage of the build.  Let me hear from you.

Best,

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Thanks for your reply. The start of your rigging is very good, and I really mean that.. You have really enjoyed this build as I can tell. But as far as I am concerned the fun has now started. I I love doing the rigging as you know. I am not enjoying this build at all. It could be something to do with the victory being finished. And the total difference between the two ships. I don't really know. But only 5min ago I sent off an order to CMB for the HMS DIANA and will build them side by side. I am doing a GLENN, and will be a happy bunny again. Wish me luck. Clove hitches, reef knots snagged lines etc you are lucky. Keep enjoying it Jerry. Regards .DAVID.

Good evening everyone...

Today was more work on the stays.  There are a total of 11 stays on this model and 9 are now in place.  The next work shift in the drydock will hopefully complete the stays and thus the standing rigging.  Here are a few more pictures of what took place today.

post-545-0-17704600-1426361353_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-87247700-1426361370_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-01442900-1426361393_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92942900-1426361442_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-63408400-1426361495_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-89754900-1426361518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn..

I agree with David and I think you will agree too....The rigging is the most exciting phase of the build.  For one thing it makes your model REALLY begin to look like an historical vessel, it means you get the results of stringing lanyards to put proper tension on your masts, and it certainly means you're getting closer to the end of a hard worked adventure.  I'm sure there are many addiotional reasons...

Thanks for your compliment; I'm sure you know I appreciate it..

Have a very good night,

Jerry

nice work on the start of your rigging.....are you planning to put sails on her?   I ask because I notice the lion heads along the side....did you drill holes in them?   there are tack lines that go through them.   I got some from Corel for my Billing's build.....and I had a heck of a time doing them off the model........it would be hard to do them on there.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye.

Always good to hear from you.  I am not planning to rig sails on this model.  With respect to the Lions' heads I did not drill them when off the shiop.

post-545-0-29367600-1426689691_thumb.jpg

I know that they need to be drilled but I felt it would be easier (if that's possible) to drill them when mounted .  I have a  high speed wireless drill which I hope will work when the time comes.  I felt it would be best to have them held in place then to try and drill a hole while being held in a vise or similar product. I can just see them flying all over my room when I try and drill them.  Time will tell.  Hope you are having a good day.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everyone..

While I'm at it, I might as well post a few more pictures which will bring me up to date.  Nothing fancy, just the routine rigging and beginning the rat lines.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-98046200-1426690075_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04159200-1426690106_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67214000-1426690120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

if they were brass,  I'd say there should be no problem.......but they are coated.   I do wish you luck in doing it ;)

more fine rigging.......looks super!  your moving right along at a good pace! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks again, Popeye...I know trying to drill the lion heads will be trouble but I will give it a try.  If I have a problem I'll drill a hole next to each one instead.  The  rat lines are very tedious.  Especially as you get to the top and of course the futtock shrouds.  The spacing is very tight and tying clove hitches becomes very difficult but so far, so good.  Here are some more pics.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-42382300-1426700862_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19102200-1426700888_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67270400-1426700915_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48785900-1426700926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry